Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>USDA Proposes Changes to Food Program
AmyKidsCo 11:09 AM 01-29-2015
"USDA has released the proposed rule for the Child and Adult Care Food Program, setting healthier meal patterns and nutrition standards rule for Head Start, child care, family child care and other out-of-school programs. Family child care providers and advocates will want to learn about these proposed rules."
http://fns.dpi.wi.gov/fns_prop_meal_patt_cacfp?

They're accepting comments from the public until April 15, so take a moment to read and comment on the proposed changes. If you know any health care professionals, nutritionists, dieticians, etc, encourage them to comment too!

The things I personally have a problem with are:
- Infants can't start solid foods until 6 months. (Some children are ready before that.)
- Restricts cheese for infants 6-12 months. (Because they can chew other forms of protein better??)
- Requires whole milk from 12-24 months. (My registered dietician sister in law who specializes in childhood obesity and diabetes says they get enough fat in their diets and you can't tell which children are at risk for obesity that young.)
- Allows non-dairy milk substitute with parent signature, not a doctor's signature. (Imagine if 1 child is on soy, another on almond, 12 mo old on whole and everyone else on 1% - my refrigerator isn't that big!)
- Separates fruits/veggies into separate components. (You can't serve 2 veggies anymore, just 1 of each. Seems less healthy to me...)
Annalee 11:14 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
"USDA has released the proposed rule for the Child and Adult Care Food Program, setting healthier meal patterns and nutrition standards rule for Head Start, child care, family child care and other out-of-school programs. Family child care providers and advocates will want to learn about these proposed rules."

They're accepting comments from the public until April 15, so take a moment to read and comment on the proposed changes. If you know any health care professionals, nutritionists, dieticians, etc, encourage them to comment too!

- Infants can't start solid foods until 6 months. (Some children are ready before that.)
- Restricts cheese for infants 6-12 months. (Because they can chew other forms of protein better??)
- Requires whole milk from 12-24 months. (My registered dietician sister in law who specializes in childhood obesity and diabetes says they get enough fat in their diets and you can't tell which children are at risk for obesity that young.)
- Allows non-dairy milk substitute with parent signature, not a doctor's signature. (Imagine if 1 child is on soy, another on almond, 12 mo old on whole and everyone else on 1% - my refrigerator isn't that big!)
- Separates fruits/veggies into separate components. (You can't serve 2 veggies anymore, just 1 of each. Seems less healthy to me...)
I got this, too, and am anxious to see how it plays out.
Controlled Chaos 11:38 AM 01-29-2015
I get maybe making it only giving infants under 6 months real food with a Drs note - but not at all???

And no cheese?

hmmm
Leigh 12:29 PM 01-29-2015

I would be sure to comment on this on the designated website. I have an issue with the "no frying"-it's too broad to me. I don't deep fry anything, ever, but it sounds like we couldn't even make a grilled cheese or pan fry veggies for fajitas. I support the whole milk, thing, though. I have seen many reports that people who drink whole milk weigh LESS than those who drink skim, and it doesn't seem right to me to put a toddler on a "diet" of any form. I have 2 kids here on soy milk, 1 on rice milk, 1 on whole milk, and 1 on 1%...it is NOT fun to store all that milk! I have a 2nd refrigerator here that is full of only milk!

I agree about the fruit/veggie thing-I usually serve one of each, but often do 2 veggies, too (like fajitas with a side of carrots). I see very little on the changes that truly affect me, but many of the changes seem unnecessary to me, too.
Sugaree 11:25 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would be sure to comment on this on the designated website. I have an issue with the "no frying"-it's too broad to me. I don't deep fry anything, ever, but it sounds like we couldn't even make a grilled cheese or pan fry veggies for fajitas. I support the whole milk, thing, though. I have seen many reports that people who drink whole milk weigh LESS than those who drink skim, and it doesn't seem right to me to put a toddler on a "diet" of any form. I have 2 kids here on soy milk, 1 on rice milk, 1 on whole milk, and 1 on 1%...it is NOT fun to store all that milk! I have a 2nd refrigerator here that is full of only milk!

I agree about the fruit/veggie thing-I usually serve one of each, but often do 2 veggies, too (like fajitas with a side of carrots). I see very little on the changes that truly affect me, but many of the changes seem unnecessary to me, too.
I'll admit that I don't know how specific the program is, but seems to me that grilled cheese is well...grilled. And I've never thought of fajitas as pan fried, but "sauteed." To me, fried requires at least enough oil to form a pool.
melilley 11:49 AM 01-30-2015
Isn't the requirement for whole milk already 12-24 months?

