Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing - My Nightmare
MarinaVanessa 04:22 PM 05-15-2015
Okay so for those of you waiting on hearing word about the outcome of my situation, we finally got some. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about ... I had a child walk out of my daycare and licensing came to suspend and tried to revoke my license. I know, shocking. I wrote it in the private section for a variety of reasons and I wasn't allowed to talk about the details of the incident until I got a decision (It was court ordered).

So anyway, after 9 months of visits, interviews, attorney meetings, a two-day hearing and then like 6 months of waiting I finally received the answer from the administrative judge today. No revocation, just a year probation.

They usually give 3-5 years probation so I must have made an impression at the hearing. As much as I would like to say that it's over, it's not. DSS licensing in Sacramento still has to review the decision and has 30 days to decide to stick with it, amend it, or completely toss it out.

Well, at least it's progress
Crystal 04:27 PM 05-15-2015
WooHoo!!!!!!! So happy you finally have some resolution, and a positive one at that!
Laurel 04:32 PM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Okay so for those of you waiting on hearing word about the outcome of my situation, we finally got some. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about ... I had a child walk out of my daycare and licensing came to suspend and tried to revoke my license. I know, shocking. I wrote it in the private section for a variety of reasons and I wasn't allowed to talk about the details of the incident until I got a decision (It was court ordered).

So anyway, after 9 months of visits, interviews, attorney meetings, a two-day hearing and then like 6 months of waiting I finally received the answer from the administrative judge today. No revocation, just a year probation.

They usually give 3-5 years probation so I must have made an impression at the hearing. As much as I would like to say that it's over, it's not. DSS licensing in Sacramento still has to review the decision and has 30 days to decide to stick with it, amend it, or completely toss it out.

Well, at least it's progress
Well that doesn't sound too bad at least. Good for you!

Laurel
MarinaVanessa 04:33 PM 05-15-2015
Thank you thank you thank you.

I hope I can open up again soon. I haven't run my daycare from home for 9 months and working out of the home is killing me. I can't wait for things to go back to normal again.

One of my previous clients lost her job and still isn't working so she won't be coming back. Another client moved away and my other client will have their child start school in the fall so I'll only have her for the summer (I don't do school age).

I do have someone with an infant interested starting in October (will be born in July) and someone with a 2 year old on my waiting list but other than than I'm starting all over again from 0 clients. Could be a good thing.
Thriftylady 04:35 PM 05-15-2015
Glad you got some answers, and I hope that it is over with!
daycarediva 04:41 PM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Thank you thank you thank you.

I hope I can open up again soon. I haven't run my daycare from home for 9 months and working out of the home is killing me. I can't wait for things to go back to normal again.

One of my previous clients lost her job and still isn't working so she won't be coming back. Another client moved away and my other client will have their child start school in the fall so I'll only have her for the summer (I don't do school age).

I do have someone with an infant interested starting in October (will be born in July) and someone with a 2 year old on my waiting list but other than than I'm starting all over again from 0 clients. Could be a good thing.
What a positive way to view it. I am so happy that this ordeal is FINALLY coming to a close for you and you can put this chapter behind you. Best of luck getting an awesome new group in!
sharlan 04:48 PM 05-15-2015
Best of luck! I can only imagine what you've been going through. It's only by the grace of above that more of us haven't gone through this.
CraftyMom 04:49 PM 05-15-2015
SO glad to hear it is coming to an end!

A fresh start is a good thing!

Can I ask about the family of the child that walked out? Have they been in contact? At the beginning they were defending you (if I recall correctly) What is their take on this whole ordeal?
NeedaVaca 05:18 PM 05-15-2015
I have thought of you often and was hoping for a good ending! Stay positive!
Kabob 06:32 PM 05-15-2015
Goodness 9 months for them to give you some sort of answer...it's like you had a baby!

Hopefully this positive trend will snowball into more positive things for you. Keep up the good work! I admire your positive attitude.
sahm1225 06:41 PM 05-15-2015
All the prayers we said worked, congratulations! I'm sorry it took so long though.

Congratulations and can't wait to see you on the board more often
Annalee 06:47 PM 05-15-2015
Best wishes to you!
e.j. 07:44 PM 05-15-2015
I wasn't aware you were going through this. What a stressful time it must have been for you! You seem satisfied with the outcome; a year's probation is definitely better than 3-5 years! Hopefully DSS will agree with the judge and that year will go by quickly for you.
mom2many 11:52 PM 05-15-2015
So happy to hear this news!
What a horrible, stressful situation to endure. I'm glad they finally let you know what they decided upon and hope it sticks!
Wishing you all the best!
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Best of luck! I can only imagine what you've been going through. It's only by the grace of above that more of us haven't gone through this.
Yep, I was going to say the same thing, it could've happened to any one of us. Glad to hear it's almost over for you and you can get back to what your heart wants to do!!!
MyAngels 06:24 AM 05-16-2015
That's really good news! I'm so glad things seem to be finally working out
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:49 AM 05-16-2015
Glad to hear the update. Praying for you!
MarinaVanessa 04:39 PM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Can I ask about the family of the child that walked out? Have they been in contact? At the beginning they were defending you (if I recall correctly) What is their take on this whole ordeal?
Now that I can talk about it ... the licensing attorney was somehow under the impression that my families wanted me shut down. ALL of my families went to bat for me. The child's parents APOLOGIZED to me for their child walking out ... I of course do not fault them or anyone else in this matter. All in all it was MY responsibility to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be.

They will be returning but only through the summer. I don't usually keep children past when they start Kinder but because they were my 2nd clients and I had her since she was under a year I kept her an extra year and walked to her school to pick her up and we walked back. That's how she knew what route to take and why she was so brave to try it on her own (she tried walking home which is close to where her school is).

I have decided to stick to my own "rules" and not do school age care and so when school starts again I will not be caring for her ... I always said that school age children require more supervision and I was right and in a split second she opened the door for another parent (she's tall for her age and tall enough to reach up and unlock my upper latch) while I was in the restroom, let the parent in and let herself out. I love her to death and her parents are and have been very supportive throughout this whole thing however I have just decided that I will stick to the 5 and under crowd

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yep, I was going to say the same thing, it could've happened to any one of us. Glad to hear it's almost over for you and you can get back to what your heart wants to do!!!
It definitely COULD happen to anyone and the process is a nightmare (in CA). I went through a lot and well ... I'm in therapy now . I'm good now, I just became very withdrawn and depressed. I felt like a part of me that I loved was gone. I'm hopeful to be able to open soon and I don't care what hoops they want to add to my probation, I just want to do daycare again
Play Care 02:58 AM 05-18-2015
I am happy for you. I had been following along and thought of you often.
Meeko 07:52 AM 05-18-2015
SOOOOO happy to hear this news! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that licensing decide to go with the decision. Hang in there!
melilley 11:37 AM 05-18-2015
I've been wondering about you
Glad to hear that there is finally a decision. I hope licensing doesn't take too long and you get to open soon!
Reply Up