Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yearly Inspections
PitterPatter 05:16 AM 06-02-2011
When/if the state or your licensor comes to inspect do they look through your whole house? Do they look in YOUR bedroom? What about closets and things?

Food program inspection do they look in your fridge or your cupboards?

Just curious as to what the norm is.
MN Day Mom 05:56 AM 06-02-2011
I get inspected every two years... I have a space separated from my families space, so the brunt of the inspection happens in the daycare space as I have the family space inaccessible to the daycare. She will do a walk through of my main floor, won't open drawers or anything, just looking for major hazards... she never goes to my 2nd floor where our bedrooms and my kids play/rec room is.

The food program... she comes in does her paper work, verifies kids and my license, looks around my kitchen area to see if it is sanitary.... never opened my fridge or a cabinet.

All pretty painless if you stay within the rules
littlemommy 06:00 AM 06-02-2011
My licensing inspection lady just walks through and asks me basic questions like where they sleep, if I have my first aid kid, if chemicals are locked up...Never walks outside of my daycare area. She knows I have one kid sleep upstairs in our bedroom but has never looked in there.

My food program lady sits down and does paperwork, asks me what I'm feeding for the day, and leaves. Doesn't look at anything, really.
Meeko 06:20 AM 06-02-2011
Utah regs are:

All areas of the home must be accessible to the licensor.

However if the area is not used for day care and is behind a door with a lock, childproof handle cover, or behind a baby gate...then the licensor can only peek in to look for hidden children (sadly that happens) and obvious danger things. She cannot go through drawers, closets etc...just peek in.

Areas that are used for day care are inspected thoroughly. All cupboards, drawers etc.
MyAngels 06:49 AM 06-02-2011
I've had my inspections run the gamut over the years. I once had a licensing visit last an entire day. I think he would have stayed for dinner if I hadn't asked him to finish up and leave. He looked in every cupboard, every drawer, even going so far as to remove things so he could make sure he saw everything. He inspected all of the mechanicals in my house - I'm still not sure why. He inspected every area of the house, including my unfinished basement, which has never been used for daycare.

I've also had the cursory inspections, just a few quick verification questions, fill out the forms, and leave type.

My food person just looks over paperwork, verifies who is here, has me sign and leaves. Even if it's supposed to be a meal observation, I've never had anyone actually look at what I'm serving.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 06-02-2011
Here they use a fine toothed comb.

They visually check bedrooms, garages and closets because some providers warehouse kids (they will peek in unlocked storage sheds as well).

They will measure your play space and deduct any area covered by furniture, toy boxes or storage cabinets. They may limit the number of children you can keep if you have too much furniture.

They check the refrigerators for temperatures and to see that you have whole milk and 100% juice. Occasionally they will ask how you prepare certain foods like mac-n-cheese or ramen noodles since it is not allowed unless it is "homemade" (meat, cheese, or milk added) for nutritional reasons. They check that all food is stored on shelving off the floor.

They check your cups, lids, plates and silverware to ensure it is not chipped, sanitized correctly between uses, age appropriate and labeled for each individual child as required. They push using disposable.

They check your diapering area for sanitation, safety and non-porous surface. They will watch you do a round of changes to ensure proper procedure and provider/child hand washing.

They check the main property where families enter/exit for hazards like tree stumps, exposed wiring/air conditioning units, ant hills, uneven areas and other perceived issues outside.

They check every drawer in your bathroom if kids are EVER (bathing after an accident) in there, even if you do not have any potty training kids at the time. No razors, soaps, shampoos, baby lotions/oils, etc. are allowed within reach unless locked in a cabinet. Even kids tear free hand soap has to be given to the child, supervised and stored out of reach. They check water temperature, must be warm/not hot.

They check nap mats for storage, correct daily disinfection procedure and look to be sure they are nonporous (not ripped). They check linen storage and laundering. I keep 8 mats JIC one rips or someone has an accident during the day (needs replacing) and have had my DCP questioned since I can only have 6 kids.

They check the playground for rusted bolts, exposed screws, wood splinters, tree roots, chipped plastic that could pinch or catch clothing, strings/ropes of any kid, etc. They will measure the depth of your mulch, height of play equipment and of your fence.

They ask about firearms and if you have them they will want to see each weapon individually to see the safety lock in place (very time consuming). They also want the ammunition stored away from the weapon, locked.