I agree, the frying part is too vague. What do they consider frying? Sometimes I make homemade hashbrowns and have to use olive or veggie oil. Maybe they mean deep frying?

I like the new age groups for infants. But I think the parent should decide when their child should start solids. Most doctor's do advise to wait until 6 months, but some don't.

We can still serve things outside of the fp, but not claim them. So as long as we say, feed a 5 month old a bottle, which is required, and food, we can still claim that meal.
Heidi 12:27 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Isn't the requirement for whole milk already 12-24 months?

I agree, the frying part is too vague. What do they consider frying? Sometimes I make homemade hashbrowns and have to use olive or veggie oil. Maybe they mean deep frying?

I like the new age groups for infants. But I think the parent should decide when their child should start solids. Most doctor's do advise to wait until 6 months, but some don't.

We can still serve things outside of the fp, but not claim them. So as long as we say, feed a 5 month old a bottle, which is required, and food, we can still claim that meal.
No, it's currently a recommendation, to a requirement.
Heidi 12:34 PM 01-30-2015

I would read the proposal as saying you can, you just don't claim it. Of course, some FP may interpret that differently (or some providers) and therefore not offer it at all until 6 months.
- Requires whole milk from 12-24 months. (My registered dietician sister in law who specializes in childhood obesity and diabetes says they get enough fat in their diets and you can't tell which children are at risk for obesity that young.)I personally think the whole low-fat milk thing is a huge crock. Kids aren't overweight because of milk, and we all know it.
Do you think that means we HAVE to accommodate every parent's wish? I'd take it as the parent can decide vs. the doctor, making it easier, but the provider still gets a say.
- Separates fruits/veggies into separate components. (You can't serve 2 veggies anymore, just 1 of each. Seems less healthy to me...)Totally agree there. I rarely serve fruit at lunch. Breakfast and snack, yes, lunch, always 2 veggies.
Thanks for sharing that!
melilley 12:41 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
No, it's currently a recommendation, to a requirement.
Interesting, my fp sponsor told me I have to give whole milk to my 12-24 month kids, then 1% or less to kids over 24 months.
melilley 12:44 PM 01-30-2015
I support the whole milk, thing, though. I have seen many reports that people who drink whole milk weigh LESS than those who drink skim, and it doesn't seem right to me to put a toddler on a "diet" of any form. I have 2 kids here on soy milk, 1 on rice milk, 1 on whole milk, and 1 on 1%...it is NOT fun to store all that milk! I have a 2nd refrigerator here that is full of only milk!
I have whole, 1%, 2% (for my dh), and had almond milk for another child.
Heidi 12:47 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Interesting, my fp sponsor told me I have to give whole milk to my 12-24 month kids, then 1% or less to kids over 24 months.
yeah, one of mine tried to tell me that, too. When I questioned it, she went back and checked.

The way the rule is written, it says "Milk served must be low-fat (1%) or non-fat (skim) for children ages 2 years and older and adults.". It doesn't even mention 1 year olds. Most doctors recommend Whole milk, though, so that's why FP people say it.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...hild_Meals.pdf
renodeb 01:04 PM 01-30-2015
To be honest, I have never had an infant start foods right at 6 mos. I don't think it hurts kids to drink the whole milk. I have read study after study that shows kids who drink whole milk weigh no more than kids who have had other kinds of milk. Providers are going to be up in arms no matter what it seems. With the fajta issue wouldn't that be more like stir fry?
I don't like change of any kind so I will be interested to see how it plays out. I'm sure they will talk about it at our next training.
melilley 01:10 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
yeah, one of mine tried to tell me that, too. When I questioned it, she went back and checked.

The way the rule is written, it says "Milk served must be low-fat (1%) or non-fat (skim) for children ages 2 years and older and adults.". It doesn't even mention 1 year olds. Most doctors recommend Whole milk, though, so that's why FP people say it.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...hild_Meals.pdf
Ahhh, makes sense.
KiddieCahoots 01:23 PM 01-30-2015
My fp lady was just here last week and told me this was coming.

