Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Is your childcare space
blended into your home 31 40.26%
semi-separate with a designated space in your home 41 53.25%
completely separate building from your home 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Your Childcare Space.....
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 09-26-2011
Just wondering what kind of "space" you have for your childcare,

Is your childcare area blended into your home/family or
semi-separate with a designated area within your house or
a completely separate building all together?
youretooloud 08:34 AM 09-26-2011
I have a large room for the kids. BUT, every morning, I take tables and toys and mats out to the kitchen and family room, and every night I take it back. The play room is large enough for everything, but it's just a better set up if I use all the rooms.
JaydensMommy 08:42 AM 09-26-2011
My living room and attached office is used just for the daycare. The kitchen is shared with a table for the kids and also our dining table. We use one of our large bedrooms as our living room with couches and tv. I had our stuff out when I first started and I did not like having to share the space, I'm much happier with it this way. But I do wish I had a completely separate space that I could close the door after daycare and not see it until the next day.
Meyou 08:42 AM 09-26-2011
I have a large room that is just a daycare playroom but I use the surrounding hallways and a large open area daily as well for activity centers. Everything tucks in the playroom at night except the art on the walls....everywhere.
AnneCordelia 08:49 AM 09-26-2011
Well, it's a little of both of the top two choices. I have converted my diningroom into a playspace that is solely for daycare use. My kitchen is used for daycare meals as well as my family and naptime occurs in my craftroom in the basement. My crafting gets tucked into cupboards and the playpens come out.
snbauser 09:52 AM 09-26-2011
Our downstairs is an open floor plan with a dining room, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Think 'L' shaped with the kitchen and bathroom being the short part of the 'L'. The bathroom is shared. The kitchen is used to prepare food for both but the kids are never in the area other than to pass through to the bathroom or outside or wash hands. The living room and dining room are completely daycare.
Lianne 10:08 AM 09-26-2011
My whole home is dedicated to childcare. If it's not being used as a play or sleep area, it's used for storage. My friends all tease me that I don't do daycare out of the home I live in, I live in the home daycare. Up until a few months ago, I didn't even have a couch. I prefered to use the extra space for the kids. I changed things up in the spring and now have space for a couch and the kids. I love it like this though and because I'm single and have no kids of my own, it's not a big deal.
DCMom 10:15 AM 09-26-2011
My childcare is in the lower level walkout of my home; 1000 dedicated square feet with 3/4 bath, bedroom, large playroom and a kitchen area with sink, undercounter fridge and microwave oven. Most of the cooking for daycare is done in the daycare area; I rarely use my full kitchen except in the summer, but then I have lots of help for supervision of the kids.

A few years ago we added a sidewalk/stairs leading to a completely separate entrance. No clients come through my house any longer. That is my favorite feature!
Sugar Magnolia 10:41 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just wondering what kind of "space" you have for your childcare,

Is your childcare area blended into your home/family or
semi-separate with a designated area within your house or
a completely separate building all together?
Separate space, but in FL that makes me a center, not a family daycare. Its too bad, because we are exactly like a large family daycare except we don't live here. Makes many Many MANY more hoops to jump through. Also means we are evaluated using ECERS, not FECERS (the family child care version), and unless an evaluater "gets it", we have to explain out multi age approach over and over again. "Where's your 1 year old room? Where's your preschool room?" Well, there isn't one, its mixed age. "Oh I see, that's tough to evaluate then." Yep.
Holladee 10:53 AM 09-26-2011
My daycare space is not separate. I have a small play space where the toys are kept neat and organized however kids are encouraged to bring the toys to the living room to play where there is more space.