I could probably go on....but I think you get the idea.
sharlan 08:27 AM 06-02-2011
My last inspection - opened every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen. Checked the fridge and pantry to verify food. Checked the kids' bathroom, opened the medicine cabinet and under sink cabinet. She went upstairs and took a quick peek into all the bedrooms and bathrooms, but didn't open anything as the upstairs is off limits. Outside, she took a quick peek into the garage and locked shed. She also quickly checked out all the play equipment in the backyard. I was surprised, but she really didn't check out the playroom.

About 1/2 of her time was spent going over all of my paperwork and verifying who was here and who wasn't.

I got caught with toothpaste in the bathroom and a battery in a kitchen drawer.
daycare 09:47 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My last inspection - opened every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen. Checked the fridge and pantry to verify food. Checked the kids' bathroom, opened the medicine cabinet and under sink cabinet. She went upstairs and took a quick peek into all the bedrooms and bathrooms, but didn't open anything as the upstairs is off limits. Outside, she took a quick peek into the garage and locked shed. She also quickly checked out all the play equipment in the backyard. I was surprised, but she really didn't check out the playroom.

About 1/2 of her time was spent going over all of my paperwork and verifying who was here and who wasn't.

I got caught with toothpaste in the bathroom and a battery in a kitchen drawer.
I have toothpaste on the counter that the kids use to brush their teeth, I am in CA so this is not allowed?

I also have tons of batteries in my kitchen drawer and the org. licensor never said no batteries in the drawer. I dont have locks on the kitched cabinets, but I have baby locks (which the kids can still open) in the bathroom.
Cat Herder 10:55 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have toothpaste on the counter that the kids use to brush their teeth, I am in CA so this is not allowed?

I also have tons of batteries in my kitchen drawer and the org. licensor never said no batteries in the drawer. I dont have locks on the kitched cabinets, but I have baby locks (which the kids can still open) in the bathroom.
These seem to be "hot button" issues this year nationwide. Have you been inspected in the last 6 months? If not, be prepared.

Next year it will be something else....
daycare 11:00 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
These seem to be "hot button" issues this year nationwide. Have you been inspected in the last 6 months? If not, be prepared.

Next year it will be something else....
I have not had an inspection in over a year... In CA its a random inspection, kind of like a lottery type inspection. They choose DC liC # at random using a computer system, you may get chosen, you may not.

Unless a parent or other person calls to complain, they don't come out.
mac60 06:27 AM 06-03-2011
And this is why I will never do this business and have to be licensed. Coming into my private bedroom. Rediculous, absolutely none of their business. Coming into my families bedrooms, again none of their business. Going thru my personal drawer space, none of their business. Because I am a childcare provider does not give a parent/or licensing the right to invade my personal things and space.
sharlan 06:44 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
And this is why I will never do this business and have to be licensed. Coming into my private bedroom. Rediculous, absolutely none of their business. Coming into my families bedrooms, again none of their business. Going thru my personal drawer space, none of their business. Because I am a childcare provider does not give a parent/or licensing the right to invade my personal things and space.
It is their business what is accessible to the kids.

If the rooms are kept off limits and access is denied by either locks or kiddie gates, they will just take a quick peek in. They will not go through your personal drawers if the kids aren't in there. Any room that is available to the kids (bathrooms, kitchens, etc) is fair game.
sharlan 06:50 AM 06-03-2011

Anything that says to "keep out of reach of children" cannot be accessible to them. That includes toothpaste, some hand soaps, lotions, etc.

I have the fridge "locks" on my downstairs shower so the kids can't get into it. I have the magnetic locks on the undersink cabinets and most of my kitchen cabinets. I also have a magnetic lock on my medicine cabinet in the upper kitchen cabinets.

In all honesty, it all depends on the person who comes to do the inspection and what their pet peeve is. (just my opinion)
daycare 06:55 AM 06-03-2011
I called licensing yesterday to ask some questions about what I can and can't have in my bathroom or kitchen drawers. She told me that anything that can fit through a toilet paper tube needs to be out of reach. So I had to take a ton of stuff out of my kitchen drawers and bathroom drawers too.
I don't understand why can't I have hair clips in my bathroom drawer, but children can wear them to DC. ( I personally have ban all hair clips and such)
There is a lot if grey area in the LIC rules.
daycare 06:57 AM 06-03-2011
No hand soap?
So where do you put it?
Most of my kids use the bathroom by themselves and was their hands with soap and water when done.
Ugh how am I this confused
Cat Herder 07:34 AM 06-03-2011
I have not had an inspection in over a year... In CA its a random inspection, kind of like a lottery type inspection. They choose DC liC # at random using a computer system, you may get chosen, you may not.

