Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Again ;)
Unregistered 11:55 AM 12-03-2015
I wrote previously about my DCG who I believe is on the ASD spectrum. I confronted mom about the issue and she has taken her to a pediatrician who has now referred her to get a private assessment. Mom and I both filled out a ASD questionnaire and although I got a lot more red flags than mom did she at least got some as well. I also think the talk has woken her up to seeing the behaviors more clearly rather than dismissing them as "normal".

Mom is still in the "I'm not sure and I'm confused about what is normal and what is not". I have been observing and have known this kid has ASD since she started so for me I am feeling like I am 100% sure. A pediatrician referred her for a private assessment with a developmental ped. as well as a hearing test etc. which makes me feel even more sure. Having said that the private assessment will take several months to be done. Waiting lists are long here.

My question is what should I do from here? This child has been sleeping here a lot as well (5-6 hour naps and according to mom sleeps all night) but from what I have been reading about ASD a lot of them (80%) have sleep disorders. How would you handle this situation from here? Business as usual? I feel like trying to figure out what sensory issues she has and to see if her anxiety lessens with adjustment. I want her to feel comfortable here. However with mom not really being sure about ASD it makes it a touchy subject to bring up. I guess I'm ready to call a spade a spade and move forward.
KSDC 11:59 AM 12-03-2015
Personally, I would wait for the results of the private assessment to make any major changes. Then, be sure to ask mom for a meeting and a copy of the paperwork so that you can best help the child while she is with you.
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I wrote previously about my DCG who I believe is on the ASD spectrum. I confronted mom about the issue and she has taken her to a pediatrician who has now referred her to get a private assessment. Mom and I both filled out a ASD questionnaire and although I got a lot more red flags than mom did she at least got some as well. I also think the talk has woken her up to seeing the behaviors more clearly rather than dismissing them as "normal".

Mom is still in the "I'm not sure and I'm confused about what is normal and what is not". I have been observing and have known this kid has ASD since she started so for me I am feeling like I am 100% sure. A pediatrician referred her for a private assessment with a developmental ped. as well as a hearing test etc. which makes me feel even more sure. Having said that the private assessment will take several months to be done. Waiting lists are long here.

My question is what should I do from here? This child has been sleeping here a lot as well (5-6 hour naps and according to mom sleeps all night) but from what I have been reading about ASD a lot of them (80%) have sleep disorders. How would you handle this situation from here? Business as usual? I feel like trying to figure out what sensory issues she has and to see if her anxiety lessens with adjustment. I want her to feel comfortable here. However with mom not really being sure about ASD it makes it a touchy subject to bring up. I guess I'm ready to call a spade a spade and move forward.
While I sympathize with you in regards to wanting to help, I'd tread carefully as right now you are free to do what you need to do (terming if necessary) so that things continue to run smoothly for you/your business but once this child gets an actual diagnosis your options for what you will and wont do in daycare will be limited as a child with diagnosed special needs is protected by the ADA and you may find yourself having to make a whole lot of daily adjustments for ONE child whether or not it works for your whole group or not.

I am sure that will sound bad or negative for those dealing with special needs (I do as well) but I think it's important to point that out at this stage in the game. kwim?
Unregistered 12:28 PM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I sympathize with you in regards to wanting to help, I'd tread carefully as right now you are free to do what you need to do (terming if necessary) so that things continue to run smoothly for you/your business but once this child gets an actual diagnosis your options for what you will and wont do in daycare will be limited as a child with diagnosed special needs is protected by the ADA and you may find yourself having to make a whole lot of daily adjustments for ONE child whether or not it works for your whole group or not.

I am sure that will sound bad or negative for those dealing with special needs (I do as well) but I think it's important to point that out at this stage in the game. kwim?
I have definitely been thinking about this as well so I appreciate you bringing it up. It's a VERY important consideration I think. I have no idea how her behaviors will change and they have been getting progressively worse since she started a year ago. The sleeping being a big one. I have been advertising to replace her for the past 6 months (was just going to term rather than deal with it and telling a mom in denial) but no one is looking for care for a child over two, or any that are, aren't going to work for me.

I'm in a very frustrating position to say the least.
Tags:assessment
Reply Up