Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dirty Boots Walking Through My House
CountryRoads 08:40 AM 01-11-2019
I have the dcm who constantly lets her 2 year old walk through our house with wet, muddy, snowy boots. My daycare is downstairs, so everyone comes in through the front door and comes downstairs. She never takes off her child's boots at our door, and allows him to track mess through our house.
She told me once "I told him to take off his boots, but he didn't want to."
This morning, she informs me that "you have a lot of mud outside." We have a gravel drive way and concrete going from the gravel to our front steps. What happened was her child ran off of the gravel area and stepped in the mud. I go upstairs for a second and I step in a pile of water/mud. There are little piles all upstairs, and muddy prints in my downstairs, too.
I'm not sure how to handle this. Do I put up a sign asking to leave kids' muddy boots/shoes upstairs at the door? I am incredibly annoyed and I don't know why she thinks that's okay. Take off his boots at the door...it's not that hard! But on the other hand, is this just the way it is with choosing to have a daycare in our home?
He will throw a fit if she takes off his boots upstairs and she doesn't want to deal with it. She allows him to do whatever he wants.
Any advice?
storybookending 08:48 AM 01-11-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
is this just the way it is with choosing to have a daycare in our home?
No. It is not a side affect of choosing to do daycare from our homes. It is flat out disrespect and lack of parenting. I would verbally tell mom that if she allows it to happen again that she will no longer have a space in your daycare due to disrespect. If the child throws a fit that is not your problem, it is moms and she is free to bring him downstairs when he is ready to participate. Case closed.
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 01-11-2019
I have the dcm who constantly lets her 2 year old walk through our house with wet, muddy, snowy boots. My daycare is downstairs, so everyone comes in through the front door and comes downstairs. She never takes off her child's boots at our door, and allows him to track mess through our house.
This morning, she informs me that "you have a lot of mud outside." We have a gravel drive way and concrete going from the gravel to our front steps. What happened was her child ran off of the gravel area and stepped in the mud. I go upstairs for a second and I step in a pile of water/mud. There are little piles all upstairs, and muddy prints in my downstairs, too.
I'm not sure how to handle this. Do I put up a sign asking to leave kids' muddy boots/shoes upstairs at the door? I am incredibly annoyed and I don't know why she thinks that's okay. Take off his boots at the door...it's not that hard! But on the other hand, is this just the way it is with choosing to have a daycare in our home?
He will throw a fit if she takes off his boots upstairs and she doesn't want to deal with it. She allows him to do whatever he wants.
Any advice?
No, you need to state TO her; "DCM, you MUST remove Billy's boots before you walk through my home. "

Don't ask her, don't hint and don't explain. Just like talking to the DCK's, TELL her what you want her to do.

Period.

It is in no way confrontational nor is it rude. (well, she's rude)

It is your house. Part of this business is making your expectations clear and then enforcing them when a client does not comply.
Josiegirl 09:30 AM 01-11-2019
Yes and yes to both replies! Dcm wants to pass the buck in every way instead of growing up and taking responsibility as a parent.
I do not understand why they'd rather bend over for their child than another adult. "I'm so sorry Officer, my 8 yo wanted me to go 75 mph." Feeble excuse, no matter what age we're talking about. BE the parent. It does get easier.
Firefly 09:45 AM 01-11-2019
Wow! That’s disrespectful! I would not allow anyone to come in my house with their shoes or boots on. I had a parent who walked right in with her boots on when she came to pick her child up. I just told her not to come in with her boots on and it hasn’t been a problem since. I would tell this parent to please remove child’s boots at the front door. It’s not your problem if he doesn’t like it.
amberrose3dg 09:57 AM 01-11-2019
Any advice?
She is a big giant B!@#$ ! Excuse my language she rather dirty and disrespect your house so she doesnt hear him cry for 2 seconds. Tell her she has two choices she either listens to her poor snowflake cry or she finds another daycare! That would set me off.
Snowmom 10:13 AM 01-11-2019
You need to TELL her. In person and without waver.

If it were me, I'd also be handing her an invoice for the cleaning bill and telling her that if it happens again, I will let her go.
CountryRoads 10:15 AM 01-11-2019
Thanks everyone for the replies!
I will bring his boots upstairs now and at pick up I will ask that she take off his boots at the door from now on so he doesn't track mud and snow through our house.
What is with parents sometimes??
Josiegirl 10:30 AM 01-11-2019
Thanks everyone for the replies!
I will bring his boots upstairs now and at pick up I will ask that she take off his boots at the door from now on so he doesn't track mud and snow through our house.
What is with parents sometimes??
So many people don't think of others anymore.
CountryRoads 03:17 PM 01-11-2019
Well, I asked her to leave his boots by the door for now on. She responded very nicely, but told dcb "Did you make a mess with your boots? We have to leave your boots upstairs now since you must've left a mess for her." Ya, it's HIS fault
Then he threw the biggest fit (screaming, kicking, throwing himself on the ground) until they got out the door because he didn't have on his boots.
Hopefully he gets over that quick!
CountryRoads 01:40 PM 01-15-2019
Yesterday and this morning, she carried him down with his boots and set them on the floor down here.

Yes, dcm, they still leave muddy, wet puddles wherever you set them down.

I'm going to go crazy!

What is so hard about "please leave his boots upstairs"??!!
Snowmom 01:48 PM 01-15-2019
Cheesus.

If she does it again, stop her in her tracks and tell her to "carry her child upstairs and physically take off his boots at the door before she even approaches the stairs. End of story."

If she can't/won't, she will have to call you before coming and do it outside because she won't be allowed in the door since she'll be doing the "bye bye outside" from now on.
sharlan 02:24 PM 01-15-2019
It sounds like a power play to me - you can't tell me what to do.
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 01-16-2019
Does everyone else leave their boots upstairs? If so, she is one whipped mama and has an extra special snowflake.
Gemma 05:01 AM 01-16-2019
Some people are unbelievably disrespectful!

No consequence= no change so try to be firm on your expectations, and don't be afraid to give her an ultimatum.

Blackcat31 06:11 AM 01-16-2019
Originally Posted by sharlan:
It sounds like a power play to me - you can't tell me what to do.
It's not about the boots any more.

It's definitely about her having the last word or being the one in charge. Clearly she isn't in charge in regards to her child so she is getting her sense of power by being disrespectful to you.

Sometimes the best way to get through to those parents is to charge them....

"DCM,

I've repeatedly asked you not to let your son track mud and water through out my home. You have completely disregarded this request. Unfortunately I have now needed to hire a professional floor cleaner to rid the mud and dirt you've tracked in. I am enclosing the invoice for this service. Please include payment with your next tuition payment. Thank you "

Tags:dirty shoes in house
Reply Up