Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews Going Bad
Unregistered 06:59 PM 08-18-2012
Had another interview this weekend. Have had 4 in the last few days. All have gone ok at best. Feeling really discouraged, like maybe this isnt for me. Not sure if its the way I am doing things during the interview, my contract, my own kids, or my program overall. Nobody is really giving me much feedback either so I am not sure what to change.

Just really discouraged. Hate doing all this work prepping for no return. Frustrated,
Daycarelady1979 09:40 PM 08-18-2012
I'm in the exact same boat
Nickel 11:29 PM 08-18-2012
I know exactly how you feel. Ive had tons of interviews and no enrollments! Hope it gets better for all of us!!!
DaisyMamma 04:55 AM 08-19-2012
I've had more interviews than enrollments as well.
One family said yes, but I said no. -crazy mom, crazy kids.
Another family I really liked and her neighbor decided to do it.
The other was PT and didn't like that a FT family coming along later would mean they get bumped.

It helps to follow up with them to find out if they will be enrolling. If they are not, they usually offer up an explanation.
Another member on here suggested sending a question list to interviewed families that will help you determine what needs improvment, if anything.

Anyway, I feel your pain. I'm really hurting for kids this school year.
jojosmommy 07:39 AM 08-19-2012
It is so frustrating. I have done a number of interviews and it seems like first the people sound really interested either in email or on the phone then during the interview the people either have crazy kids that don't fit in or they don't really ask any questions or seem interested. Are my rates too high and they are already planning on going somewhere else they just needed to do the interview with me to confirm that or am I missing something? I feel like the good ones aren't even asking good questions, like they don't really care because they have already decided to go elsewhere.

My family is getting annoyed too. My son has met tons of "potential friends" who he likes and then they never call back or decide to go elsewhere. He keeps asking about "jillian or billy". He is very tender hearted.

My husband is sick of all the interviews too, scheduling around our other plans, having him home in case one of my own kids needs more help than I can offer during an interview, etc. All he keeps saying when people are done interviewing is "well, they didn't say NO yet ."
providerandmomof4 10:52 AM 08-19-2012
I'm in the same boat. I had three interviews last week and signed one. I felt that the interview that went the worst was actually the one that signed up! So..you never know. They looked sort of overwhelmed as they were leaving and I thought, "OMG...I monopolized that interview with way too much info." But they ended up signing! The other two that didn't sign seemed so much more interested but were unsure of their schedule needs. I don't know, they seem to come in groups, but I'm feeling frustrated because I'm either full and going crazy or constantly needing and looking for more kiddos (this more often than not!)
Abigail 02:46 PM 08-19-2012
I felt the same when I first started because I just needed to have a better looking daycare and be able to answer peoples questions better. Now after surviving and having a small group of kids it seems like everyone who tours is likely to enroll. I do have many conversations via email or phone just making conversation to see if they're even easy to talk too. Then once they come for an interview within a day or two I email them thanking them for coming on a tour and ask them to get back to me with any questions they have. Once in awhile they say why they're going with someone else and other times they say they're happy to have had follow-up with me and would like to schedule a second meeting. I'm pretty much full now, especially that I'm expecting in February and have a current daycare mom due in October but I am trying to find just 1 or 2 more part time kids. The last family toured yesterday but had two young kids putting me over ratio where in December when the next baby starts I will need two people here at all times so not exactly what I planned for me taking time off for maternity leave with one assistant, but that is six months down the road and I'll worry about it when the time nears. Good luck with the next tours and make sure to follow up with a simple email or phone call thanking them for their time. You should also give them papers to help remember your daycare by before they leave.
Daycarelady1979 06:06 PM 08-19-2012
The last interview I had was a lady with 2 kids who gets daycare assistance through the county. Now, I've been doing daycare at home for nearly 9 years but I just became certified last month (always stayed full with private pay...up till now), and I'm totally new & uncomfortable with this whole county "thing." I had 2 packets of papers to give her, one was basically my own contract & info & the other was the county paperwork. I gave everything to her plus one of my business cards, the interview went *ok* (kids were dirty, the little boy bites & the little girl had been to 2 previous daycares...hmmmm)...she seemed like it was a done deal...then she left & I've never heard back from her. So I'm confused. Should I not have given her the paperwork to take home? It's A LOT of info, no way we could have went over it all while she was here. I feel like I wasted my time getting all that ready & printing everything out for her. I even put it in a cute purple 'enrollment folder'... so I guess my question is, what exactly is your procedure for interviews? Walk me through it. Maybe my interviewing skills just got rusty after having the same kids here for years & years.
Abigail 06:27 PM 08-19-2012
daycare lady I totally understand where you are coming from! I was so upset when I didn't stick to my gut and keep my papers. I was feeling like if someone came out that I needed to give them the details. What I do now I like. It is hard to speak up, but if they like you it will work out.

I have "enrollment folders" ready, but I do not send them home. In it is the two papers required for licensing, the food program enrollment form, and the release form for sunscreen, etc. Then I have my contract and handbook paperwork on the other side of the folder to pull out and show. I only show my handbook if they seem interested. Then we discuss contract terms a little and I will show them the contract, but I tell them if they're interested they can call me and schedule a second time to come back to go over any final questions they have come up with. That always works for me! Once a parent asked to take it home and I gave it to her and she lost it, but I did tell her on her way out as I handed it to her that if she decides not to enroll please return the folder. I regretted it for WEEKS, but she did actually enroll and even offer a few dollars to replace the paperwork she lost. LOL
Daycarelady1979 06:36 PM 08-19-2012
I can't enroll a child with my food program until I have all their information, birth date, etc. So that always comes after they have signed the contract & given me a start date.

For the county kids I have a whole PACKET of paperwork. The lady at job & family services did make several copies of the packet for me, but after reviewing it, I needed to make some changes...so I'm back to printing it all out again.

Having them come back for a 2nd interview to read/sign papers is an excellent idea! I just didn't know how it worked with the county...do they need certain paperwork to take with them to job & family services for any reason?

I feel completely lost & confused. I think I lost my mojo...LOL
moshimoshi 02:43 PM 08-24-2012
I had two interviews this entire summer and no enrollments since May. Finally this week I have two more interviews scheduled. Things will turn around if we keep moving forward.
busymomof2 03:03 PM 08-24-2012
When I have interviews I usually have them on Saturdays or end of the day when less kids. I introduce myself, give permission for the child to play in the playroom with my children (need t see if they get along), take the parents for a tour of my daycare as I explain my program, offer them a seat to talk about important policies & any questions they may have. I also show them a photo album of activities that we do throughout the year. I use to give the full packet too but it's a waste of my $ if they don't enroll. Now I just give them an application, copy of policies and a business card attached. I don't get many calls but when I have interviews (or should I say when they show up) they usually say yes. You have to offer something that other daycare providers in your area don't, so you can stand out, ie (website, blog, newsletter, preschool program, assistant, graduation, accept babies, holiday celebrations). Good luck to you!
daycare 04:22 PM 08-24-2012
must be in the air....lol I have never had someone no show and my last 5 interview were all no-shows... not sure why, they just did....BUt I was sad and could not help but wonder why....

BUT whatever, it happens...... I am still ready to go it again......
busymomof2 08:07 AM 08-25-2012
daycare where in California are you located? I'm in Fresno- Central valley.
DCMama 10:22 AM 08-27-2012
This line of work put on such an emotional roller coaster. You go up when you get a call. Go steady when they come to talk to you, go down when there is no returns for your hard work. At least you have some interviews, I haven't had one for so long haha. Good luck to all of us.
Tags:interview - no luck
Reply Up