Unless a parent or other person calls to complain, they don't come out.
That must be nice

Here everyone gets hit, unannounced, a required minimum of every 6 months.

If you are on the food program it is almost monthly.
sharlan 07:42 AM 06-03-2011
No hand soap?
So where do you put it?
Most of my kids use the bathroom by themselves and was their hands with soap and water when done.
Ugh how am I this confused
Read the label on the hand soap. I believe that it's Dial brand that doesn't say to keep out of reach of children. I have my kids' toothpaste in the kitchen drawer with a lock on it.

The first time I got caught for the toothpaste, the inspector told me that I had to keep it in the garage. Okay, who's going to go out to the garage every morning to brush their teeth. I could keep the dishsoap on the counter behind the sink, but couldn't keep it under the sink.
PitterPatter 07:42 AM 06-03-2011
So many differences, this is why I had to ask. My inspector comes and does paperwork 1st. He has a check list and goes down it as he goes down he walks around and find what he needs to check off. My bedroom is totally off limits to children. The door stays shut and locked during DC hours so I feel they have no right wanting access to MY room but he has checked it. My childs room is not for daycare either but the door is open because he uses it through the day. He also has small toys, MANY which will fit through a TP roll so what would they expect there? My son is not giving up his toys and u can only put so many things in the closet u know. I haven't been told the TP roll rule so I won't open that can of worms. My inspector hasn't said anything about my sons toys tho just that he has so many so I'm good so far.

As for the cabintes and drawers downstairs, they all have locks on them except for the pots and pans cabinet and the hand towel drawer and I don't think a kid can swallow those . So I feel what is the sense in having a lock on it if u cant have certain things in it anyway. Some of these rules are just getting too strict. Where are we supposed to put the things like batteries and toothpaste? And hand soap? really? Yeah I can see myself running to the bathroom every time a kid has to go so I can get the handsoap down from a locked cabinet. Oh wait that makes me leave other children unattended so I guess we will all have to go get the handsoap.

Here we have to have a lid on our garbage. If u can't have the simple things out like toothpaste which goes in the mouth sitting out then I'm surprised there shouldn't be a lock on the garbage can! Take a look in there 1 day and see the many hazards! (really hoping I dont give a licsnsor an idea)

I agree DC homes should be inspected but to a point. Some of it I think is just snoopy people. My inspector does go through my whole house (except the attic of course he only went there once in the beginning) He checks my hot water tank in the basement too. He asks to see all my training certificates/records even tho most of them get Fwd to him by the CCRR. All I know is when the day comes the inspector wants to look in my bedroom drawers that will be the day I quit the business. We deserve to our right to privacy too.
sharlan 07:43 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
That must be nice

Here everyone gets hit, unannounced, a required minimum of every 6 months.

If you are on the food program it is almost monthly.
As daycare said, we are randomly inspected. But, I've always had them call in advance to see if I am still doing daycare. That pretty much lets me know that an inspector will be showing up in the next day or so.
daycare 07:49 AM 06-03-2011
As daycare said, we are randomly inspected. But, I've always had them call in advance to see if I am still doing daycare. That pretty much lets me know that an inspector will be showing up in the next day or so.
lol....thats funny. I have yet to have another inspection after getting licensed years ago. The lady that I had was super mellow and easy going. Now I wish I would have had hilter so that when I do get the hilter inspection I wont fail.

When I called to talk to licensing, the lady on the phone was really crazy rude. Knowing my luck, this will be the lady that will come out to do my inspection when I have one.
sharlan 07:51 AM 06-03-2011
We have to have a lid on the kitchen trash, but no lock, yet. Please don't give them any ideas. I am really surprised that we can have a trash can in the kitchen.

During inpection 6 yrs ago, I didn't have to have my staircase blocked because I had kiddie gates blocking the living room and dining room, preventing access to the stairs and front door. When I got my license last year, I couldn't get my license until I emailed them proof that I had a kiddie gate across the staircase. The inspector felt that because the kids would walk passed it from the front door to the family room, it was accessible to them.
PitterPatter 08:06 AM 06-03-2011
We have to have a lid on the kitchen trash, but no lock, yet. Please don't give them any ideas. I am really surprised that we can have a trash can in the kitchen.

