Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Help With What to Say...
Naptime yet? 05:34 AM 07-18-2014
One of my dcf is going on vacation next week. I told them payment for that week was due today. DCM comes in this am & tells me they will drop the check off tomorrow (Sat.) before they leave for vacation.

Now the chances of this happening are slim to none, I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm wrong (last year I had given them 5 free days, but not this year, I can't afford it, so I think they might want to play games).

So what do I say at pick up tonight? If they don't drop off the check tomorrow, what are the consequences? I mean, I know I'll have to wait until they return to be paid, which I feel is disrespectful to me, but I'm really bad at trying to articulate my thoughts.

Sorry about this, it's really just speculation, but I want to be prepared JUST IN CASE. Thanks!
nannyde 05:37 AM 07-18-2014
When was payday? Was she supposed to bring today?
NoMoreJuice! 05:39 AM 07-18-2014
Do you have a late fee in your contract? I would tell them that if they chose to make a payment after today, you would be enforcing the late fee. Mine is $10 a day.

You can tell them "That's fine if you want to bring it Saturday morning, but please remember to add $10 for the daily late fee."

You'd be surprised how much $10 can motivate people!
Blackcat31 05:39 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When was payday? Was she supposed to bring today?
If it is today, I'd tell them there is a late fee if they bring it tomorrow.

I'd require it today to be honest. There is NO reason you have to conduct business (even for a minute) on a day you are not open for business.
Blackcat31 05:41 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
You'd be surprised how much $10 can motivate people!

I have a $10 PER CALENDAR day late fee.

Haven't had a late payment in over 3 years and haven't had to remind a single family of their payment date either.
Unregistered 05:44 AM 07-18-2014
Mine is the no pay, no stay rule, with $10 late fee for each day late. Plus 5 days of no pay = immediate termination.
Naptime yet? 05:45 AM 07-18-2014
Payday is actually Monday. I told dcd that I wouldn't deposit the check until then because he was worried the check might not clear.

Maybe they thought I'd deposit the check sooner?

This is where I've screwed up. I've never charged this family ANY fees, late payment or late pick up. I've actually been waiting for dcm to argue with me about taking away the free days & my response was going to be about never charging any fees, which is STUPID on my part (I've never charged any other family, either, but they've all been good). I don't think they're taking advantage of me, but I could see where they might start (this is my dcm who has only apologized twice for being late to pick up & has never said "thank you" to me for anything).

Sorry, I digressed. I guess since my payday is Monday & they're not here, I can't/shouldn't say anything? Am I being passive-aggressive?

I guess a part of me is afraid they'll "forget" to pay me for their vacation week, or will give me the "we have no money, we spent it all on vacation" spiel. Then I would know what to say, but I'd rather not go there.
Second Home 05:49 AM 07-18-2014
Maybe remind them that if they do not stop by with the $$ on Sat then late fees begin on Monday .

Are late fees written in your contract ? Whether you have charged late fees in the past or not you can charge if they are late .
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
Payday is actually Monday. I told dcd that I wouldn't deposit the check until then because he was worried the check might not clear.

Maybe they thought I'd deposit the check sooner?

This is where I've screwed up. I've never charged this family ANY fees, late payment or late pick up. I've actually been waiting for dcm to argue with me about taking away the free days & my response was going to be about never charging any fees, which is STUPID on my part (I've never charged any other family, either, but they've all been good). I don't think they're taking advantage of me, but I could see where they might start (this is my dcm who has only apologized twice for being late to pick up & has never said "thank you" to me for anything).

Sorry, I digressed. I guess since my payday is Monday & they're not here, I can't/shouldn't say anything? Am I being passive-aggressive?
"DCM/DCD, I just want to remind you that payday IS Monday and I know you said you are dropping off a check tomorrow but I also wanted you to be aware that if your invoice isn't paid by Monday there will be an automatic late fee added of $10 per day and since you will be gone for a whole week, I wanted to make sure you knew that ahead of time so you don't come home to a HUGE bill and no services, know what I mean?"

That way, you are reminding them UP FRONT.

If possible I would change or update your contract to state that payment for anyone NOT in attendance for Monday must be made on Fridays (and add that you won't cash/deposit checks though until the regular pay date).
Naptime yet? 06:00 AM 07-18-2014
I will add that about the "vacation payment", I like that.

Payment is due Monday, my late fee is a one-time fee of $10, but if payment isn't received by Tuesday evening, then care is suspended until fees/tuition is received. I need to change that, too.

I will use the huge bill angle, I actually gave them the option of spreading out the payments over two weeks, but they chose not to do that.

They are going on vacation again in August, this will be fun
coolconfidentme 06:15 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Haven't had a late payment in over 3 years and haven't had to remind a single family of their payment date either.
I need to change to this. I have $10 per week & it seems parents are ok with that. I sure am not.
LysesKids 08:18 AM 07-18-2014
I get paid Fridays in advance because otherwise I can't do the grocery run ( I actually could with my credit card, but won't lol). I have in policies that I have a No pay, No stay rule... when fees aren't paid by 6pm on Friday, your contract automatically is changed to Drop-in status. To continue care they have to pay drop-in rates. Never had a family not pay ontime since I did that and it's been 5 years
daycarediva 09:46 AM 07-18-2014
I would honestly change my contracts to payments due Friday. Mine are due Friday for the following week, AND my late fee is a flat $50. Yup, 50! Used to be $20/calendar day but then people were contacting me on the weekend trying to bring me checks, cash, etc and I hated it.

The next time I update contracts/handbooks, I am making each payment due the last day care is received, so if your last day for the week is thurs, that's when your payment is due.

I would add that you will accept a postdated check, but you need to receive it today.

I have a family on vacation now, they stiffed me and paid the late fee last summer on vacation AND the year prior. This summer I told DCM to write me a postdated check and she said she would, then 'forgot'. So yup, stiffed again. I already planned for this to happen and emailed them the invoice "if paid by this date it's X" and "if paid by this date it's X plus $50 late fee and no services until payment is received."
craftymissbeth 10:22 AM 07-18-2014
If I don't get payment at pick up on Friday then they can pay Monday at drop off with an extra $25 fee. I don't accept payments on weekends. If I don't get payment at drop off Monday, I stop charging fees,... but I also term at that point.

I don't mess around with my paychecks
AmyKidsCo 12:14 PM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have $10/calendar day also. My fees are due Thursday, considered late Friday 5pm, which gives them a day's grace period.

To help the OP:
1. Email/call her and ask her to get cash on the way to your house after work.
2. Hand her a self-addressed-stamped envelope to put the check in the mail Sat AM. (Still late, but would arrive sooner than after their vacation.)
3. If the check doesn't appear Saturday and you don't have late fees in your policies, write up a bill for this week and mail it to them. That way it'll be clear you DO expect to be paid for the week.
daycare 12:43 PM 07-18-2014
everyone has to do what works for them. I used to do the $15.00 a day when I first started, but then you get parents wanting to drop off over the weekend. Then other weekend drama started up like you were home so I put it under your door mat, it must have blown away.

So now here is what I do

1st time $50.00 late fee. no pay no stay. if unpaid for 3 consecutive days I term and you still still owe the full 30days notice

2nd time all of the above but late fee goes up to $100.00

3rd time all of the above and it goes up to $150.00

ever happens again good-bye.

and this is for the life of your daycare contract. it does not start over each year...
Reply Up