I love the information shared here, thank you!
jenboo 01:25 PM 01-30-2015

- Infants can't start solid foods until 6 months. (Some children are ready before that.) I have never had an infant start before 6 months. I personally don't think their digestive tracks are ready yet
- Restricts cheese for infants 6-12 months. (Because they can chew other forms of protein better??) This is weird. why can't they have cheese?
- Requires whole milk from 12-24 months. (My registered dietician sister in law who specializes in childhood obesity and diabetes says they get enough fat in their diets and you can't tell which children are at risk for obesity that young.) My food program requires this already.
- Allows non-dairy milk substitute with parent signature, not a doctor's signature. (Imagine if 1 child is on soy, another on almond, 12 mo old on whole and everyone else on 1% - my refrigerator isn't that big!) I love this. I do not think people should consume dairy...especially milk. I hate being required to give them milk. Most of my parents would be just fine with me serving an alternative. My parents also do not know the food program rules. If I had 5 families wanting different milk, I would just say i only serve option a or b. Pick which one you want.
- Separates fruits/veggies into separate components. (You can't serve 2 veggies anymore, just 1 of each. Seems less healthy to me...) I definitely dont like this. Fruit has tons of sugar. I do not think they need fruit at lunch. I almost always do fruit at breakfast, two veggies at lunch and alternate between a fruit or veggie at snack.
I think they really need to focus more on the quality/nutrition of the food being served. They allow tons of junk and processed food.
We can serve donuts, coffee cake, a huge selection of sugary cereals, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, boxed mac and cheese..etc.
NoMoreJuice! 01:41 PM 01-30-2015
"Disallowing grain‐based desserts from counting towards the grain component"

Anyone think this means granola bars? My food program rep counts them as a dessert (allowed 2x per week).

Also, I'm positive they mean deep frying. A little oil in a pan can't possibly be banned.

Other than that, no issues at all for me. I LOVE that they're lightening the restrictions on almond milk!!! I will be putting all my kids on it. Goodbye gross cow milk! I hated that USDA mandated that we forced it on all kids unless they had a medical restriction with a Dr's note.
NoMoreJuice! 01:44 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I think they really need to focus more on the quality/nutrition of the food being served. They allow tons of junk and processed food.
We can serve donuts, coffee cake, a huge selection of sugary cereals, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, boxed mac and cheese..etc.
Oh my gosh, I agree completely. Get rid of processed boxed crap and maybe our kids wouldn't have an obesity issue(which has NOTHING to do with fat percentages in milk, give us a break)! Also, why are we not raising taxes like a billion percent on Happy Meals? Every time taxes go up on tobacco, usage drops, why not fast food? Oh, sorry...need to slow down my rant train.
jenboo 02:00 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Oh my gosh, I agree completely. Get rid of processed boxed crap and maybe our kids wouldn't have an obesity issue(which has NOTHING to do with fat percentages in milk, give us a break)! Also, why are we not raising taxes like a billion percent on Happy Meals? Every time taxes go up on tobacco, usage drops, why not fast food? Oh, sorry...need to slow down my rant train.

Unregistered 02:14 PM 01-30-2015
On our fp we have had to serve whole or 2% to age 12-24 months and 1% or skim to age 2 and up, for a couple of years now. Requirement. I do the highest fat allowed.
crazydaycarelady 02:20 PM 01-30-2015
Being on the lower Tier already I'll just go off if they make too many more changes.

We are only allowed to serve 1% or skim milk here. Also only homemade chicken nuggets, no donuts or coffee cake, no cookies except homemade and only oatmeal. Only homemade mac -n cheese.

I don't like the one fruit and one veggie rule either. A lot of times I'll serve something like spaghetti (tomato sauce) with a garden salad.
Leigh 03:15 PM 01-30-2015
About the frying: I BELIEVE that they consider frying to be when you add fats to the pan (like butter on a grilled cheese or olive oil for saute). I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it. I'm FINE with not deep frying, but NO fats to the pan would wipe out a lot of my menu (I use olive oil a lot).

