Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Excuse for Being Late
Scribbles 08:57 AM 08-03-2014
What is the best excuse you've been told for a parent being late?

I had a parent tell me once that she had to go #2 at work all day but had a fear of using her work bathroom for "that kind" of business so she ended up going home before coming to get her child so she could do her business in her own bathroom but ended up taking longer than she thought so that is why she was 30 minutes late in picking up her child.

I have a late fee of $15 per 30 minutes so her "bathroom business" ended up costing her $15.

What is the best excuse (or worst) you've been told for why a parent was late?
Rachel 09:06 AM 08-03-2014
I fell asleep. Love that one. Set an alarm darling!

The only really legit one I ever got was from a parent who is always here early. He was on the bus and the bus broke down (he aimed to get here 30 minutes to an hour before pickup, plenty of time). He had called half the neighborhood looking for someone to pick up his daughter, and only then called me and explained he was stuck (still 30 minutes before I closed). In the end he got to me about 5 minutes late and I didn't charge anything. Oh if I could have all parents like that...
hope 10:03 AM 08-03-2014
Dcm text me that she was running late. She was always running late but I didn't enforce late fees bc when we made her hours at enrollment I gave her extra time in case of traffic....way more than she needed. So this one day when she came late I asked what kept her and she said she had something difficult to put in the oven so she stopped home first bc she had a hard time controlling her child while making dinner. I eventually termed her for other reasons.

I had one dcm start to drop of way early bc she said she couldn't shower and get ready for work with her child around. She didn't last long either. I have since smarted up a bit.
nannyde 10:33 AM 08-03-2014
Had to go home and let the dogs out. Had to clean up the dog crap before getting the kids because he knew "I" wouldn't want them walking around in crap.

Hugh? Your dogs poop has something to do with ME?
GKJNIGMN 10:41 AM 08-03-2014
"I might be a little late because I need to go pickup my paycheck"

Her pickup time was 2:30 in the afternoon and she worked overnight so she was paying for sleeping hours. Last I checked nothing closes by 2:30PM so she could have picked up her child and then got her check or gotten up half an hour early and picked it up. Instead, her not having to drag one of her kids with made that paycheck cost her $25.

She was terminated 2 months ago.
DaveA 12:35 PM 08-03-2014
"Forgot whose weekend it was". That one was before cellphones were common & it took over an hour after close before we got ahold of an emergency contact.
Sunchimes 02:36 PM 08-03-2014
A few years ago, I was about 6 months into the work and had not found the forum or gotten smart, so I had no handbook or contract. Mom and Dad had just bought a new house and were trying to get the inside painted before moving in. They asked me to keep dcg regular hours while they painted. Regular hours ended at 3:30. I was trying to be helpful, they were so cute and excited about their new house, and I could remember (barely) that feeling. So, 5:00 came around and I called DCM. She said that they were almost finished and would be there in a little while. Again, not too concerned because I had a child until 7 that night. It's no harder to give dinner to 2 instead of one. 7 came and went with no pick up, so I called again. Oh, we are cleaning up, we'll be right over. By then, I was rather forceful because I had had her baby 12 hours by that point. 8:30 they came after their baby. I was livid, but had no recourse without a handbook. And here's the kicker. She never said thank you.

The second time she was off work and went to a movie with hubby. (This was a pay-per-day deal, so I really needed the money.) Pick up time came and went, so I called. Ok, we are on our way. The nearest movie is 40 miles away. By now, I had a contract and I made her pay for every minute she was late. That was over 2 years ago, and she has never been late again! Well, once she had a flat, but she called me, so I didn't charge her.
e.j. 03:38 PM 08-03-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
I had a parent tell me once that she had to go #2 at work all day but had a fear of using her work bathroom for "that kind" of business so she ended up going home before coming to get her child so she could do her business in her own bathroom but ended up taking longer than she thought so that is why she was 30 minutes late in picking up her child.
Wow! TMI. I can't imagine sharing tht info with my former day care providers! lol

I've heard a lot of lame excuses. "I fell asleep" seems to be a popular one. I've had 2 dcms give me that excuse at least 2 or 3 times each. I'm with Rachel....Set your alarm!! "I got tied up at the library; the check out line was so long." (Small town library. I doubt there are ever more than 3 or 3 other patrons in there at the same time.) "Chicken is on sale at the supermarket and I stopped after work to get some so I wouldn't have to drag the kids with me." "I didn't know it was going to snow today!" (After several days of storm warnings on the news and at that point, it had been snowing heavily for hours.) "It was a nice day for a walk and I started out a little later than I anticipated." (Next time, if you're running late, you may want to take the car!) My favorite, though, was, "I got so busy I forgot all about her!"
Aussiedaycare 10:28 PM 08-03-2014
My worst - "I forgot she was in care, I thought she was with family and they don't care what time I pick up".

