Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers in MA
CraftyMom 01:25 PM 07-21-2014
Do you require a deposit to secure a spot?

No one around here seems to. I want to for obvious reasons, but will it push people away?
Reply
SignMeUp 01:45 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Do you require a deposit to secure a spot?

No one around here seems to. I want to for obvious reasons, but will it push people away?
I never used to, never needed to. Then about ten years ago, people started cancelling out on me after saving a spot for them, mostly when they found someone cheaper
Now I require two weeks, plus an enrollment fee.
I have not had a single cancellation since I began that.

If it's not common in your area, I understand your hesitation. But I started charging higher fees for longer hours when no one else was doing it, and people still signed up.
Maybe you could start small, with a one week deposit? Or one week plus enrollment fee? You can add another week in the future if it's working for you. Just be sure to keep track of what you've promised each family, because it's not fun to go back five years later and figure it out
Ask me how I know that

I believe that people place a higher value on my services because I require a fairly hefty deposit
Reply
KiddieCahoots 04:54 PM 07-21-2014
I do. Especially when the "feast season", begins and the calls keep coming in.
For some reason, when we start talking $ and securing the position from someone else getting it, that's when it seems that the serious players come forward, kwim?
Reply
rosieteddy 05:02 PM 07-21-2014
I require a deposit of one week fee .This holds the spot and is not applied to the tuition.If holding a spot for more than 3 weeks I also require the first two weeks also non refundable. I think once we start doing this parents choose carefully .
Reply
e.j. 06:57 PM 07-21-2014
I've never asked for a deposit and so far, it hasn't been a problem for me. Most of my families come to me through word of mouth - friends of current day care families. I think that helps.
Reply
CraftyMom 07:00 PM 07-21-2014
Thank guys.

I think I will start charging a deposit and see how it goes. My current issue is with a mom who is "very interested" and texted twice that she wants the spot and a week and a half later I do not have the paperwork from her, which is what reserves their spot for up to a week with no pay, any longer than that requires full weekly pay.

Problem is that I only have one spot available and I now have another interested family that is ready to go, but I'm waiting on this other mom. I'm wondering if she's having second thoughts, but when I texted 3 days ago she was "excited and eager". I don't want to end up with her backing out and then the other family has already moved on. If I charged a deposit then it would be more definite.

I'll just text her again and let her know that I have this family interested and need a commitment from her.

Could I go ahead and charge a deposit now, even though it isn't my policy? And whichever family commits first with the deposit gets the spot? I've never had it come down to 2 families like this
Reply
e.j. 07:07 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Could I go ahead and charge a deposit now, even though it isn't my policy? And whichever family commits first with the deposit gets the spot? I've never had it come down to 2 families like this
Since you do want to start asking for deposits, I would say this is a good time to start as long as you didn't discuss not requiring a deposit with either family during your interview with them.
Reply
KiddieCahoots 07:12 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Thank guys.

I think I will start charging a deposit and see how it goes. My current issue is with a mom who is "very interested" and texted twice that she wants the spot and a week and a half later I do not have the paperwork from her, which is what reserves their spot for up to a week with no pay, any longer than that requires full weekly pay.

Problem is that I only have one spot available and I now have another interested family that is ready to go, but I'm waiting on this other mom. I'm wondering if she's having second thoughts, but when I texted 3 days ago she was "excited and eager". I don't want to end up with her backing out and then the other family has already moved on. If I charged a deposit then it would be more definite.

I'll just text her again and let her know that I have this family interested and need a commitment from her.

Could I go ahead and charge a deposit now, even though it isn't my policy? And whichever family commits first with the deposit gets the spot? I've never had it come down to 2 families like this
Go for it!
This would definitely be the time I go with setting up and charging a deposit.
Congrats on the two families
Reply
aDCProvider 07:41 PM 07-21-2014
Just wanted to chime in...I also collect a 2 week deposit (last 2 weeks).
Reply
KiddieCahoots 07:42 PM 07-21-2014
You probably already saw DaisyMamma's thread,.....don't forget to have them sign a security deposit receipt.
Reply
Tags:massachusetts, massachusetts member
Reply Up