Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Addition To A Deposit...
Autismworld 04:48 PM 02-19-2011
Does anyone charge an entry fee... one that is non refundable. I'm talking about a fee that would be applied toward the start up costs of that child... for like extra supplies, equipment (nap mat, blanket etc)?

If you do have this fee... what is your fee if you don't mind sharing.
PeanutsGalore 05:05 PM 02-19-2011
Originally Posted by Autismworld:
Does anyone charge an entry fee... one that is non refundable. I'm talking about a fee that would be applied toward the start up costs of that child... for like extra supplies, equipment (nap mat, blanket etc)?

I don't, but now that i've got a whole 2 months experience under my belt (whoopie!), I've been thinking about how to better cover costs for the next child I take in. I'm either going to charge an entry fee, or outline what the parents need to supply and where they need to get it. Hopefully, someone has some good input as to what works best for them. My dcg's parents are awesome though, so I haven't too much out of cost expense anyway.
care-care 05:25 PM 02-19-2011
You could have them provide the blanket from home. I know that as a mom I had/have way to many blankets laying around my house.And a nap mat if you want. But that also would be part of your startup cost that you write off for taxes.If you buy them. I have a dcm that provides me with swaddlers,bibs,burp rags if I want to use them some days I use hers sometimes I use mine. I dont provide wipes or diapers or formula. Oh I could do wipes but she brings them.
LindaMJ 08:10 PM 02-19-2011
I have charged a $10.00 registration fee (because of ALL of the paperwork) when ALL of the Required paperwork is turned in, before care can begin. When searching the internet for policies/contracts, I saw that this was not uncommon, and none of my parents ever complained to me about. In my state, there is just so much paperwork; it is time consuming to make sure everything is filled out, signed, dated, and up-to-date. Yikes!
Abigail 09:04 PM 02-19-2011
I have heard of $20 annual fees which cover the costs of keeping track of records, printing out your policies, contract, menus, etc for the child each year instead of just at the time of enrollment. This could also give you the extra money to hold conferences every 3-6 months with the parents for half hour or something to go over updates.
Rachel 10:15 PM 02-19-2011
Here some places take a "supply" fee at the beginning of the school year.

When you are full, you shouldn't have extra start up costs for each child in teh same way (ie: you already own the nap mat, the blanket, etc).
kendallina 05:28 AM 02-20-2011
I charge a $20 fee every 6 months. I call it a materials fee and tell them that it helps replenish supplies. No one batted an eye when they enrolled about it and they've all paid it no problem.

I actually can't wait because it's due next week and I'm going to buy some outside materials for my summer camp program! Whoo-hoo!
Former Teacher 05:48 AM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by Autismworld:

At my former center, we charged a nonrefundable registration fee of $50.00. Plus we also charged a yearly fee (on the anniversary) of $50.00. PLUS during the summer we overcharged the parents to: a. make a profit and b. to help cover the cost of art supplies for the year. For example: to take a field trip to the swimming pool would normally cost $1.50, however we charged $3.00. This not only covered the art supplies etc...but also the gas and wear and tear on the dc van.
Out of all the years I was there we only had 1 parent complain. She wanted to use her son's city pool pass so she didn't have to pay for the field trip. I had to tell no because of all the other things that money covered. She wasn't happy about it but she did pay.

Originally Posted by LindaMJ:
I have charged a $10.00 registration fee (because of ALL of the paperwork) when ALL of the Required paperwork is turned in, before care can begin. When searching the internet for policies/contracts, I saw that this was not uncommon, and none of my parents ever complained to me about. In my state, there is just so much paperwork; it is time consuming to make sure everything is filled out, signed, dated, and up-to-date. Yikes!
I remember seeing on provider doing this as well. She charged the $10.00 which was refunded once the paperwork was turned in filled out or was brought back in perfect condition
JenNJ 07:28 AM 02-20-2011
I charge a $40 registration fee and a yearly $40 per child fee in September for replacing the big items that the kids use everyday and get ruined from harsh use. This fee covers blankets, sheets, mud mats for entryways, new cups/bowls/utensils, place mats, and small repairs on boosters/highchairs if needed. I also use this fee to cover batteries and lightbulbs, etc. This way when I need to replace something, I have the funds set aside.
Tags:deposit, refund
Reply Up