She finally came 2 hours and 15 minutes late. I had rung her at work, home and on her mobile. I had rung her boss and emailed both her and her boss and still couldn't get a hold of her. I started to to ring her emergency contacts, grandparents were away in England (I am in Australia) and her sister was 3 and a half hours away at the beach.

She came to the door crying and carrying on saying how sorry she was - I termed on the spot and told her she owed me $180 in late fees and $50 in inconvenience fees - she paid the next day when she turned up to drop off her child thinking I had only "said those things because I was cross". I took the money and shut the door.

The being late because you had to do #2 is an interesting one
daycare 11:44 PM 08-03-2014
lets see, I have a few

1. I got pulled over and got a speeding ticket, please cut me some slack..I have had this one 2x from 2 different families

2. I thought it was dad's weekend

3. I thought mom picked up, dad thought dad was picking up, they are married??? This one has happened 3x to the same family

4. Top favorite, I went to walmart to get some 5-hour energy because I was so tired and I fell asleep in my car. I didn't wake up until you called me.

5. I thought you closed at 7...... Um yeah NO. This was a drop in that I took years ago and that was the last time they came back.
CedarCreek 06:43 AM 08-04-2014
Both parents forgot about DCB.

I called Mom who was in a meeting (so what really happened is she forgot to tell Dad to pick up)

I called Dad numerous times and left voicemails. I ended up taking DCB with me to Target to run my errands, where Dad eventually met me.
sugar buzz 07:04 AM 08-04-2014
DCD fainted, after returning home from having a vasectomy. 30 minutes late. Fee and small talk waived.
Naptime yet? 09:53 AM 08-04-2014
Got stuck at the train crossing. I know the way DCM comes home from work & there is no train crossing .
MarinaVanessa 10:23 AM 08-04-2014
"It's not my fault I'm late. You wanted to get paid today right?"

DCM had to stop at the bank to get money after work to pay me. I accept payment through childcarepay.com, paypal, person-to-person transfers through a bank app, checks and take credit card payments through a phone card-reader . Not a reason to pay late, I could have taken her payment here at home.
Play Care 11:01 AM 08-04-2014
The ONE time I had a parent be very late was because they had a doctors appointment that ran late - which would have been fine EXCEPT the appointment was for 4:30 when I close at 4:45. There was no way they were planning on making my closing time that day.
Michelle 03:33 PM 08-04-2014
I had a mom get arrested ont the way to pick up kids
dad called me and was shaking and his voice was quivering, so I offered for the kids to spend the night.
they gave me $100 next morning
kinda awesome and I thought for that day , kids would have been better with me... they never even knew what happened
just lovin them through it
mountainside13 04:15 PM 08-04-2014
I have never had a parent pick up late and give the excuse they over slept...until today! Dad was 37 minutes late, he usually picks up at 4:45 but contracted until 5pm. So technically "only" 22 minutes late. He picked up at 5:22 and I had an appointment at 5:30! Which I missed.

I guess that excuse gets used a lot, today was my first! My worst excuse was someone died. I forgave and waived the late fee. A year later the same person that "died" picked up the child because the parents were unable too.

I've had a lot if other excuses but I think that is my worst.
hope 04:39 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I had a mom get arrested ont the way to pick up kids
dad called me and was shaking and his voice was quivering, so I offered for the kids to spend the night.
they gave me $100 next morning
kinda awesome and I thought for that day , kids would have been better with me... they never even knew what happened
just lovin them through it
What was she arrested for?
Kabob 05:18 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
DCD fainted, after returning home from having a vasectomy. 30 minutes late. Fee and small talk waived.
Ouch.

My best one is from one I termed: "I had to stop at a restaurant on my way here. But it was for a good reason! They are running a charity special where they donate $1 for every $20 you spend! Don't be mad - I got you chips!" The chips are free with every meal btw....
AmyKidsCo 07:14 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
3. I thought mom picked up, dad thought dad was picking up, they are married...
This one a couple of times. It's my son and daughter in law so I don't mind too much - once all the other kids are gone it's "grandma time" which means I go online or read my book or whatever.

Ouch! That was nice of you - I'd have done the same.
DaveA 05:31 AM 08-05-2014
OUCH!! Definitely waiving that fee.

I forgot "Trying to conceive-we took longer than planned" At least I got another DC enrollment out of that late pickup.
Rockgirl 05:43 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:

I forgot "Trying to conceive-we took longer than planned" At least I got another DC enrollment out of that late pickup.
For the win!
nannyde 05:45 AM 08-05-2014

Winner winner chicken dinner
dave4him 06:54 AM 08-05-2014
"I forgot where she was today" ----

Lets hope when she is pushing you around the nursing home someday she doesn't return the favor.....
sugar buzz 07:44 AM 08-05-2014

Geez...I thought that my post had the awkward visualization--requiring bleach and Q-tips to the brain....
sharlan 08:01 AM 08-05-2014
Mom was two hours late when she knew we had dinner reservations for my dd's bd.

