Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice on Being Harassed By NYS
Kidscorner 06:05 PM 04-24-2014
Hi...

My wife and I own an operate a single center. We also have our home licensed as group (and used to be family). We've done everything we've needed thus far rules wise. A disgruntled employee quit after 3 days and called new york state to complain and our state licensor wrote us up for many violations. All but 1 were administrative based. i.e. not having resumes at the center for employees (they were at the house). None of them had to do with the children's well being. The week before we passed a random inspection with no violations. Now since we've corrected these 'violations', we've been inspected 2 more times. All previous violations have been remedied. My problem is, they keep adding on things that are of literally no consequence or have been deemed verbally ok but when they show up, not. We got a written citation for having a purse on a counter in the preschool room while it was vacant. My wife is not the director (shes owner) and was told she wasn't qualified to hold a meeting on rules even though we were reading the states packet verbatim when 2 days prior that same licensor told us the aforementioned meeting counted as training verbally. I am at my wits end. On there website the citations are listed and generally categorized. So they appear to be significant violations and they actually are petty nonsense. We need some help because we can't get any resolve with this person. Any thoughts? I greatly appreciate it, sorry for the length. We have a signed petition from every single parent and my wife's ready to break down and cry. Please any advice would be great.
Play Care 03:02 AM 04-25-2014
My advice to you is to follow the rules to the T - even if you've been told verbally something was okay. I have lost track of how many times I've been told by one licensor something was fine, only to be told by the next it wasn't. I am finding that as time goes on there is a lot less of the "verbal okays" and more sticking to exactly what the regs say. I imagine your wife doesn't have the degree required to be Director? If the person you have hired to oversee the center isn't up to snuff, it's time to let them go.

That said, have you gone up the chain to your licesnor's supervisor? I would start there. Not sure what part of NY you are in, but are you a CSEA member? Perhaps they can give you some direction?
melskids 05:40 AM 04-25-2014
I agree with Play Care. Contact your union rep. That's what they are there for. I'm not sure where you are in NY, but our rep is wonderful and works very hard for providers. Good luck.
Tags:ny regs
Reply Up