Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boo
MissAnn 09:45 AM 12-20-2013
Boo to parents who were off today and brought their kids anyway. Boo to parents who kept their older kids home with them and sent the little ones to childcare. Those same children are asking why they didn't get to go home early like all the others. Those same children are here, no matter what. Those same children cry whenever other kids get to go home early. They KNOW their parents just don't want to deal with them more than they have to.
melilley 09:51 AM 12-20-2013
Yep, I have one here. Schools all around are closed so my one dcm who works at a preschool so isn't working and who always brings her child here when she has a day off, brought dcb here today. The sad thing is, is that dcm said that she, her other son who is 3, and grandma and grandpa are going to be at grandmas house making cookies... BUT she might come early...ummhmmm.

It's funny how I have made several treats and projects...with 5 kids, wonder how I do that...lol

Yes, boo to those parents
Shell 09:51 AM 12-20-2013
We had a storm last week, and it was a bad one. The worst snow was supposed to come after lunch time into the commute. All of the parents were scrambling to leave work early, to avoid the dangerous roads. One of my dc kids arrived AT lunch time, and I really thought it was an emergency at work or something. Dcb is the last one to leave, by about 4 hours. At pick up, I say to dcm that all the other kids were picked up hours ago, they must have had some serious stuff to do at work, etc. Nope, dcm says she was home all day Oh, and dcb was a mess all day from being home in the a.m. - he thought he was having a mommy day
MissAnn 10:05 AM 12-20-2013
Always the most misbehaving kids too. The attention seekers. Wonder why they are like that????????????????? I have 3 here. One is not working at all. One was off 1/2 day. The other is one whose big brothers are at home. They notice parents, don't be fooled. They wonder why.
daycarediva 10:14 AM 12-20-2013
I have a few kids who have one parent at home all the time and still come here. It baffles me but they aren't my children.

I had a 4yo dck say to me yesterday "My Mommy is home making cookies today but I'm glad I camed here and made cookies with you. You let me help." I had to give her a little hug. They get it. Sad, but they get it.
butterfly 10:48 AM 12-20-2013
I'm really having a pity party for myself today because of this very topic. I have 1/2 of my families not working today and everyone else got done at noon. How many came to pick up their kids or kept them home today? NONE. I have every single kid today - which I really don't mind, but I was hoping/assuming/expecting to be done early today. It's not happening and I'm bitter. Next year, I'm not going to assume, I'm just going to close early if I want to be done early.
Great Beginnings 11:57 AM 12-20-2013
I have one of those families too. Kids are 4 and 1 and they are here from 7am/8am until 6pm Mom is off at least one day during the week and they are still the last picked up. The 4 year old is very smart and always comments mom is picking stuff up at stores so I come here to play. I get angry and sad for them but then it reminds me why my job and the way we treat them are so important. Some kids really only learn love from daycare.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I'm really having a pity party for myself today because of this very topic. I have 1/2 of my families not working today and everyone else got done at noon. How many came to pick up their kids or kept them home today? NONE. I have every single kid today - which I really don't mind, but I was hoping/assuming/expecting to be done early today. It's not happening and I'm bitter. Next year, I'm not going to assume, I'm just going to close early if I want to be done early.
BEST gift you can give yourself.

I read daily on forums about providers being let down or being resentful and/or bitter, angry and upset that parents don't pick up early, keep their child home or do whatever but the truth is, the ONLY reason any of us/them are upset is because it was expected that the parent behave or act in a certain manner and that didn't happen, thus disappointment, resentment etc...

The easier cure for that is do what YOU need to do. Close when YOU need the time off. NEVER, ever ever allow someone else to be the catalyst in you closing early or having the day off because as you have sadly figured out....that doesn't happen often...so don't let the daycare parents figure into the time off equation.

If you need time off or want time off....take it.
MissAnn 01:18 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I read daily on forums about providers being let down or being resentful and/or bitter, angry and upset that parents don't pick up early, keep their child home or do whatever but the truth is, the ONLY reason any of us/them are upset is because it was expected that the parent behave or act in a certain manner and that didn't happen, thus disappointment, resentment etc...

