Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Help with Two Year Old Classroom!!
jjhmommy27 01:50 PM 02-09-2019
I have worked in childcare for over 2 years. I have been recently put in our center's 2-year-old classroom. There is no structure, they have no idea how to play. We are running into a lot of issues. I have created a schedule and have been trying to stick to it. Center time is our hardest time. they destroy the classroom run & fight. It's overwhelming. I need any advice I can get on a two-year-old classroom. We have 2 teachers and most days around 20 kids.
Blackcat31 04:29 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by jjhmommy27:
I have worked in childcare for over 2 years. I have been recently put in our center's 2-year-old classroom. There is no structure, they have no idea how to play. We are running into a lot of issues. I have created a schedule and have been trying to stick to it. Center time is our hardest time. they destroy the classroom run & fight. It's overwhelming. I need any advice I can get on a two-year-old classroom. We have 2 teachers and most days around 20 kids.
This is such a common issue in child care
Especially bigger centers.

Center play is so inappropriate for 2 yr olds
They have no idea how to play together let alone follow structured play ideas.
They need to run, dump, move and learn about themselves and how they fit into the world.

Are you a new employee?
What’s your education and/or experience in this field?

Setting up the environment and having goals that meet the ages of the kids in the room equates to harmony. (Developmentally Appropriate Practice)

Expectations that don’t align with age and/or development always results in chaos and craziness.
Lux 09:51 AM 02-10-2019
I agree with Black Cat - 2 year olds need to "run, dump, move". +1000

20 two year olds I'd do a 2 minute circle time max.
Make it interaxtive - thinke Ring around the Rosy - something that incorporate movement, or perhaps a big thing all of them can come touch. It needs to be incredibly short.

Two teachers with all those twos is tough!

I'd be outside a lot with so many twos . I would also have a slide inside and some other large toys like a climber on the wall, or steps for them. Tires on the floor. Big things they can use their whole body on . Without recognizing and respect their developmental needs it is too hard on children and teachers alike
Typing with one hand forgive typos please.
Ms.Kay 11:10 AM 02-10-2019
Big motor skills for 30 min...small motor for 10-15 min. Swimming pool inside with balls...then puzzles...jumping off milk crates...staking blocks..
This is why I promote in home care...younger ones watch and learn how to play from older kids...good luck!
Josiegirl 01:55 PM 02-10-2019
Tunnels to crawl through
Make games out of hopping, jumping, stomping, crawling
Play hide-a-bear, read Going on a Bear Hunt, look for a stuffed bear, make a bear cave using blankets
Jiminycrickets 09:50 AM 02-11-2019
I know it can be hard in a center where you have less control, but if you can limit the amount of toys you have out that can also help with the two-year old set. For instance, only have 20 duplos in a bin for them to dump, not 100. A few plates and pieces of play food instead of a huge bin full of them. 5 cars as opposed to fifteen.
If you can clearly mark toy bins and containers with photos of the contents it helps them understand better where things go and helps them learn faster how to put things away.
And if you can have more than one of the same or similar things that helps too. Like 3 super hero capes in the dress-up area might work better than a superhero cape, a cowboy hat, and a construction vest to avoid fights. Two big dump trucks instead of a dump truck and an excavator.
jjhmommy27 04:56 PM 02-12-2019
I have done alot of this. Thanks been a huge change ❤
flying_babyb 06:56 PM 02-12-2019
Pete the cat...
I was in the two year old room. Only time they would settle was for playdough (which they would throw) or pete the cat. We read ALOT of pete! I made it two weeks, then threatened to quit.
Tags:2 year olds
Reply Up