During inpection 6 yrs ago, I didn't have to have my staircase blocked because I had kiddie gates blocking the living room and dining room, preventing access to the stairs and front door. When I got my license last year, I couldn't get my license until I emailed them proof that I had a kiddie gate across the staircase. The inspector felt that because the kids would walk passed it from the front door to the family room, it was accessible to them.
I have thet problem too. Sad but true. I have a 3yr old child that would take off up the stairs EVERY day when he leaves to make me chase him. He would go into my kids room and get into stuff laughing because he knew it wasn't allowed. He ONLY did this at pick up. I had to start leaving the gate there until every last kid had gone even though the rooms we use are gated as well. I have 5 gates up in this house!! It sucks because my kid can't get over the gate on the stairs without tripping so it's causing a problem here. Plus it's a PITA when we are all making bathroom trips UP stairs. Gate off, gate on , gate off , gate on. UGH!
daycare 08:11 AM 06-03-2011
ugh I feel your pain..... I have to block off all the bedroom becuase I dont have door locks. This means that my son cant get into his bedroom, which makes for a crazy day.

The highs and lows of DC...

I am ok right now with all the crazy rules.....The day taht they tell me I cant wear my sweatshirts and sweat pants is when I quit.....I dont care if they look in my drawers, I dont have anything to hide.
mac60 09:00 AM 06-03-2011
It is their business what is accessible to the kids.

If the rooms are kept off limits and access is denied by either locks or kiddie gates, they will just take a quick peek in. They will not go through your personal drawers if the kids aren't in there. Any room that is available to the kids (bathrooms, kitchens, etc) is fair game.
But my kids bedrooms and my bedroom is not fair game. This is our personal space. If the rooms are off limits...Nobody has a right to invade personal space.
daycare 09:06 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
But my kids bedrooms and my bedroom is not fair game. This is our personal space. If the rooms are off limits...Nobody has a right to invade personal space.
I agree with what you are saying and i did ask the LIC lady that came out during my inspection and she told me a story.

She told me that they didnt used to go into the areas of the house taht were off limits to the DCK, until one time they were doing an inspection and they could smell something funny in the house. Turned out that the DCP had a meth lab in her bathroom. The LIC lady said that the DC area was super clean, very nice looking house and DCP. If they didnt peek in the DCP bathroom, they would have never found it.

So, this is why they will peek into the off limits areas in your house...
mac60 10:23 AM 06-03-2011
Still does not give them the right in my opinion. When a parent goes into a center to drop off their child, we don't get the liberty of going thru the kitchen, office, or break room, or storage room. Working out of our home, there is a fine line to "public space" and "private space", and it is apparant the governing agencies have very much crossed the line when it comes to this.
sharlan 12:50 PM 06-03-2011
They will not go into your bedroom and open your nightstand drawer UNLESS they have reason to believe that children use that room.

Our guy was telling us that a provider that was very insistant that her bedroom was off limits until he opened the door and found a 2 yo taking a nap on her bed. She was mortified when he opened a nightstand drawer and found "toys". She was even more upset when he opened a cabinet in the adjoining bathroom and found more adult goodies.

On my inspections, they did nothing more than stand at the doorway and look in.
sharlan 12:50 PM 06-03-2011
It's like most of us say, our home=our rules. Their license=their rules.
Gurdy 01:08 PM 06-03-2011
My licensor does not even open doors to areas that our inaccessible to children, but she does ensure that those areas are inaccessible.

I just have to say I can not believe how infrequently some states inspect. I have four inspections per year. Two from dhss (every six months) plus the yearly Health Department and the Fire Marshall inspections. They are all very thorough. They go through all cabinets, closets, drawers etc.
Michelle 01:37 PM 06-03-2011
yep and where i live it's every 3 years give or take a few months
PitterPatter 03:33 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
yep and where i live it's every 3 years give or take a few months
Wow that is so nice! I guess if they only snooped once every 3 yrs I wouldn't mind. Mine is like clockwork every year!
LittleD 08:44 AM 06-04-2011
I agree with what you are saying and i did ask the LIC lady that came out during my inspection and she told me a story.

She told me that they didnt used to go into the areas of the house taht were off limits to the DCK, until one time they were doing an inspection and they could smell something funny in the house. Turned out that the DCP had a meth lab in her bathroom. The LIC lady said that the DC area was super clean, very nice looking house and DCP. If they didnt peek in the DCP bathroom, they would have never found it.

So, this is why they will peek into the off limits areas in your house...
WOW! I can see how that would make them want to check everywhere. But if you're like me, and do 3/4 loads of laundry a day, but can't get fold it until after hours, I dump it all on my bed! LOL, I'd be mortified to have them go in there and see all my clothes in a heap on my bed! With my luck, my bright pink thongs will be sitting right on top of the pile
Tags:inspection
Reply Up