Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Year Old Heart Stopped In Daycare
sarahhardy2711 09:33 AM 04-30-2013
A mom in a moms group I'm apart of just lost her 1 year old daughter! Long story short she went to her daycare fine and while she was there they said her heart stopped, they tried to revive her and I guess did so enough to get her to the hospital. Eventually she made it to AI Dupont Children's Hospital and was on machines. The next day they ran tests on her brain and doctors found her to be brain dead. The little girl has gone to heaven, but this made me think about how often this happens.
Has anyone ever had to do life saving measures while running your daycare?
Cradle2crayons 09:41 AM 04-30-2013
Oh my gosh that is so horrible!!! What an awful thing to happen!! I've never had to use life saving measures in my home daycare, but I've performed CPR on infants and children several times in a hospital setting. About the only medical thing I've done here other than basic first aid is having to replace a Mickey j button.
lovemykidstoo 09:46 AM 04-30-2013
I have not had to do CPR thankfully, but I did have approximately a 2-3 yr old dcg choke on a piece of food one time and she was not taking in air at all. So I guess technically that is a life-saving move. I was calm, cool and collected during that time, but as soon as I knew she was okay, I went in the other room and just melted into tears.
daycarediva 09:51 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have not had to do CPR thankfully, but I did have approximately a 2-3 yr old dcg choke on a piece of food one time and she was not taking in air at all. So I guess technically that is a life-saving move. I was calm, cool and collected during that time, but as soon as I knew she was okay, I went in the other room and just melted into tears.
you are awesome!!!!!

The only cpr I have ever done on anyone, is my own ds. He's fine now, but I was in panic mode and bawling through the whole thing, I didn't even realize the paramedics (and THE ENTIRE FIRE DEPARTMENT/bil was a firefighter) were standing next to me until they picked me up off of him.

The next time he coded, I was so thankful to be at a hospital.
lovemykidstoo 10:00 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
you are awesome!!!!!

The only cpr I have ever done on anyone, is my own ds. He's fine now, but I was in panic mode and bawling through the whole thing, I didn't even realize the paramedics (and THE ENTIRE FIRE DEPARTMENT/bil was a firefighter) were standing next to me until they picked me up off of him.

The next time he coded, I was so thankful to be at a hospital.
You just gave me chills with this! Thank God you knew what to do!
Play Care 10:11 AM 04-30-2013
How horrible!
Was there an undetected heart condition?
I have never had to do CPR though am always current with my certifications.
Sprouts 10:14 AM 04-30-2013
my husband tells me we should have a defribilator here, i didnt take him serious about it until reading that. Its a good question though, how often has something like this happened? For a babies heart to just stop has to be some underlying condition unless they were choking.
Cradle2crayons 10:16 AM 04-30-2013
This happens commonly in athletes of all ages, but a child that age it seems just have had an underlying issue.
rmc20021 10:19 AM 04-30-2013
How horrible...and how horrible that provider must feel with it happening on her watch (although I'm sure it was nothing due to the provider's fault).

I once had a little girl choking. The kids were eating lunch and I was standing right around the corner, not even 3 feet away when I realized nobody was making a sound, saying a word or anything.

I peeked around the corner and everyone was staring at the one little girl who was about 3 and I noticed she had tears running down her cheeks but coulding speak. I picked her up, did the heimlich on her, out popped the food, sat her down and everyone went about their business as though nothing happened.

I was a trained and certified EMT so I was able to stay calm (I always have been able to do that anyways in emergency crisis's).

I couldn't imagine having a child stop breathing on me like that though. Prayers to the family and the provider.
Laurel 10:30 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by sarahhardy2711:
A mom in a moms group I'm apart of just lost her 1 year old daughter! Long story short she went to her daycare fine and while she was there they said her heart stopped, they tried to revive her and I guess did so enough to get her to the hospital. Eventually she made it to AI Dupont Children's Hospital and was on machines. The next day they ran tests on her brain and doctors found her to be brain dead. The little girl has gone to heaven, but this made me think about how often this happens.
Has anyone ever had to do life saving measures while running your daycare?
That is so sad. I wonder why that happened.

Pre home daycare (I worked in a Montessori preschool), I had to Heimlich a 4 year old boy during lunch time. I wasn't in charge but a few others just kind of froze so I did it. That really works! The food just came shooting out. When we told mom later she said "Oh I forgot to tell you that he has swallowing issues." Really mom?

During interviews now I always ask "Does your child have any medical issues I should know about?"

Laurel
littlemissmuffet 11:53 AM 04-30-2013
The worst I have dealt with in a daycare setting is a 14 month old having a seizure. I was calm the entire time, but like lovemykidstoo, as soon as the child and paramedics left I had a little freakout.

Our 4 month old daughter choked last month - she threw up, it was coming out her nose as well and she froze up and stopped breathing. Hubby and I handled the situation perfectly calm and collected - but after she started breathing and moving again we just about lost our minds.

I think even though most people are in pure panic mode when an emergency arises their bodies and minds stay calm enough to get you through the situation until everything is stable enough for you to process everything and release the adrenaline.
MsLaura529 12:01 PM 04-30-2013
I haven't had it to me personally, but one of my DH's co-worker's daughters died while at daycare. She was 2 years old, it happened during naptime, very sad

I'm hoping I don't ever have to be in that situation (who would want to be?), but I think I would definitely be with you ladies who were calm and collected during the event, but once it's over, I would go and cry my eyes out in another room. Happened to me when I took DH to the hospital (food poisoning and a recent diagnoses of horrible ulcerative colitis don't mix), and once he was being taken care of by the nurses, I asked the one to watch our DD (who was eating cheerios in the stroller) and I went into the bathroom, and passed out - broke my glasses and my nose, hah.
youretooloud 12:06 PM 04-30-2013
Never! How awful! I can't even imagine that.