The easier cure for that is do what YOU need to do. Close when YOU need the time off. NEVER, ever ever allow someone else to be the catalyst in you closing early or having the day off because as you have sadly figured out....that doesn't happen often...so don't let the daycare parents figure into the time off equation.

Luckily I am off all next week. Just need to get through today. 1 kid left and his mom is at home and on her vacation.
Lucy 02:44 PM 12-20-2013
Boo is right. One mom sent me a text picture showing that she had FINALLY found that present for her kids that she's been looking for. She just told me this morning that she still hadn't found it, so that means she found it today. Ok, no big deal, right? .... maybe she went shopping on her lunch hour. Nope. The picture was taken IN their house. She works 40 minutes away, so I know she didn't take it home and then go back to work! She's home!!! Boo!!!!
MarinaVanessa 03:21 PM 12-20-2013
Next year issues like this can be avoided by adding a policy that says that child care is only provided when parents are at work/school and if one sibling stays home all siblings stay home.

Personally this doesn't bother me since I'm being paid for the day already. If it ever does I'd probably just offer them a credit for the day to keep their kiddos home. I bet if I didn't charge them then they'd be less likely to drop them off if they aren't working .
TheGoodLife 03:45 PM 12-20-2013
I have a family (military dad) that brings 10 month DCB EVERY day- even though DCD is home 1-2 days a week. Found out recently that DCM brings him at 7 (which is earlier than I open, as I told her in the interview) some days when DCD is home b/c he wants to start getting things done early. I had a conversation about how I want to go back to only paying when they need me because I think children need as much family time as possible, and she told me "well, if we are paying for it..." when it comes to bringing him on DCD's day off. They started out doing a rotating schedule where they'd pay when they need me but decided to go to FT when I was going to term and take on another FTer. Now he is here no matter what (unless he's sick- they have been really good at keeping him home when sick!).

Then DCM tried to tell me DCD complained of being bored and wished DCB was home with him (yeah, pretty sure he could pick up early any time he wanted ) and that she never brought DCB when DCD wasn't working (yeah, you told me that exact thing the week before!)

Funny thing is, this conversation started with her telling me she'd need longer hours 2+ days a week and that's when I told her I'd like to lower her rate and have them bring DCB only when DCD was working. My DH and I could both tell she was trying to scare me into working more for free by bringing up the idea of terming, and when I didn't back down and said I'd hate to lose DCB but I understand needing somewhere more flexible- she stopped talking!

She had also sent me a message asking about the holidays and telling me work is making her come in for a 1/2 day on Christmas Eve and all day NYE. Well, it's in my contract and there's no WAY I'm taking him!!

Wow, sorry that turned into a vent But it's nice to get it out!
wabbittrouble 07:14 PM 12-21-2013
It really chaps my hiney when they do this. I have one mom who is keeping her kids home for two weeks (she's a teacher) but the rest come no matter what. They do things with one child and leave the other here or they take the day off and drop junior off. It makes me mad because they feel like they are paying for the time so they want to get their money's worth no matter what. What happened to being a parent and wanting to spend time with your children. After 20 years I am still upset when I see it. It never gets better because they are shortchanging their own children for their selfish motives.
Cradle2crayons 07:34 PM 12-21-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Next year issues like this can be avoided by adding a policy that says that child care is only provided when parents are at work/school and if one sibling stays home all siblings stay home.

Personally this doesn't bother me since I'm being paid for the day already. If it ever does I'd probably just offer them a credit for the day to keep their kiddos home. I bet if I didn't charge them then they'd be less likely to drop them off if they aren't working .
That's exactly why I do contracted care only. If they aren't at work, the kids don't come. Every Sunday I get their schedule for the next week. I don't provide care for errands or days off. Zero resentment here.
Former Teacher 09:13 PM 12-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
That's exactly why I do contracted care only. If they aren't at work, the kids don't come. Every Sunday I get their schedule for the next week. I don't provide care for errands or days off. Zero resentment here.
First I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

How can you prove that a parent comes straight after work?

I can't even begin to tell you the number of parents over the years at my former center that would leave work, do their shopping etc while still in their work clothes.

