Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would This Be Wrong??
Crazy8 12:11 PM 10-22-2014
I had a family give notice today. This is going to crush me financially, getting kids has been super hard in recent years here. And partially because of that I have kept this family who is my latest pick up and on top of that they are ALWAYS 3-5 min. late - not much but annoying when they are the only ones here and cuts into the 30 min. I usually have to get my kids somewhere. There are other little things that bugged me, nothing really term worthy but I have thought if the right family came along I would term them. Well they just termed me (due to job change, nothing I did).

So, would it be really wrong of me to change my hours (effective next week) to the half hour earlier that everyone else goes home??? This family does not pay extra for the extra half hour, but they are contracted for it. I don't want to seem unprofessional or spiteful, but have resented that extra time for so long that I just hate doing it for them while mom takes her vacation week before she quits the job she hates. Dad is always home 2 hours before but she is the one who picks up the kids on her way home from work.
taylorw1210 12:16 PM 10-22-2014
Did they give a 2 week notice?

If so, I would just suck it up for the next 2 weeks. Mark the day on your calendar and begin your count down! And then after they leave you can officially change your closing time.
melilley 12:17 PM 10-22-2014
I would do it as long as there is nothing in your contract about having to give any type of notice, they are leaving anyways.

I am going to do the same once one of my families leave. Dcb is usually the first one here and last to leave and mom either isn't at work or get's out early and doesn't get him. He's the only one who is here that late. A half an hour sure can make a difference!
Kabob 12:20 PM 10-22-2014
I offered a family that was staying 15 minutes past my closing time without pay a chance to either pay extra for the extra minutes or simply pick up by closing time. I told them that although I originally agreed to those hours, I no longer could offer that time for free anymore due to a change in the needs of the daycare (business costs, scheduling my help, etc). They agreed to pay and now I don't resent that time.

You could just skip offering the time for a fee altogether if you can't offer it at all.

You gotta do what you gotta do...
Crazy8 12:35 PM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I would do it as long as there is nothing in your contract about having to give any type of notice, they are leaving anyways.

I am going to do the same once one of my families leave. Dcb is usually the first one here and last to leave and mom either isn't at work or get's out early and doesn't get him. He's the only one who is here that late. A half an hour sure can make a difference!
yes, that half hour is a huge difference!!! if I go thru my old posts I know I posted here about wanting to change my hours. I was going to just do it and if this family left because of it I would have just replaced them but getting replacements has gotten so much more difficult - seems EVERY family I encounter has a SAHP.

I am thinking if I just start enforcing every minute they are late (x2 for 2 kids) I won't resent it as much. She's paid late fees in the past but only when she was really late. I have let that go in the past and now I'm a little resentful.
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
yes, that half hour is a huge difference!!! if I go thru my old posts I know I posted here about wanting to change my hours. I was going to just do it and if this family left because of it I would have just replaced them but getting replacements has gotten so much more difficult - seems EVERY family I encounter has a SAHP.

I am thinking if I just start enforcing every minute they are late (x2 for 2 kids) I won't resent it as much. She's paid late fees in the past but only when she was really late. I have let that go in the past and now I'm a little resentful.
Do you know FOR SURE that the mom will be on vacation one of their final two weeks? Also do you know FOR SURE that DCD is off/home 2 hours prior as well?

If the answer to either one of those is yes, then I would absolutely tell them that you provided that extra half hour as a courtesy since their working hours didn't meet your closing time but since this is no longer the case now so you will no longer be willing to provide care after 5:00 or whatever your regular closing time is
Crazy8 04:12 PM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you know FOR SURE that the mom will be on vacation one of their final two weeks? Also do you know FOR SURE that DCD is off/home 2 hours prior as well?

If the answer to either one of those is yes, then I would absolutely tell them that you provided that extra half hour as a courtesy since their working hours didn't meet your closing time but since this is no longer the case now so you will no longer be willing to provide care after 5:00 or whatever your regular closing time is
Yes, mom told me she is taking her week's vacation before she tells them she is quitting! And yes, dad gets home 1-2 hours before their pick up time. He just always made it mom's "job" to pick up the kids on her way home. When she is running late and calls him to pick them up he does, but grudgingly!
KiddieCahoots 05:01 PM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Yes, mom told me she is taking her week's vacation before she tells them she is quitting! And yes, dad gets home 1-2 hours before their pick up time. He just always made it mom's "job" to pick up the kids on her way home. When she is running late and calls him to pick them up he does, but grudgingly!
I'm in agreement with BC on this.
I'd have it written out for them as a reminder too, so they know the late fee will be enforced.
Indoorvoice 05:34 PM 10-23-2014
Also in agreement with bc here. I just told a family who I always let come an hour after my closing time that they needed to start coming at my closing time on Mondays and Fridays when I found out dcd did not work at all on those days. He did not even attempt to come pick up dcg when dcm was running late (which of course was EVERY friday) so I was staying open for a good 1.5-1.75 hours PAST my closing time for free. I think it is totally reasonable to ask that.
Tags:late fee, losing spots
Reply Up