Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Texting And Write Off
caring4kidsinSD 08:11 AM 11-22-2011
Here's the deal - I am behind times. while I have a smartphone, texting wasn't included so I blocked it as I don't need it. I have email I can get on the phone, or call me. So I tell the parents, to call or email me - but don't text as I don't get it.

WEll today I am short 2 kids and haven't been notified if they are coming or not and wondering if I did get texting if parents would actually use it to communicate with me better. I used to call them if they are late but I got fed up doing that because it took too much time when the other kids are here but texting wouldn't take as much time to do (Mainly I did that because you hear stories like dad or mom left the baby in the car and it died and I always said to myself - why didn't the daycare provider call and find out where the child was)

So if I would put a texting plan on my phone, could I write off the entire texting bill as I am getting it for parent communication? (Granted I'm sure others from church would figure out Ive unblocked it and start using it as well but it's main purpose would be for parental communication)
TomCopeland 11:51 AM 11-22-2011
Yes, you could deduct the added cost of texting. It's only the regular monthly fee for the first phone line into your home that is not deductible. Any additional phone services such as texting or caller id can be deducted. I'd deduct 100% of the cost if you won't be texting on your own. An occasional text in response to someone personally wouldn't change this.
caring4kidsinSD 07:55 PM 11-22-2011
Thanks for responding Tom
frgsonmysox 09:34 PM 12-05-2011
Jumping in here, if you don't mind. What do you mean you can't claim the first line coming into the home? My husband and I only have cell phones. So can I claim/deduct some of the expenses of my phone since it will be used for business, just can't do his phone? Or do I need to get a landline devoted solely to daycare?
Michael 09:38 PM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
Jumping in here, if you don't mind. What do you mean you can't claim the first line coming into the home? My husband and I only have cell phones. So can I claim/deduct some of the expenses of my phone since it will be used for business, just can't do his phone? Or do I need to get a landline devoted solely to daycare?
You have one for personal before you can write off one for business. I try to not mix CC's, cars, phones etc between business and personal. One for each makes it easier and cleaner with the IRS. I am sure Tom will clarify.
caring4kidsinSD 12:24 PM 12-06-2011
I have 'magic jack' as my personal line so I claim cell phone as business line. plus doing daycare I like to have a phone in the house in case I"m out running an errand and my sub doesn't have a cell phone or in case I let mine completely die!
Tags:deduction - cell phone, texting
Reply Up