Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sibling Sick
momma2girls 11:14 AM 05-23-2012
I am adding a couple of things to my contract next yr. With one being if a sibling is sick, please keep other sibling home with you as well. They are more than likely carrying the same thing as other one has.
Can you believe a Mom picked up daycare girl the other day and left the 2 yr. old boy here??? He seen her and threw a fit. I said to her "aren't you going to take db home with you" She says I didn't plan on it!! What????
Are you kidding me??? He threw a major fit, and I told her"you need to take him with you as well" I can't believe parents!!! I guess this will be going in as well!!!!
Do any of you's have anything in about sibling sicknesses etc....???
littlemissmuffet 11:30 AM 05-23-2012
I believe it - parents do it ALL THE TIME. This topic has been discussed here before... a couple of providers have this policy in their contracts while most others don't because they think it wouldn't fly. This is the primary reason I stopped taking sibs... now, when current parents get pregnant and have both kids coming I tell them immediately that if one child is kept/sent home, the other must be too.
daycare 11:33 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I am adding a couple of things to my contract next yr. With one being if a sibling is sick, please keep other sibling home with you as well. They are more than likely carrying the same thing as other one has.
Can you believe a Mom picked up daycare girl the other day and left the 2 yr. old boy here??? He seen her and threw a fit. I said to her "aren't you going to take db home with you" She says I didn't plan on it!! What????
Are you kidding me??? He threw a major fit, and I told her"you need to take him with you as well" I can't believe parents!!! I guess this will be going in as well!!!!
Do any of you's have anything in about sibling sicknesses etc....???
its not always true that just becusae one child has it means that the other will get it too, however, I do understand your concern and frustration..

Blackcat offers a great incentive....if you take a sibling discount, then that means when one child is out, they are both out. I think that is very fair.

What you are saying could then mean if mom is sick then kids hve to stay home or if dad is sick kids have to stay home. You will just get parents who will learn to start lying to you so that their child can attend.
itlw8 11:39 AM 05-23-2012
I prefer the parents keep siblings apart so the healthy child does not get sick. BUT I do not wait until full blown symptoms. They keep them home at the slightest doubt.

When they keep them home #1 is better and they both come back to school. In the meantime #2 has been playing with the sick one because mom can not keep them apart and gets sick here the day after they come back.
momma2girls 01:07 PM 05-23-2012
I have added a few things on siblings in my new contract for the new year. One things is when you have one sibling that is sick, you must keep the other sibling home as well with you, more than likely they are carrying whatever the other one has.
This happened the other day- I have a family and their little 3 yr. old girl was sick and developed a fever within 2 hrs. of being here. I called the mom for pick up. They also have a boy here who is 1 1/2 yrs. old. I had them both ready to go, and the Mom comes in, and doesn't want to take the boy with her. SHe is getting ready to leave and I asked her, you are taking db as well, aren't you? She replies" I wasn't planning on it" WHat? Are you kidding me? The boy is throwing a fit, screaming, etc..... I said you need to take him with you!!! What is wrong with parents these days??????
This will be another thing added next yr. as well. Anyone have this in theirs???
momma2girls 07:21 PM 05-23-2012
Do any of you's have these in your contracts????
momma2girls 07:55 PM 05-23-2012
I had it happen twice here this yr. so far, where one sibling is kept at home, and the other one is here. I had to call both times. Once with a fever and once with diarrhea.
I do give a sibling discount every week!!
Rachel 03:44 AM 05-24-2012
I also couldn't imagine excluding siblings. My kids have almost never been sick at the same time (ds has been sick at least 8 times this year, dds not once!!). The only exception was when they all got chicken pox, and then at least one was out of commission for 6 weeks. I could not imagine keeping healthy kids in the house for a month just because they had a sick sister / brother. In addition, I just don't think it's fair to the well child who is cooped up in the house, or the sick child who needs more 1:1 and TLC.

I do agree that if parents pick up one they should pick up both, the exception being maybe taking an older toddler to an appointment and leaving a very young baby behind.
Rachel 03:45 AM 05-24-2012
I answered your other thread
momma2girls 07:28 AM 05-24-2012
Sorryk this is a duplicate thread, I didn't see it posted before. How do I delete this one???
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 05-24-2012
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I answered your other thread
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Sorryk this is a duplicate thread, I didn't see it posted before. How do I delete this one???
I merged the two threads so they should now appear as one.
momma2girls 07:51 AM 05-24-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I prefer the parents keep siblings apart so the healthy child does not get sick. BUT I do not wait until full blown symptoms. They keep them home at the slightest doubt.

When they keep them home #1 is better and they both come back to school. In the meantime #2 has been playing with the sick one because mom can not keep them apart and gets sick here the day after they come back.
I have had 2 occasions this yr. that they brought other sibling and I had to call the one that was sitting at home, with the other sick child, because other sibling that was brought to me, got sick, once with a fever and once with diarrhea. After he was around all the daycare kids for 2-3 hrs. all my daycare children, my children and myself received it all!!! GRR!!!
momma2girls 07:52 AM 05-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I merged the two threads so they should now appear as one.
Thanks Blackcat!! I didnt see the first one that I posted, sorry!!
Sprouts 05:21 AM 05-25-2012
I am going through this too now, I watch a 3 yo an her 6 yo sister came down with a fever on Wednesday so the grandma didn't bring her Thursday but come friday she says 3 yo has no symptoms at all so can she bring her in? I caved in and said yes, I don't have anything in my contract about siblings that are sick but I am still worried she might have a bug too since her sister is still sick
momma2girls 02:51 PM 05-25-2012
I really never had problems until this yr. When I had siblings in the past, when one was sick, they kept both children home. I went for a couple of yrs. without siblings and now, I am having the problems. Can you imagine picking up your sick son, and leaving an almost 2 yr. old daughter, and her screaming, because you are not taking her home. I had her ready to go as well. The Mom wasn't planning on taking the daughter with her. I finally had to say to her, you need to take sibling as well. WOW!!!!!!
Mom&Provider 06:01 AM 05-29-2012
I don't think it would go over well in most cases, tho I'm sure it makes sense to some and even to me in some cases.

For me it would depend on what it was going around in the home...a cold is one thing, chicken pox is another! I'd guess if you are upfront at the time of signing they have a choice and you've made it clear, but changing it for a family already in your care might be a bit harder!
AnneCordelia 08:25 AM 05-29-2012
I have a clause in my contract that families are only permitted one drop off and one doespick up a day. This means that if mom comes to get a sick child she must take both with her.

I will have a few sibling sets next year so I also am including a discount that comes with the obligation to keep siblings together...if one does not attend due to contagious illness then they both are out. Contagious is flu, cold, viruses, lice, impetigo, etc.
CheekyChick 11:03 AM 05-29-2012
I wouldn't force a parent to take both children. Siblings don't ALWAYS get the same bugs.
Tags:siblings, sickness
Reply Up