Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!
DaycareMom 02:55 PM 09-25-2014
So I have been working with a certain daycare family for almost 5 years. The DCM just got a new job and wants to drop off baby at 6:45 a.m. (Right now he Is dropped off at 7:30 A.m.).
She did not offer any compensation and I know that Dcd could drop off at a later time but doesn't want to...
I feel bad saying no because they have been an awesome family to work with but I don't like the idea of working for an extra 45 minutes for free.

How would you handle this situation?
Thriftylady 03:00 PM 09-25-2014
Do you have a current rate tier? What are your current hours of operation listed as? I ask those two questions because I am looking for room for you to say "I will have to raise your rate to accommodate the extra hours". Such as my contracts, I set a rate of $XX for X hours per week, so to change the hours by much would require a new contract and possibly a new rate. Just as you don't want to lose them, I am betting they don't want to lose you after so long.
Naptime yet? 03:02 PM 09-25-2014
If there's one thing I've learned from this forum it's if you give some families an inch, they'll take a mile.

If you don't want to do it, don't. Or, tell dcm, sure, I'll do it for an extra $xxx per day.

I know we build relationships with families, especially the longer they are with us, but why should you sacrifice your time for a family that obviously doesn't really care about YOUR time? Dcd could drop off, but doesn't want to? That speaks volumes.
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 09-25-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
If there's one thing I've learned from this forum ......
It's that when providers say a family has been great to work with or is a golden family, it just means that the family followed the rules and didn't create any waves.....which in my book is expected behavior and not something that automatically earns the family "special"...kwim?

So DaycareMom what do you mean when you say "they have been an awesome family to work with"?

Personally, I would just tell them sorry you can't accommodate such an early drop off. Especially if you KNOW that it isn't necessary (with DCD being available and all).... Unless you really don't mind. If that is the case, don't do it for free....charge. ANY time outside my normal business hours costs 2.5 times more.
nannyde 03:50 PM 09-25-2014
Just say yes and charge what you would make if you had all the kids that early. If you have six kids at twenty dollars a day for ten hour days... that makes it two dollars an hour per kid. forty five minutes is 1.50 per kid. six kids times 1.50 equals 9 dollars. So nine dollars a day would pay you the amount for the extra hours to have your business open.

Offer them that and see what they say.
nannyde 03:51 PM 09-25-2014
I don't know any worker who would do forty five minutes a day for free. Are they picking up forty five minutes early?
e.j. 04:36 PM 09-25-2014
I agree with the others. Allow the change in hours only if it's something you really want to do. If you decide you want to open earlier for them, don't wait for them to offer to pay extra. Tell them how much extra it will cost them and have them sign an updated contract. If you really don't want to open any earlier than you already do, stick to your guns and don't feel guilty about saying no. If they value you, they will make the decision to have dcd drop off.
AmyKidsCo 04:43 PM 09-25-2014
How is your rate schedule set up?

I charge the same amount for FT between 7-5, no matter what hours your child is in care. So if your child is here 9-3 you pay X... 8-4 you pay X... 7-5 you pay X. I tell the parents that one of the benefits of paying FT is that they're entitled to have their child here anytime between 7-5.

However, since 6:45 is before my open hours I'd charge extra to open early for her, and she can decide if she wants to pay the extra or have Dad drop off.

But that's how *I* do things - you may do it differently.
finsup 09:50 AM 09-26-2014
I used to feel bad about saying no...to anything. I always tried to go above and beyond for families and well, sadly that lead to being taking advantage of a lot. It also made me resent them and created a lot of stress. I'd say/write something like this:
I would be happy to care for your child 45 minutes earlier each day! I will do that for you at a rate of _______ a day/week (whichever you want to do). If you feel like that's something you would like I'll re-write your contract and have it for you to sign Monday (or whenever) and we'll be good to go!
Reply Up