Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts?
gbcc 07:33 AM 12-27-2010
So today is the first day I am open for Christmas break. I told everyone we would be going to a movie today. They are $0.75!!

So, I have two little 2 year olds I would need to take. I told the older children (6 years to 9 years) to be quiet so the babies could nap. That way I didn't need to worry about them being cranky. Well I put in a movie for the older ones since NONE of them brought appropriate attire for outside. Anyways about half way through (40 mins) the movie they started being nauty. Continuous talking, giggling, bouncing around ect. The one baby didn't even nap and the other woke up.

So now I told them that if they can't even respect me in my home I don't see why I should take them out in public and spend my money on tickets, food and gas.

One girl was really good and the other two weren't terribly bad so I feel for them. What are thoughts on this? Now they are being very good because they know I'm disappointed. I also don't want them to think they can do as they please all vacation.
marniewon 07:42 AM 12-27-2010
It's too bad you don't have someone who can stay home with the "naughty" ones and take the good ones to the movie. It's a tough call - i don't know how I would handle it either.
gbcc 07:45 AM 12-27-2010
Well, I could have one of my assistants but then I would have to pay them. I don't know how parents would respond if I made them split the fee bc their kids were naughty.

Maybe go and buy the good ones something at concession?
marniewon 06:41 PM 12-27-2010
What did you end up doing?
countrymom 03:55 AM 12-28-2010
I tell the kids what I expect of them before we go out and what the conseqences are if they are bad and I do inforce my consequences. Also, I would have made the one naughty one either sit one seat down or sit infront of me in the theatre. And because I"m mean, I would buy alll the kids a treat-but only the good children would get a treat. wow! I wish we had movies that cheap.
gbcc 05:04 AM 12-28-2010
I didn't end up going. The children are all school aged so I explained what I thought of their behavior. I pointed out that they did not have very much respect for me, my rules, the younger ones napping, or each other. I said I was not starting my wk off this way and therefore we would not be going. I also asked if anyone of them could give me a good reason why I should spend money on tickets and gas if they could not respect me or each other? No one had any ideas! The two oldest complained how hungry they were all afternoon and didn't participate in anything with us but to me I think that was more defience and boredom.
Former Teacher 05:39 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I didn't end up going. The children are all school aged so I explained what I thought of their behavior. I pointed out that they did not have very much respect for me, my rules, the younger ones napping, or each other. I said I was not starting my wk off this way and therefore we would not be going. I also asked if anyone of them could give me a good reason why I should spend money on tickets and gas if they could not respect me or each other? No one had any ideas! The two oldest complained how hungry they were all afternoon and didn't participate in anything with us but to me I think that was more defience and boredom.
I totally agree. I wouldn't have taken them either.
SilverSabre25 07:20 AM 12-28-2010
I think you handled it perfectly. They need to learn that their actions have consequences: misbehave, and they don't get to do something fun. Behave, and they get fun privileges. Perfect life lesson.
gbcc 12:10 PM 12-28-2010
Thank you! I think the issue was that I was concerned that the parents would be upset. I have a bunch of spoiled children with no discipline. I did have one angry parent but thinking about it. I should be angry that I need to parent their children because they can't!
Tags:bad behavior, punishment
Reply Up