Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What should he know at this point?
Sugaree 07:40 AM 07-22-2015
I know that at more than a few of you have some experience in early childhood education, even if it's not formal, and I'm a first time mom so I thought this would be a good place to ask. Is my kiddo on track with what he "should" know at this point?

He is just over 25 months old. He can currently recite the alphabet, but doesn't necessarily understand that the letters he's reciting correlate to a specific symbol. He can recite numbers consistently up to about 12 and up to 20 with a few mistakes. He can count objects up to 5 or 6, but often gets excited and keeps on going after he's run out of things to count. He mostly knows his colors (mixes up orange and yellow sometimes) and shapes (mixes up square and rectangle, but knows the difference between circle and oval). He also knows a lot of animals and the sounds they make.

What are we missing? (Yes, I know I'm probably being paranoid.)
nanglgrl 07:45 AM 07-22-2015
Does he know his body parts?
What about self help skills? Can he put his shoes on and take them off? Can he follow directions, pick up toys, eat with utensils, can he dress himself (even if the clothing ends up backwards), can he attempt to draw a circle, are his large motor skills developed, can he cough into his elbow, wash his hands, attempt to brush his own teeth etc.?
Sugaree 07:49 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Does he know his body parts?
What about self help skills? Can he put his shoes on and take them off? Can he follow directions, pick up toys, eat with utensils, can he dress himself (even if the clothing ends up backwards), can he attempt to draw a circle, are his large motor skills developed, can he cough into his elbow, wash his hands, attempt to brush his own teeth etc.?
He's good on body parts. He can take his shoes off and will occasionally put them on (hates wearing them). He's good with a fork, and can use a spoon, albeit messily. He can wash his hands and brush his teeth (again, it's a messy process). The coughing in the elbow thing and the dressing thing we need to work on.
Unregistered 08:11 AM 07-22-2015
Anytime I see questions like these, it always makes me think of this article: https://magicalchildhood.wordpress.c...year-old-know/

Please don't take this the wrong way, but he is just barely two, he's doing great
Sugaree 08:33 AM 07-22-2015
Thanks for the article!
daycare 08:57 AM 07-22-2015
at this age, I would not be so concerned about his academics.

I would be focused on his self help life skills and learning to control his emotions.

You can have the smartest child in the world, but if they can't come with their emotions, moving forward, it will become extremely difficult to teach this child anything.
AmyKidsCo 09:23 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
at this age, I would not be so concerned about his academics.

I would be focused on his self help life skills and learning to control his emotions.

You can have the smartest child in the world, but if they can't come with their emotions, moving forward, it will become extremely difficult to teach this child anything.
ITA. At this age it's more important for him to develop social and emotional skills than academics. Academically he's doing great so don't worry about that! Instead, give him opportunities to practice problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
Reply Up