Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Changing Policy With No Advance Notice
Unregistered 05:44 AM 02-22-2011
When I dropped off my child at daycare today the staff were posting notices on the doors. Usually they do this to post a holiday schedule which confused me because there are no holidays in the next two weeks. Instead there was a notice stating that as of today they are now enforcing a strict 10am cutoff for dropping of a child to keep children on schedule. My son's days are very scheduled at home as well as at daycare but because of recent hearing problems has had at least 1 doctors appointment a week.

I schedule these as early in the morning as possible so that he can go to daycare and I can return to work. Going in late isn't a problem but leaving early for me is. He is always fed ect if we miss daycare bfast and has never arrived after lunch time. The sign went on to say and I quote "if this doesn't suit you withdraw" This was not a policy or in a contract when we started going there over a year ago. If I am paying for his spot and the same number of teachers are there no matter what

I feel that by not allowing me to drop off the child it is almost a form of theft as I am paying for a service that they are not rendering as well as forcing me to take an entire day off from work. I can't afford to take an entire day off weekly I would never have enough sick time. They also require 2 weeks notice or 2 weeks payment to withdraw and from past experiences on how strict they are with money and now refernce to a waiver on the sign I know they would enforce it even though they are the ones making the change.
DCMomOf3 07:00 AM 02-22-2011
It is my experience that a change of policy should come with new contracts with a time period to review and either accept the changes or not. Making a new policy and enforcing it the same instant as informing the parents is unprofessional.

I would be scheduling a meeting with the director ASAP. I think it would be very bad business to exclude for doctor appointments. Maybe they will make exceptions for your case, and other instances of appts.
Angelwings36 07:08 AM 02-22-2011
Whenever I add a new policy in to my contract or change/upgrade an existing policy I give families a one month written notice that these changes will be taking place. A month later I hand out new contracts to be re-read and signed (highlighting any areas that have been changed). I do not think it is fair that a provider change their policies on the spot with no notice whatsoever.
Little People 07:08 AM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I dropped off my child at daycare today the staff were posting notices on the doors. Usually they do this to post a holiday schedule which confused me because there are no holidays in the next two weeks. Instead there was a notice stating that as of today they are now enforcing a strict 10am cutoff for dropping of a child to keep children on schedule. My son's days are very scheduled at home as well as at daycare but because of recent hearing problems has had at least 1 doctors appointment a week.

I schedule these as early in the morning as possible so that he can go to daycare and I can return to work. Going in late isn't a problem but leaving early for me is. He is always fed ect if we miss daycare bfast and has never arrived after lunch time. The sign went on to say and I quote "if this doesn't suit you withdraw" This was not a policy or in a contract when we started going there over a year ago. If I am paying for his spot and the same number of teachers are there no matter what

I feel that by not allowing me to drop off the child it is almost a form of theft as I am paying for a service that they are not rendering as well as forcing me to take an entire day off from work. I can't afford to take an entire day off weekly I would never have enough sick time. They also require 2 weeks notice or 2 weeks payment to withdraw and from past experiences on how strict they are with money and now refernce to a waiver on the sign I know they would enforce it even though they are the ones making the change.
Are you saying that if your child id not dropped off by 10am then they will not accept your child?

What happens if your work schedule was to drop off at 11am, then they would not accept your child?

What happens is your car would not start and your normal time was to drop off at 9:30 and you got there at 10:15, they would not accept your child?

This does not sound right, I would ask for this new rule in writing. I would speak to the director. Is this a large daycare or a home daycare?
nannyde 08:03 AM 02-22-2011
No exceptions for specialty doc appointments???????

That's weird
Habshockeygrl 08:04 AM 02-22-2011
It is a large daycare spanning from infant to after school and the notice was very clear that they would not allow children to be dropped off after 10 a.m. They used the statement strict enforcement in bold several times.
There was free range drop off prior to this and they are open until 6 p.m. On normal days he is dropped off by 7:15, but most of his Dr's don't open until 9.

We had an issue once before when he came home in his extra outfit and when I went to wash his clothes realized they had bleach all over the back of them. We asked at drop off and pick up to speak to the director and after 2 weeks one of the aides tried to give me $20 and said she was told to pay us personally because it was her fault. The director never returned our calls or met with us then so I don't have much hope that we will be allowed "audience" with her now.