And, yes, granola bars would no longer be allowed (at least where I live). I don't like that no dessert grains, either. Once a week, my kids get donuts, strudel, monkey bread or the like for breakfast and they LOVE that. I'd hate to get rid of that...I don't think that the current twice a week rule is out of line at all.
jenboo 03:17 PM 01-30-2015
About the frying: I BELIEVE that they consider frying to be when you add fats to the pan (like butter on a grilled cheese or olive oil for saute). I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it. I'm FINE with not deep frying, but NO fats to the pan would wipe out a lot of my menu (I use olive oil a lot).
That would pretty much wipe out anything cooked in a pan.
Unregistered 03:22 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
"Disallowing grain‐based desserts from counting towards the grain component"

Anyone think this means granola bars? My food program rep counts them as a dessert (allowed 2x per week).

Also, I'm positive they mean deep frying. A little oil in a pan can't possibly be banned.

Other than that, no issues at all for me. I LOVE that they're lightening the restrictions on almond milk!!! I will be putting all my kids on it. Goodbye gross cow milk! I hated that USDA mandated that we forced it on all kids unless they had a medical restriction with a Dr's note.
Sounds like cookies to me. But I don't have any knowledge. It's just what a lot of people think of when we say snack. Cookies and milk.
Leigh 05:21 PM 01-30-2015
That's what I was thinking, too!
grateday 12:24 PM 02-03-2015
Contrary to popular belief, the fat from cows milk is healthy for children and contributes to there health but doesn't take away from it. Many replacements for fat are in the form of sugar/carbs or sugar substitutes and that is not healthy at all. Not requiring a dr. note for a different kind of milk is a great idea.

I know I sound terrible but here is why the milk thing is absurd. There are children who have issues with milk that does not show up on a standard medical test. There are children with food issues and it will not show up with allergy testing. These children react in ways to food that unless you've dealt with it is a big deal. I know it is not a main stream diagnosis but it something that a doctor (neurologist) who is also a mom came up with: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS). These kids have a range of reactions to foods if they eat the wrong thing and that is why I don't think that one dr's opinion is the one and only answer to everything. It is time we came together to suppport healthy children and if it means moms pitching in with food costs and providers who can support them, than try it is worth it to see that struggling child doing better and that family healthier.

I am going through a terrible time with the food program requirements milk thing right now because of a doctors note (actually the mom is). I am just trying to be compliant.

I have seen a seven year old in my occasional care go absolutely nuts when consuming wheat/dairy, so bad I have had to call mom to pick up......It is out of control raging fits, screaming ..like something just clicks in the child and there is no way to reach them.....
grateday 12:28 PM 02-03-2015
That's what I was thinking, too!
Pan fry vs. deep fryer frying.........

Microwaving is not all that great of a way to cook food it changes the molecular make up of the food......

I hope we don't have to microwave everything.....
LysesKids 01:41 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:
Pan fry vs. deep fryer frying.........

Microwaving is not all that great of a way to cook food it changes the molecular make up of the food......

I hope we don't have to microwave everything.....
I don't own a microwave lol... everything is done old school here; occasional deep-fry but only for my Indian Somosas and the like. I do a lot of ethnic cooking, including homemade tortilla ( really not that hard)
grandmom 03:49 PM 02-03-2015
FRY

verb

cook (food) in hot fat or oil, typically in a shallow pan.

synonyms: cook, sauté, sear, brown, sizzle, frizzle, pan-fry, deep-fry, flash-fry
"fry the onions in the skillet"

DEEP FRY

verb

fry (food) in an amount of fat or oil sufficient to cover it completely.
"deep-fried onion rings"

I think we should assume it means no oil/butter/etc in the pan at all. Bummer.
snbauser 07:22 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by grandmom:
FRY

verb

synonyms: cook, sauté, sear, brown, sizzle, frizzle, pan-fry, deep-fry, flash-fry

DEEP FRY

verb

"deep-fried onion rings"

