Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Taking Videos
Naptime yet? 06:16 AM 07-18-2014
I'm on a roll this am!

Does anyone allow kids to take videos while in care? I have a SAer who is taking videos of her brother & my dd, and I've told her about needing permission from dcps to take photos/videos of their kids, but is it wrong for me to sit next to her & make her delete any videos she's taken?

Will they be used against me in a court of law (ie. her home/parents) ?
nannyde 06:24 AM 07-18-2014
I don't allow the kids to have any recording devices in my home.
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 07-18-2014
Ugh, I'd have a hard time with that one....

Way too many liability issues.

As a parent, I would not be comfortable with older kids having the ability to record or tape my child in ANY way.

As a provider, if I took SA kids, I would NOT allow them to have cell phones while in care.
CraftyMom 06:24 AM 07-18-2014
I had to tell my daughter she can not take videos of the kids. She was 12 at the time, and she would send it to her friends, saying isn't this kid cute? Completely harmless, but when I found out she sent them to her friends I got upset and told her SHE does not have permission from the parents. I do , but she does not. And MY permission is with the understanding that pics and videos are for private use. By her sending them to her friends they were no longer private. I made her delete them. It was 2 very short videos, but still
permanentvacation 06:33 AM 07-18-2014
I would not allow any children to take pictures or videos of anyone in your daycare. I would not allow the children to bring any devices in that could be used to do so. You have to have permission to take pictures/videos of the children. The other children have not received permission from parents to take pics/vidoes of their children.

I don't care how old the child is, I do not allow the children to bring anything into my daycare; no toys, no cell phones, no anything. The only thing I allow is an empty book bag with one pocket folder. I check the book bag to make sure it is empty.
Heidi 06:37 AM 07-18-2014
I would simply ask the other parents for written permission, separately.

"So, our SA's have some projects going, and they'd like to be able to make videos. How do you feel about that?

If the parent's are ok with it, then pull out the written permission slips. If ONE parent says no, I'd just say "sorry, no", because it'd be too hard for you to monitor.

Our kids in school do it all the time as class projects. I have to sign something as part of the "media agreement".
Heidi 06:40 AM 07-18-2014
Actually, I was just thinking this could be a great summer project. Instead of just letting them randomly take videos, maybe you could use YOUR camera (if you have one) and thus control the situation a bit better.

You could have the kids do a play or a variety show. Let them manage it, but you can oversee it, obviously, and help them edit it.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I would simply ask the other parents for written permission, separately.

"So, our SA's have some projects going, and they'd like to be able to make videos. How do you feel about that?

If the parent's are ok with it, then pull out the written permission slips. If ONE parent says no, I'd just say "sorry, no", because it'd be too hard for you to monitor.

Our kids in school do it all the time as class projects. I have to sign something as part of the "media agreement".
I don't think you can legally give minors consent like that. (in regards to minors video taping other minors)

Maybe in a personal situation but I am doubtful this is ok in a business setting where liability issues are MUCH different than a personal or home situation.

Also HS kids doing a film/video project usually includes video of their family and friends and those people in public (in public, it's all fair game..think paparazzi) but this is a private home business.
Naptime yet? 07:10 AM 07-18-2014
Thanks, ladies, sometimes I think I need affirmation for my decisions.

I do like the idea of a kids' video production, but this is just phone videos. I know it's all in innocence, but I guess I am afraid of potential repercussions.

I feel like a big ole bucket of stupid today! And it's not even a full moon!
Second Home 09:06 AM 07-18-2014
One of my sa kids was laughing and watching another dck playing , when I saw he had his I pod in his hand I asked if he was recording . When he said yes I made him erase everything he had recorded , and I watched him do it . He was warned that he is not allowed to record and if he does he can not bring the I pod at all .
coolconfidentme 09:22 AM 07-18-2014
I have no battery operated toys. I also don't allow children to bring toys or items from home. It helps in these situations.

On a side note, I had a SA'r once try to sneak in an ipad & play mindcraft in the bath room. Busted on day one.
AmyKidsCo 12:16 PM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't allow the kids to have any recording devices in my home.
Ditto, but my group is all 5 and under. I wouldn't with older ones though, mainly because I don't want the liability if it were lost or broken.

I do have parents sign a permission for photos/videos of their children while in my program.
Reply Up