A year ago she was around all the time, now we never see her.
Cat Herder 08:42 AM 02-22-2011
I have a no drop off after 10AM policy, always have.

I do make exception for doctors appointments with prior notice and return to care notes.

I would, however, have great difficulty with disruptions on multiple days each week...especially over a longer period of time.

With my having a very small group of kids with their own medical needs, without assistance, I would expect you to meet me in the middle of the road when it comes to being inconvenienced. YKWIM?

I am not sure the issue would be as difficult to manage in a larger center with several employees, though.

I do not understand not being able to meet with the director, at all, that is a huge part of the job title. I also would have a HUGE problem with them changing their policies over night....
jen 08:53 AM 02-22-2011
I would just leave and find a more appropriate care setting. I may not change a policy for a parent, but they are always able to discuss it with me. I'm guessing there is more going on here, but it doesn't really matter. They get to do what they want, and you get to chose whether to stay or go. JMHO.
Little People 08:55 AM 02-22-2011
I would start looking for a new daycare and may I suggest, Maybe looking into a family daycare
Habshockeygrl 09:13 AM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I would start looking for a new daycare and may I suggest, Maybe looking into a family daycare
Sadly, the reason we went to a facility was because we had a horrible experience with home daycare when he was 3 months old, another older child in a home providers care (never got full story) injured him, when we picked him up he had a black eye and many bruises and scratches on his face. We left her immediately and reported the incident and had photos taken within hours of picking him up. She is no longer a home provider for the program that referred us. We have been hesitant ever since to allow him to multiple aged home provider.

I'm sure there are much more observant and loving home providers but still nervous
jen 09:52 AM 02-22-2011
I understand being nervous, I think we all are when we leave our children with another person. That said, I would give home daycare another shot. Do your due dillagence...contact current and former parents, check with licesning and see if they have any violations, and do a couple drop in-visits once you child has started care...but be sure to take your child with you! Nothing is more upsetting when Mom or Dad show up and then leave without them.

Or, contact licensing and ask for infant only daycares in your area.
kendallina 10:48 AM 02-22-2011
This would upset me as well. From all of your posts, this place seems to be very unprofessional (having a staff member pay for your child's clothes out of pocket, director not calling you back, changing policies with no notice). Given these examples of their behavior I would seriously question their judgment and their professionalism and wouldn't trust them with my kiddo.

Maybe that seems harsh, but it's not so much that they changed the policy. They did it without notice and then they then stated, "If this doesn't suit you, withdraw". Very rude and unprofessional and I wouldn't trust them at all.

Sorry you're experiencing this. I also understand your concern about going to a home daycare, as it can be hard to trust someone that you don't know and that works without other adults around. Do you have anyone that could recommend childcare (either a center or home daycare)?
Jewels 11:34 AM 02-22-2011
I think that policy is so rediculous, not allowing children after 10am............how dumb is that, I would look for new childcare, as long as children are fed if its out of meal times I don't see why its a big deal when they come......there are some stupid policies out there and thats one of them!
grandmom 12:31 PM 02-22-2011
Schedule your apt at 10:30.

Take him to daycare, by 10, leave, come back 3 minutes later, take him to your doctor apt.

Seriously, I'd go straight to the owner/manager in person and ask about this.
Kaddidle Care 12:41 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The sign went on to say and I quote "if this doesn't suit you withdraw"
There's your sign.
I'd be looking elsewhere pronto. Very, very unprofessional of them to do that. (Get a copy of that notice so that when you withdraw WITHOUT NOTICE you have recourse.)

Everything for a reason - there's a better place for your child out there.
nannyde 12:46 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Habshockeygrl:
It is a large daycare spanning from infant to after school and the notice was very clear that they would not allow children to be dropped off after 10 a.m. They used the statement strict enforcement in bold several times.
There was free range drop off prior to this and they are open until 6 p.m. On normal days he is dropped off by 7:15, but most of his Dr's don't open until 9.

We had an issue once before when he came home in his extra outfit and when I went to wash his clothes realized they had bleach all over the back of them. We asked at drop off and pick up to speak to the director and after 2 weeks one of the aides tried to give me $20 and said she was told to pay us personally because it was her fault. The director never returned our calls or met with us then so I don't have much hope that we will be allowed "audience" with her now.

A year ago she was around all the time, now we never see her.

Wow what area do you live in that the Centers can be SO bold? They must have people knocking their doors down to get in.