I'm curious to see what they come back with. My sponsor said she has no idea what they are thinking because it is vague. I wouldn't be suprised to see them come back and say nothing in a pan/skillet/griddle. I know when I was a center I wasn't even allowed to make pancakes, grilled cheese, quesadillas, eggs, etc because that was considered "frying".
daycarechick 08:01 PM 02-03-2015
some changes are good -- like allowing protein at breakfast. Eggs, YAY!!
some are ok -- like parent notes, not doctors. what a PITA to get an appt, etc just for a milk note.
some are stupid -- like the ambiguity of "fry". I take it to mean 1/2" or more of oil but could be wrong. obviously DEEP fried anything should be out, but total no-fry would include many chicken dishes, fajitas, potato pancakes, eggrolls & many other ethnic foods, but they want us to serve a variety of ethnic foods and celebrate ethnic holidays. they need to make up their minds.
I do babies/toddlers only and it is already a pain to have different formulas & breast milks, there really has to be some kind of moderation in all this. and definitely a raise in reimb rates to compensate for the extra fridge, etc... otherwise everyone will drop the FP and have parents brown bag it, which means capri-sun, chips and a lunchable. that's certainly heading in the right direction!!!
but one change that does NEED to be made is consistency across the board, not each state having their own take on the rules. some require 2 hot meals a week, others no minimum. some consider granola bars a dessert, and others not, just a regular bread alternative.
Angelsj 01:10 PM 02-04-2015
The milk thing already did it for me. I serve ALL the children whole milk.
Unregistered 02:59 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I'm curious to see what they come back with. My sponsor said she has no idea what they are thinking because it is vague. I wouldn't be suprised to see them come back and say nothing in a pan/skillet/griddle. I know when I was a center I wasn't even allowed to make pancakes, grilled cheese, quesadillas, eggs, etc because that was considered "frying".
I've made quesadillas and grilled cheese in the oven on broil ;-)
lovemylittles 05:40 PM 02-04-2015
Actually, I attended the webinar and they stated that they "have not defined frying as of yet" and that they want providers to write in about what they constitute frying and what the providers feel about frying and how it should be handled. I have an issue with the fact that they have not defined much of this: the frying and the dessert.
You can watch the webinar now at http://frac.peachnewmedia.com/store/...el3ljwiFMXE%3D

I really take issue with the separation of the fruit and veggie components at lunch time because I serve my children fruit for breakfast and snack, and two vegetables at lunch. Sometimes this is the only time the children will eat vegetables because they will not eat them at home for their parents and I believe that they are important parts of a meal.
I'm waiting to see what happens, I plan to write in, but I am seriously considering removing myself from the program if they separate the two components and make us serve one fruit and one vegetable...I refuse to fight with kids who will only eat the fruit at lunch and then scream during nap because they are hungry because all they want is the fruit. Nope, just won't do it.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 02-05-2015
"The things I personally have a problem with are:
Infants shouldn't start solids until they are 6 months. It leads to food allergies. All my daughters had up until 6 months was my milk. That's all they need until then.

I will be so glad that all the children in my care don't have to have cow's milk. It's the dairy association that pushes all this cow's milk on people; we don't need it in our diet. Cow's don't drink milk!!! And their calves only drink fresh milk from their moms. They would die if given a steady diet of the cooked (pasteurized) milk given to humans. Do some research on this; people really don't need milk. I've had several kids that just don't like milk and won't drink it. It will be so much easier not having to push it on them!

Vegetables and fruits are both healthy and good for us, so it shouldn't be a problem giving them one of each. I mostly do that now.

I like most of the proposed changes. I still think until the parents get it about proper nutrition, the kids won't care much about eating healthier food, but I've taught a few kids to like veggies!
Jack Sprat 07:23 AM 02-05-2015
In KS we are allowed to serve 1 or 2% to children over the age of 12 months. I was told when DD was an infant to serve her whole milk till she was 2 unless her father or I had issues with cholesterol then she would be tested and we would go from there. This was 12yrs ago though.

I'm not sure if its a food program rule or a suggestion but, boxed and processed foods are a no no. Sugary cereals I think can be served 2x a week. I really don't know for sure. I don't buy those cereals. As far as the veg and fruit component at each meal I have thought for two years I had to serve one of each at lunch so I have.
daycarediva 09:15 AM 02-05-2015
REALLY?! Ours limit sugar in cereals to 6g or less.

I serve boxed mac & cheese (organic) and homemade nuggets once/month.
daycarediva 09:21 AM 02-05-2015
Most of the changes do not affect me, I did the survey that I agreed with them, especially the whole grain addition!

I do serve organic animal crackers every now and then, I will just switch it up to organic cheddar bunnies or chex mix.
laundrymom 09:32 AM 02-05-2015
I make "toasted" cheese. Works for both the kids, and my desire not to fry. I just make grilled cheese in a pan w no butter.

Originally Posted by grandmom:
FRY

verb

DEEP FRY

verb

"deep-fried onion rings"

Annalee 09:49 AM 02-05-2015
We make grilled cheese in the heated sandwich makers....
apick 02:35 PM 02-20-2015
I didn't read all of the comments, but I actually this these are AWESOME changes!!! Some that are long over due!!