I only have two daycare kids though - and don't plan on anymore! .
WImom 11:05 AM 09-26-2011
My daycare space is my formal living room/dinning room that's off my kitchen. I share the kitchen (only for me for cooking) and the front entry and bathroom. We have a dedicated outdoor space which I love.
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Separate space, but in FL that makes me a center, not a family daycare. Its too bad, because we are exactly like a large family daycare except we don't live here. Makes many Many MANY more hoops to jump through. Also means we are evaluated using ECERS, not FECERS (the family child care version), and unless an evaluater "gets it", we have to explain out multi age approach over and over again. "Where's your 1 year old room? Where's your preschool room?" Well, there isn't one, its mixed age. "Oh I see, that's tough to evaluate then." Yep.
I know exactly how you feel. You are in an essence no different than me.....except that I am allowed to be licensed under family childcare and not as a center. I am working on that though and I have done a bit aof research in that regard but I am comletley surprised at how many hoops they do make you jump through to do that in FL. Here, we just have to follow some really weird rules such as labeling EVERYTHING and taking and charting food temps but NOTHING like you have stated you were made to go through. YIKES!! That would make me reconsider things completley!
morgan24 12:49 PM 09-26-2011
I have a finished walk out basement. One half of that is the daycare space. My upstairs is an open floor plan. I use that for lunch, snacks are done downstairs. I use my 2 extra bedrooms for naps. I don't have any children at home so I have room for play pens and nap mats in them. The only thing I don't like is I don't have a bathroom in the basement so every time I have one that has to use the bathroom or I need to do a diaper change I have to take everyone upstairs. Once I have the kids for awhile I can train them to use the bathroom before we go downstairs and when we go up for lunch and after nap so it does work out.
KEG123 12:51 PM 09-26-2011
Blended. I have my own 3 year old so toys are inevitably going to be everywhere. My hope is that, should we move any time soon, we move to a place where I can have a separate area, like a basement or something for the daycare.
beachgrl 01:10 PM 09-26-2011
I have a dedicated daycare room in my dining room area that is off from my kitchen so we eat in the kitchen area and have an office, hallway and bathroom for the kids to use off the other end. I have my diaper changing area in the hallway so not right in my daycare room. I have baby swing and extra baby gates and such in my office area, there is a train table and other games in our front living rm/family room and our main living room is attached to both my office and the other end of the kitchen. For the most part the kids play and work in the daycare space but i don't get bent out of shape if they drag toys around because the ones I have are good about cleaning up and the boys love the train table. I also have two closets and part of my laundry rm under cabinet area full of daycare storage, lol.
AmandasFCC 01:13 PM 09-26-2011
My play room is in my basement and my family never uses that space. The daycare eats lunch in my family kitchen (required by licensing in my area), and they use my livingroom for watching Sesame Street while I prepare lunch.
Maddy'sMommy 05:00 PM 09-26-2011
I use my daughter's playroom as the main area, then my living room as the nap area, and our dining room and kitchen.

I didn't want a basement daycare because I didn't want to have to deal with stairs.
GotKids 06:01 PM 09-26-2011
I use the main floor of my home for daycare. There is a large living room that I use for napping, preschool activities and some of my manipulatives. I also use the formal living and adjoining formal dining room as our play room where I have some interest areas set up. I have a bathroom that is just for the day care on this floor as well and other than the kitchen and eat in dining room, everything is just for their use.

My family escapes upstairs to their rooms or down stairs to the basement for family time.
themoorethemerrier 07:08 AM 09-27-2011
After the first few weeks of watching my first two, we decided that it was best to make the bedrooms off-limits. That only leaves our living room and kitchen for a potential 16 kids!!! This was one of the reasons that we were considering spending big bucks on putting on an addition and finally putting the master bedroom in the basement to free up another room. Worth it?
Meeko 07:09 AM 09-27-2011
Mine's in a separate home. We moved out of one house and bought a new one...but we use the first one for our day care. My son lives there (he uses two of the four bedrooms...one as a bedroom and one as a living room) and the rest is all day care. Because my son lives there, we are licensed as a family group. (16 kids)
mom2many 08:07 AM 09-27-2011
I have a small one story 1600 ft home that is an open floor plan. I have no off limit areas except for my master bedroom. I have never had the luxury of having a designated daycare area separate from our own family's living space. My daycare is definitely a "home" environment!

The dcks play in my family room/office and the living room that is adjacent to it and we do crafts, preschool activities and eat in the dining room. I have converted our sons old bedroom to my scrapbook room and use that for napping and also use my daughter's old bedroom for napping as well. During the day my home is transformed into a daycare, but come evening and weekends all of the toys, cribs and booster seats are stored away. People are amazed that I do daycare when they come over after hours, because it does not look like a daycare in the least!
irishdancer 08:19 AM 09-27-2011
I have an attached in-law apt. So that is my daycare. Seperate kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Also seperate entrance so my kids and families never go into my main house. That is the only way I could handle having an at home daycare. I like my space to be my personel space and not have nosy parents or messy kids in it. Also I feel like when I cross that threshold at five that i am away from work.
renodeb 09:54 AM 09-27-2011
My dc is in the middle of my home. It was my dining room until I opened my dc. Its not a very big room but it works.
Debbie
Tags:layout, poll
Reply Up