Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Default Can Unlicensed Home Child Care Providers Be Paid By The Parent's Government Programs?

Carefully and correctly providing care for low income families from my home is what I want to do. These kinds of parents don't have enough money to pay for most things themselves, so they get help from the government. Can an unlicensed child care provider be paid by the government?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Depends on what state you are in.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

You should contact your local childcare services department to ask. In my state, an unlicensed provider may be paid, but they will be paid MUCH less than a licensed provider, and are allowed to care for the children of only one family.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

In NH you can be as long as you are legally unlicensed which means 3 kids or less that are not your own. The unlicensed rate is lower though.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

In my state it's called legally exempt I believe. You could care for two children only, and the pay is significantly less than what a registered provider makes. ( what they reimburse registered providers is less than my rate). I also have to wait weeks at a time, was just reimbursed for April. It also depends on the parents following through with pay stubs and other requirements.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

In WI...no

You must be certified (lower pay rate) or licensed, and you must participate in QRIS.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM

In alabama, no. You must be licensed for even one single child who is not related.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

I could in IL ( 3 or less kids), had to be registered in IN and I can do it here in TN as legally license exempt, however as has been mentioned, much lower pay and trying to get parents to pay the difference seems like too much hassle
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Daycare.com member

In Illinois you can but it is not as much as it would be if I was licensed. I have one dcb whose mom gets the assistance. She pays me my regular weekly rate, when I get the check I credit it on her next payment.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
In Illinois you can but it is not as much as it would be if I was licensed. I have one dcb whose mom gets the assistance. She pays me my regular weekly rate, when I get the check I credit it on her next payment.
At this point, this is the ONLY way I would take state assistance now. Too bad my competition won't stick to that.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
At this point, this is the ONLY way I would take state assistance now. Too bad my competition won't stick to that.
. I hear that

I quit taking IL assistance; I lived there when the state stopped paying the providers... to bad, not sad; I was living in public housing and a registered provider, if the state didn't pay me, how was I to pay my rent. I moved within 18 months, and only then because I was lucky enough to get a small share from a trust
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
This is the only way I will take it in the future as well. I termed an assistance family and still haven't been paid for May or June! Was JUST paid for April!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

In MD no , you can't .
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Legally unlicensed providers in MN can be paid via state assistance but the amount is ALOT less than it is for licensed providers and there are some stipulations such as being over 18 and not providing the care in the child's home and not being related to the child.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Carefully and correctly providing care for low income families from my home is what I want to do. These kinds of parents don't have enough money to pay for most things themselves, so they get help from the government. Can an unlicensed child care provider be paid by the government?
Where I live, the state will pay an "exempt provider" (much less!) for care of a child if from one family ONLY OR for any child in her own family if in the care of CPS and she is fostering, even if not "technically" a foster parent
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM

In Michigan you can receive State subsidy for children in the system if you are unlicensed in your home AND if the children are related.

Tags
daycare is not a charity, non-profit, subsidy