It doesn't say that you have to give babies solids at 6 months, but that you could and they would reimburse you for them. I like that! It gives you more options if the parents want their kid eating solids earlier than 8 months. I mean the 8 month thing was stupid and just gave providers more ways of being cheap and denying babies food they probably wanted badly. Also the getting reimbursed for a mom nursing on site ---- YES!!! This will help so many providers be more breastfeeding friendly! The #1 complaint I heard from people about not letting mom nurse on site was that it would take away from the meals they could claim for the baby. I love this and have been hoping to see this change since I begin doing daycare! I don't really get the restricting cheese part though. Maybe because it's due to it being hard for their tummies to digest?

For the older kids, I also like requiring whole make for 1 year olds. It's what they need for their little brains to grow properly. I have had up to 4 kinds of milk in my fridge to accommodate allergies, ages or parent preferences - 1%, whole, almond and goat. I really don't think that's a big deal and its part of my job to provide those things. LOVE the adding a protein for breakfast!!! The kids really need it so I'm super super happy to see that! Love the whole grains too, seriously 50% or more of the grains we serve should be whole wheat! I don't fry anything for the kids so that's not an issue for me. I mostly bake or grill stuff to keep it healthy, kids get enough crap food from their parents.

I don't really understand the dividing of the fruit/veggie thing though. Maybe their thinking is most kids don't like veggies so if you serve all veggies the kids aren't eating as much? Or maybe they caught people using a mixed veggie and trying to claim it as their full veggie component? I'm sure there is some thought behind this, I just wish it was explained better.

I personally am VERY happy to see them making changes to improve healthy eating. Sorry to see that many of you don't agree.
Unregistered 04:33 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by apick:
I don't really understand the dividing of the fruit/veggie thing though. Maybe their thinking is most kids don't like veggies so if you serve all veggies the kids aren't eating as much? Or maybe they caught people using a mixed veggie and trying to claim it as their full veggie component? I'm sure there is some thought behind this, I just wish it was explained better.
I think they are dividing the fruit veggie group because of providers only doing fruit. Just a thought! I serve both all the time so it doesn't matter to me.
Missani 09:07 PM 02-26-2015
I do think most of the changes are fine and won't affect me much. I love the idea of adding proteins for breakfast, but the "no frying" rule would make it very difficult for me. Ideally, I try to serve protein for breakfast as often as possible, but I have a lot of peanut and tree nut allergies as well as a sunflower seed allergy so no but butters or most alternative nut butters are not an option. I serve eggs in 5 different ways, which would no longer be allowed as I have to fry them in a pan. (Scrambled eggs, egg sandwiches on whole wheat bread, spinach omlettes, breakfast burritos on whole wheat tortillas, etc.). I've done hard boiled eggs, but I serve 15 for breakfast, which means peeling about 30 eggs so it's very time consuming. There's only so much turkey sausage one can handle, and even that I usually cook on a griddle, which wouldn't be allowed. So, besides hard boiled eggs, what are protein breakfast options? Also, I try to minimize cereals in favor of a hot breakfast, but without anything made with eggs, pancakes, turkey sausage, French toast, etc, I'm thinking it might be toast and hard boiled eggs everyday. Maybe egg bakes or quiche? What else?
Unregistered 02:25 AM 02-27-2015
What's the difference between buttering ( I use organic real butter-IMHO there is issues with margarine) toast or having bread and butter and making a grilled cheese? I use the same about of butter on a grilled cheese, frying pancakes, etc as I do buttering toast.

I'm careful to use a light hand with butter. When I make scrambled eggs I use a tiny amount of butter(like really tiny). And then there's my breakfast skillet I serve at lunch...potatoes, eggs and cheese. I use a tiny amount of butter there too. I do use a ceramic skillet, so not much butter is needed.