You say (as well as other providers here) that you get a schedule in advance. What's to say they tell you 5 pm yet they finish and are off of work at 12? Do you go by the honor system?

I guess it just amazes me how providers only provide care during work/school hours. I think I can count on 2 hands the number of parents that I have dealt with 20+ years that came immediately after work for their children.
Soccermom 04:07 AM 12-22-2013
I have 2 DCKS who come 3 days a week no matter what. They are often the last ones picked up and both DCD and DCM are home EVERYDAY. DCD lost his job 4 months ago and DCM is on Mat leave for a year.

They have a 2 month old baby. They should be spending time bonding as a family. I have even told both DCM and DCD that they do not need to bring DCKS to save their spot. I have guaranteed them a spot for all 3 in November when DCM goes back to work.

I think it is sad. I have 3 kids and would never have dreamed of sending 2 off to a babysitter in order to spend quality time with the baby. We are a family. I loved the quiet, special moments with my girls when the baby was sleeping.

But who am I to judge? To each their own I guess. They always pay me on time and the kids really enjoy coming here. I am very honest with them lately. If I need them to pick up early or whatever, I just tell them and they say No problem.
mjaddi 07:42 AM 12-22-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Boo to parents who were off today and brought their kids anyway. Boo to parents who kept their older kids home with them and sent the little ones to childcare. Those same children are asking why they didn't get to go home early like all the others. Those same children are here, no matter what. Those same children cry whenever other kids get to go home early. They KNOW their parents just don't want to deal with them more than they have to.
I get it, parents should want to spend more time with their children, but if they don't bring them to day care then you don't get paid correct? And if you get paid either way, then why shouldn't they bring them in? Maybe I'm missing the point, sorry but I don't understand the issue maybe someone can put me in place.
MissAnn 02:03 PM 12-22-2013
Originally Posted by mjaddi:
I get it, parents should want to spend more time with their children, but if they don't bring them to day care then you don't get paid correct? And if you get paid either way, then why shouldn't they bring them in? Maybe I'm missing the point, sorry but I don't understand the issue maybe someone can put me in place.
I had one kid for several hours. This mom was off work and came right at closing boasting about her long nap. Her son cried for her and wondered why all the other moms picked up their kids early.

I do get paid regardless if child attends or not

Yes...boo on this mother.
MarinaVanessa 03:08 PM 12-22-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

I guess it just amazes me how providers only provide care during work/school hours. I think I can count on 2 hands the number of parents that I have dealt with 20+ years that came immediately after work for their children.
If the parents are "paying for it" it's really difficult to get them to not have their children DC when they aren't working or if they get out early. I know I'd want my money's worth.

Personally I don't care if a parent is working or at home in their jammies eating ding dongs. If I'm getting paid, I'm going to work. I think providers that have an issue with parents taking their children to DC on their time off can charge only for the time that the kids are in care to encourage parents not to have their kids in care on their off time but many in my area want to get paid their flat weekly rate and that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it's right to have it both ways kwim?
Cradle2crayons 04:53 PM 12-22-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
First I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

How can you prove that a parent comes straight after work?

I can't even begin to tell you the number of parents over the years at my former center that would leave work, do their shopping etc while still in their work clothes.

You say (as well as other providers here) that you get a schedule in advance. What's to say they tell you 5 pm yet they finish and are off of work at 12? Do you go by the honor system?

Because I have their work schedules. And one parent has to provide me a clock in and out computer receipt every night at pick up. All because I caught her a few times not coming straight here.

Also, my parents work afternoon shift. As waitresses. And they don't go to work at 4:00 or 5:00 pm and get off at 7:00 lol. They work until close.

I provide a service and a rate they can't get anywhere else. I'm not willing to watch their kids while they aren't at work for the rate and schedule I have to go by.
My3cents 11:44 AM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Memc2001 12:00 PM 12-23-2013
YES! AND BOO ----to parents not calling and not showing up today. I am working for one kid today! What a waste!

Also, I just want to say I am NOT buying gifts for my clients anymore. None of them seemed appreciative and I didn't receive a single token of thanks from anyone. 10 clients, wow.

I didn't want to post this because it's Christmas but it's extremely frustrating! I just had to vent.
Reply Up