I did have a child who's doctor discovered a serious heart condition when he was almost two. I lived in fear every day that he was with me. There's nothing they can do about it, other than to try to avoid anything that would cause his heart to stop. (cold meds, steroids, strenuous activity, etc)

But, I was at a girlscout camp as a child, and we were hiking when one girl's heart stopped. She wasn't in my troop, but, another girl started CPR right there on the trail. She did not survive either though. I was in 4th grade, so the memory is very fuzzy.
lovemykidstoo 12:18 PM 04-30-2013
Just as a side note to those that have had kids choke on food. Be careful that they didn't aspirate any of the food. When I had it happen, I called the mom right away so she had the option of having an x-ray done. Aspirating food can be very serious.
littlemissmuffet 12:22 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Just as a side note to those that have had kids choke on food. Be careful that they didn't aspirate any of the food. When I had it happen, I called the mom right away so she had the option of having an x-ray done. Aspirating food can be very serious.
Awesome advice!
Oneluckymom 12:36 PM 04-30-2013
Also, the child who choked and has had CPR &/or heimlich still requires a hospital visit. I was told they need to be checked for swelling in the airway, aspiration , or internal injury due heimlich.
Unregistered 02:49 PM 04-30-2013
I'm a registered member but signed out because I feel I should share this story to help people but it's hard. I had a 4 month old daycare baby die of SIDS. She was taking her morning nap and I was sending the older kids off to school. I usually held her all morning but this morning I had decided to make a big breakfast for the kids. She was used to being rocked to sleep so she started crying and I made the decision to let her cry for a bit to see if she would self sooth. She stopped after a short time. As soon as they were gone I went to check her and she wasn't breathing. I started CPR and my neighbor heard my anguished screams so she came over and helped with the other children. I did CPR until the paramedics showed up but I guess I was in shock because I don't remember much of that time. It was hard for my neighbor because she had a child die of SIDS. The little girl was warm when I found her but cold by the time paramedics arrived. I just knew she wasn't going to come back from this. They had to treat my house like a crime scene and I had to close my daycare until they completed the autopsy and investigation which is standard practice where I'm from. Luckily the parents didn't blame me and stood by me the whole time, I even watched their oldest 2 for a couple more years until they moved. I think if they had blamed me i would have ended up in the loony bin, it would have been more than I could handle. I blame myself though even though I know I shouldn't. What if I hadn't put her down? Why did I let her cry? Of course I learned everything there is to know about SIDS and the child had none of the risk factors. She was on her back, nothing in the crib and wasn't exposed to second hand smoke. It's not uncommon for babies to have none of the risk factors, I was told its like a switch in their brain just shuts off. I stopped taking infants after that and when I had another child I bought an angel care monitor that had an alarm that would sound if the baby didn't move every few seconds. I did not stay cool, calm and collected. Even now as I go back tears well up in my eyes.
sharlan 03:01 PM 04-30-2013
Unregistered, {{HUGS}} for you.

I think that is the biggest fear of all daycare providers. I know it is mine and I didn't take infants for many years because of it.
SilverSabre25 03:53 PM 04-30-2013
Unreg, ((HUGS)) I'm tearing up reading and thinking about this. I am so, so sorry.
Miesele 04:11 PM 04-30-2013
Ohhhh, that is awful! Thankfully, I have never had to use my CPR skills on any of the children I have taught. This is very scary though!
sarahhardy2711 04:30 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
How horrible!
Was there an undetected heart condition?
I have never had to do CPR though am always current with my certifications.
Not that I'm aware of, or the mom has told us about. It was very sudden for her. I had this happen to a family member as well who was about 2 and died from a sudden heart condition or SIDS. It's scary to to see it happen to older kids.
You are all awesome, I'm sure it was terrifying after the fact, I hope I can handle it if God forbid I have to.
Laurel 06:31 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a registered member but signed out because I feel I should share this story to help people but it's hard. I had a 4 month old daycare baby die of SIDS. She was taking her morning nap and I was sending the older kids off to school. I usually held her all morning but this morning I had decided to make a big breakfast for the kids. She was used to being rocked to sleep so she started crying and I made the decision to let her cry for a bit to see if she would self sooth. She stopped after a short time. As soon as they were gone I went to check her and she wasn't breathing. I started CPR and my neighbor heard my anguished screams so she came over and helped with the other children. I did CPR until the paramedics showed up but I guess I was in shock because I don't remember much of that time. It was hard for my neighbor because she had a child die of SIDS. The little girl was warm when I found her but cold by the time paramedics arrived. I just knew she wasn't going to come back from this. They had to treat my house like a crime scene and I had to close my daycare until they completed the autopsy and investigation which is standard practice where I'm from. Luckily the parents didn't blame me and stood by me the whole time, I even watched their oldest 2 for a couple more years until they moved. I think if they had blamed me i would have ended up in the loony bin, it would have been more than I could handle. I blame myself though even though I know I shouldn't. What if I hadn't put her down? Why did I let her cry? Of course I learned everything there is to know about SIDS and the child had none of the risk factors. She was on her back, nothing in the crib and wasn't exposed to second hand smoke. It's not uncommon for babies to have none of the risk factors, I was told its like a switch in their brain just shuts off. I stopped taking infants after that and when I had another child I bought an angel care monitor that had an alarm that would sound if the baby didn't move every few seconds. I did not stay cool, calm and collected. Even now as I go back tears well up in my eyes.
I am so sorry that happened to you. It also happened to my provider friend. It was the baby's first day in her care and the grandmother was scheduled to arrive to pick the baby up just 15 minutes after it happened. They treated her house like a crime scene too but found nothing, of course. It just happens.

Thanks for sharing.

Laurel
Reply Up