I make homemade pizza crust ......the non yeast kind, and there's butter in there and I have to oil the pan a bit. What's the difference? I don't know... I feel we need fats, good fats...avocado, nuts, olives and a tiny bit of butter even!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:38 AM 02-27-2015
I can't believe flavored milk is a part of the food program. I had no idea. Doesn't make sense to me.
Unregistered 08:34 AM 02-27-2015
Our fp does not allow homemade mac and cheese (or box) unless another protein is also served.
Annalee 09:33 AM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Our fp does not allow homemade mac and cheese (or box) unless another protein is also served.
I know of daycares here who cut up hotdogs in their mac/cheese for this reason.
Rockgirl 10:28 AM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Infants shouldn't start solids until they are 6 months. It leads to food allergies. All my daughters had up until 6 months was my milk. That's all they need until then.
It's always interesting to me when this point is brought up. The generation I grew up in--babies were routinely given rice cereal in their bottles of formula starting at about 10 days to two weeks old. Hardly any kids I knew growing up we're allergic to any foods. Now, many kids are allergic, and even deathly allergic to a long list of foods.

Of course I'm not saying this is all due to giving or not giving solids as newborns. I believe there are other factors involved, but I'm just not sure I believe that starting solids early absolutely causes food allergies.
Unregistered 12:00 PM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I know of daycares here who cut up hotdogs in their mac/cheese for this reason.
Don't even know what to say to that
I think it's silly because it's easy to make mac n cheese swimming in cheese, served with broccoli to use up any overflow.
We can't do any nut butters w/o another protein either. But my kids would each eat by the spoonful if I let them. So weird, some of the rules lately.
Play Care 12:24 PM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
It's always interesting to me when this point is brought up. The generation I grew up in--babies were routinely given rice cereal in their bottles of formula starting at about 10 days to two weeks old. Hardly any kids I knew growing up we're allergic to any foods. Now, many kids are allergic, and even deathly allergic to a long list of foods.

Of course I'm not saying this is all due to giving or not giving solids as newborns. I believe there are other factors involved, but I'm just not sure I believe that starting solids early absolutely causes food allergies.
This.
Somewhat related was an interesting article about how holding off on exposing kids to peanuts may be causing the steep rise in peanut allergies. I don't think a six week old baby needs food, but I wonder if this holding off on introducing food until 6,8,12 months has more to do with serious allergies then feeding too early.
LadyBugHugs 08:49 AM 02-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycarechick:
some changes are good -- like allowing protein at breakfast. Eggs, YAY!!
some are ok -- like parent notes, not doctors. what a PITA to get an appt, etc just for a milk note.
some are stupid -- like the ambiguity of "fry". I take it to mean 1/2" or more of oil but could be wrong. obviously DEEP fried anything should be out, but total no-fry would include many chicken dishes, fajitas, potato pancakes, eggrolls & many other ethnic foods, but they want us to serve a variety of ethnic foods and celebrate ethnic holidays. they need to make up their minds.
I do babies/toddlers only and it is already a pain to have different formulas & breast milks, there really has to be some kind of moderation in all this. and definitely a raise in reimb rates to compensate for the extra fridge, etc... otherwise everyone will drop the FP and have parents brown bag it, which means capri-sun, chips and a lunchable. that's certainly heading in the right direction!!!
but one change that does NEED to be made is consistency across the board, not each state having their own take on the rules. some require 2 hot meals a week, others no minimum. some consider granola bars a dessert, and others not, just a regular bread alternative.
This has nothing to do with the post but your photo next to your name regarding the espresso and free cat...I can't stop laughing!!!
Unregistered 01:38 PM 02-28-2015
My biggest problem with the food program is the loose interpretation by the monitors. Different FP people have different interpretations, and it can vary from state to state. I had to argue using organic clif z-bars because the first ingredient is rolled oats but does not specifically state "whole grain" rolled oats, event though oats are, by definition, a whole grain. They gave me a list of other foods I could serve instead, like poptarts. These food count because they have vitamin and mineral powder or whatever mixed in to them to same them "healthier". Are you kidding me? Our state is even talking about requiring homes to keep a written record of how much of each food item is being used in the meal, based on the number of children in attendance. The food production record who have to state how many in each age group, times the amount of the required item, so if I came out with needing 1.75 pounds of ground beef (after cooking of course, not raw weight!) they that's what I have to use. No estimating, or if I buy a package that is 2 pounds raw but cooks down to 1.7 pounds, that won't work either. I don't have time during my day to weigh meat after I've cooked it!
I also don't like the no dairy before 12 months change. Most kids won't eat meat before a year (they don't have teeth!). Or I have had a number of vegetarian families. So the only food I can give them is egg yolk or beans. The little ones love yogurt and cheese.
I don't get it, and sometimes I wonder why I even bother with the food program.
Reply Up