Time to switch day care.

Sorry to hear about your home care experience. This is why I don't allow the older kids NEAR my babies.
Unregistered 02:19 PM 02-22-2011
Whenever I change any policies I give a one months notice, I put it in writting and have them sign that they acknowledge the change. That sounds very unprofessional. Schedule a meeting with the director. Im sure you wont be the only parent with concerns. Any change should be added to the contract not a sign on a door. Let us know what happens.
Unregistered 04:34 PM 02-24-2011
I work in a center and find it VERY DISRUPTIVE when a parent drops off late morning. As we have schedualed activities. However, if I knew ahead of time that this was a due to medical apts NOT A BOTHER as I understand that.

Did you feel that this was a personal attack at you? Maybe they are not targeting you but that there are multiple families that do this.

Yes I agree that this should be put into a new policy book and not done with a tacky sign.
melskids 03:19 AM 02-25-2011
i can understand the policy, to a point. i'm sure it is pretty disruptive for numerous families to drop off during lunch or nap time. its been my experience that children dropped off right before nap have slept in until late morning, and won't nap with the rest of the children, as they are not tired. for me, its not such a big deal, but in a center, when teachers are going to lunch/break during nap, and trying to maintain ratio, i can see their frustration.

however, how they handled it is extremely unprofessional and not acceptable.

i would look for new care.
Unregistered 10:35 AM 02-28-2011
Seems to me that what they're doing isn't proper. I would attempt to discuss this with the director to see if they can exempt your child due to medical appts, but be sure to get this in writing and share this info with your child's teachers. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I would call your state's licensing and file a complaint. There may be a lot of parents violating their scheduled drop off time policy without calling in and providers have to call the emergency list if your child doesn't show up within so much time after the scheduled drop off time. Unfortunately, you may be falling victim to other family's shortcomings. You may have to call licensing or your state's ADA office. Your child is medically disabled and legally, they have to accomodate him, but you have to request the accomodation in writing. I would also try to find another center since it doesn't sound like they even attempt to communicate professionally with families to begin with.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 03-06-2011
I am a small in home child care provider and do not allow drop off after 9am so as not to disrupt our schedule. It also avoids the issue of a child sleeping in very late and not being ready for quiet time when the other children in care need their rest. I have a very small group of children and this is what works best for all of us. That said, my policy is clearly stated in my handbook which must be read and signed at time of enrollment so it this (or any other policy) would not work then the family would continue their search for care. I do think any change in policy should have advance notice so parents could have ample time to either decide they could live with the change, or if not give them time to give notice and find other care.
youretooloud 03:52 PM 03-06-2011
I'm wondering how strict they really want to be?

I have a mom who brings her child sick all the time. It's as if the girl wakes up and says "I don't feel good", and Mom says "Well, hurry up and get in the car so we can spread this illness to all your friends ASAP!!".

So, I sent a letter to everyone about how inconvenient this winter has been due to so many illnesses... But, even though all the parents got this letter, it was really only for this one particular Mom.

Can you ask about this? Explain your side? I wouldn't leave a daycare setting over this one issue. But, I'd want to know how flexible they are willing to be. Your reasons for being late are valid. It's not like you want to dance in during nap time with a hyper preschooler....you actually have someplace important to be.
QualiTcare 09:17 PM 03-06-2011
that's a ridiculous rule. the daycare center my children went to also made this policy after i started working there and knew enough inside information to know the REAL reason. they SAID the reason was because the kids missed so much of the "learning time" blah blah blah, but it was REALLY because kids who came in late usually wouldn't take a nap because generally coming in late meant waking up late.

i understood the frustration with that, but i also know that before i worked at the daycare, i worked as a waitress and sometimes didn't have to be at work until 11. i would call and let them know she'd be in late (10 - 10:30) so they'd be able to plan for lunch and staffing. she still woke up early so in our case it didn't affect her napping.

MOST often that wasn't the case though - it was parents who were off work or who didn't work at all bringing their kids in at lunch time (or even after lunch even though they had just woke up and hadn't eaten breakfast). still - it wasn't fair to make a blanket policy because you know what? if the staff knew i didn't have to be at work til 11 and i dropped off at 6, 7, or 8 then they would've talked about me behind my back about how i didn't have to be a work until late but didn't "cherish my time with my child."

damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Tags:drop-off, policy change
Reply Up