"I needed some alone time so I went to the mall to walk around for awhile. My other babysitter wouldn't have minded."

She was termed two weeks later.
Kabob 08:59 AM 08-05-2014

Guess that new income makes up for it? But still...TMI!
mia 09:06 AM 08-05-2014
Ive had

I went and got my hair and nails done, what do you think looks nice right
I went to a town garage sale, you should go sometime, the whole town gets into it, and they have lots of things for your daycare.
I had to pick up a few things for dinner then I had a shower hope you done mind

errrr the excuses ......
LadyK8 09:48 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I have never had a parent pick up late and give the excuse they over slept...until today! Dad was 37 minutes late, he usually picks up at 4:45 but contracted until 5pm. So technically "only" 22 minutes late. He picked up at 5:22 and I had an appointment at 5:30! Which I missed.

I guess that excuse gets used a lot, today was my first! My worst excuse was someone died. I forgave and waived the late fee. A year later the same person that "died" picked up the child because the parents were unable too.

I've had a lot if other excuses but I think that is my worst.

NightOwl 10:38 AM 08-05-2014
So far, the best reason I've heard is my own. Lol. And it's the truth. My son was at a friend's house late Saturday night. When I left to go get him, there was a skunk in my driveway behind my truck. We had a good old fashioned stand off! The skunk won. What could I do?? I just had to wait him out. It took about 20 minutes for him to move on. I text my friend to explain and she was like, uh huh... I know what you're reeeeeaaalllly doing!
Michelle 07:22 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
What was she arrested for?
I never found out
she just said she got pulled over and had a warrant
this was about 18 years ago, I wasn't even licensed yet
Michelle 07:23 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
So far, the best reason I've heard is my own. Lol. And it's the truth. My son was at a friend's house late Saturday night. When I left to go get him, there was a skunk in my driveway behind my truck. We had a good old fashioned stand off! The skunk won. What could I do?? I just had to wait him out. It took about 20 minutes for him to move on. I text my friend to explain and she was like, uh huh... I know what you're reeeeeaaalllly doing!
Oh boy!
I would have let that skunk win too!
MOM OF 4 03:44 PM 08-09-2014
I had a DCP who told me she'd pick up early (like noon, so about 1 hour early). Noon came and went, then 12:30 I get a text "Oh I forgot, I had to go to the car dealer and grab something, so I'm on my way now!" So I texted "OK"

1, 2, 2:30 came and went and on each hour (and 1/2 hour after 2pm) I texted "What's going on are you ok?" NO ANSWER

I got REALLY worried!

Just as I'm getting ready to call emergency contacts at 3:15, she walks in...never mentions the texts, so I ask her about them. She said "Oh, yeah I received them, but I was trying to get this loan for my car"

I said "You told me you were picking up at noon and then said you were on your way at 12:30 and it is 3:15! The late fee is $15"

She blew up at me and terminated. She owed me the late fee, and was supposed to pay my notice period. When I called her out on it, she said "Well I didn't like the baby's care" I said "Well, I don't like when people lie, so you'll pay or we'll go to court and I'll win" She paid me and was semi-cordial after if we'd run into one another. Sadly, she died of cancer 2 years ago and the little boy is being raised by only dad.

But seriously, I won't forget that excuse...I mean buying a frigging car and not telling me that you might be gone for HOURS?! That was ridiculous! And honestly , the kid was in a stroller and usually quiet, and she couldn't take him? Or at least ASK me if it was ok since she'd told me she was coming early in the first place?

Another one was late because she forgot her child was at daycare. Sadly, she didn't even care for him and never planned on kids, but she had him and just seemed to let everyone know how unwanted he was. He was my little boy who stood in a middle of a room clutching a blanket for hours, crying, and would not warm up to anyone and we tried EVERYTHING. He also smelled really bad because she'd refuse to bathe him or change him (SO, I did the bathing) and she never brought coats, shoes,etc. I let him have our supply, until mom just stopped bringing our stuff back. She ended up being reported to CPS, and left and was NOT happy with me. IDK what happened to that little guy.

And one mom said she had to work late and was threatened to lose her job if she didn't stay for a 4 hour meeting (I already had the kid 12 hours, and she allegedly worked at Arby's)...Meanwhile, that cold fresh gallon of milk and a few bags of groceries and a couple bags from OTHER stores (so she went shopping all day?!) fell out of her car and I picked it up for her...she KNEW she was caught...I tried to enforce late fee, but her husband went berserk and they never came back and paid. They TRIED to bounce the check for the previous week, too but I reported it to law enforcement and got my $$
Reply Up