Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With Crawler During Outside Play?
Kimberli 07:40 AM 10-18-2012
Trying to transition my one 11 month old to the one nap a day program, but running into a challenge.

He used to take his morning nap while all the big kids had outdoor play, but now, he is awake during that time. He can't walk yet - is a crawler and a climber and into everything - so what do I do with him while he is outside? The patio is too rough (and right now too hot) for him to crawl on, he wants to get into the sandbox or eat grass. I tried bringing out a big quilt and giving him toys - that lasts for one minute! And he will not sit still in my lap.

I am in California - no pack and plays, swings, bouncers or play pens allowed. He weighs 26 pounds and I cannot hold him for the entire time.

Suggestions? I know you guys are a creative bunch! Thanks.
DaisyMamma 07:49 AM 10-18-2012
I have the same problem.
It drives me crazy. He doesn't want to be in a baby swing, or a pnp, or high chair. I won't let him crawl all over. He is miserable the whole time, but I cannot hold him the whole time either.
I find the sand box helpful sometimes as he hasn't crawled out of it yet.
Other then that, I'm looking forward to reading the other answers.....
Unregistered 07:50 AM 10-18-2012
I was in the same situation last year although our weather was cooler. I put the child in splash pants and put a pair of my socks on his hands. It worked great. The child was happy to crawl freely outside and he stayed relatively dry. The socks prevented him from putting most things in his mouth.
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 10-18-2012
Socks on the hands in warmer weather and a snowsuit as soon as it's cold enough, even if it's not snowy. Keeps them warm and well-padded.

let him crawl and explore, just stay near him to remind him not to put things in his mouth "No mouth," as you intercept and brush his hand away will eventually teach him. And if things do get in there before you get there, well, it's a great chance to start teaching them to spit out yucky things. A funny and exaggerated, "BLECH!" with your tongue hanging out makes them laugh and mimic you, thus allowing you to remove the object. I usually say, "BLech! Icky, no mouth!" and it works. My now 16.5 month old has been minding this well since about 14 months.
Cat Herder 09:26 AM 10-18-2012
The big resin play pools with ball pit balls works well for me.

I just hang the pool back up on the fence so it does not fill with water during the rain.

The balls get bagged in a mesh laundry bag, dunked in bleach water, hung dry and tossed back into a rubber made bin. Simple.

I live in fire ant country.
EchoMom 09:33 AM 10-18-2012
I let all crawlers crawl outside. I warn parents that babiest that crawl WILL come home with dirty pants so send them in play clothes. I wash their hands and feet off if they got too dirty. I watch them and have them spit things out, take things out of their mouth they shouldn't have. However I do not worry a ton about grass & leaves, they kind of figure it out on their own that those things aren't tasty.

I think it's extremely important for babies to crawl around in nature and feel all the textures.

On my rough patio I put down foam interlocking mats. But they don't really stay on it anyway, they always end up in the grass or trying to eat mulch. Just be resilient, it's worth it for them to have that super important time!
sharlan 09:42 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Kimberli:
Trying to transition my one 11 month old to the one nap a day program, but running into a challenge.

He used to take his morning nap while all the big kids had outdoor play, but now, he is awake during that time. He can't walk yet - is a crawler and a climber and into everything - so what do I do with him while he is outside? The patio is too rough (and right now too hot) for him to crawl on, he wants to get into the sandbox or eat grass. I tried bringing out a big quilt and giving him toys - that lasts for one minute! And he will not sit still in my lap.

I am in California - no pack and plays, swings, bouncers or play pens allowed. He weighs 26 pounds and I cannot hold him for the entire time.

Suggestions? I know you guys are a creative bunch! Thanks.
Swings ARE LEGAL in CA. Do you have somewhere that you could put a toddler swing?

What about a superyard? You could place it on your patio ontop of a heavy blanket.
sharlan 09:44 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The big resin play pools with ball pit balls works well for me.

I just hang the pool back up on the fence so it does not fill with water during the rain.

The balls get bagged in a mesh laundry bag, dunked in bleach water, hung dry and tossed back into a rubber made bin. Simple.

I live in fire ant country.
Good idea.
crazydaycarelady 09:46 AM 10-18-2012
Can you use exersaucers? I bought one at as garasge sale and keep it outside.
mom2many 09:52 AM 10-18-2012
Mine just crawl around on the grass. I have a 9 mth old that loves to be outside. We have raised flower beds and I just make sure no little leaves or twigs are on the grass for her to stick in her mouth.
mom2many 09:53 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Can you use exersaucers? I bought one at as garasge sale and keep it outside.
Nope not in CA!
youretooloud 10:51 AM 10-18-2012
I just let them crawl outside. It never occurred to me to keep an 11 month old off the ground. I do cover their knees though.
Meyou 10:57 AM 10-18-2012
I use a superyard or two with a quilt underneath or trail the crawler and try to keep them out of the worst of the muck.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 10-18-2012
I'm in California as well. I know that bouncers and exersaucers are not allowed but pak n plays, play pens and swings are all most certaintly still allowed (for now anyway). I would do like PPs said and let the little one explore the grass etc with you watching close and use a pak n play for those times when you can't. I also love the plastic pool and balls idea!
Kimberli 12:21 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm in California as well. I know that bouncers and exersaucers are not allowed but pak n plays, play pens and swings are all most certaintly still allowed (for now anyway). I would do like PPs said and let the little one explore the grass etc with you watching close and use a pak n play for those times when you can't. I also love the plastic pool and balls idea!
Sorry, I beg to differ. In the State of California, we are not allowed to use play pens or superyards or pack and plays unless the child 'is sleeping' in them. The are considered a 'Violation of a Child's Personal Rights' as it restricts their bodies. My licensing analyst is so strict, in fact, that she will not even allow me to gate off my kitchen because it could potentially hinder the way to an exit in the event of an emergency (the back slider) even though there are two additional exits in my downstairs area. (not kidding!)

Right now, I am putting him down and letting him crawl in the grass, but the problem is just that he gets filthy - heads for my planter boxes and attempts to 'eat' everything. I certainly know how to direct him not to put things in his mouth, but we are talking about a very strong willed, curious baby who is as big as a tank. Shadowing and relocating him to the extent that he needs is going to break my back - literally! This kiddo is a tank!

I LOVE the balls in the pool idea though! I just retired my pool since water days ended this month for me, so I will re-vamp it and get some balls and recycle it!

Thanks for some great ideas!
DaisyMamma 12:27 PM 10-18-2012
I like the pool idea as well. Great one!
sharlan 12:30 PM 10-18-2012
Sorry, I beg to differ. In the State of California, we are not allowed to use play pens or superyards or pack and plays unless the child 'is sleeping' in them. The are considered a 'Violation of a Child's Personal Rights' as it restricts their bodies. My licensing analyst is so strict, in fact, that she will not even allow me to gate off my kitchen because it could potentially hinder the way to an exit in the event of an emergency (the back slider) even though there are two additional exits in my downstairs area. (not kidding!)

Right now, I am putting him down and letting him crawl in the grass, but the problem is just that he gets filthy - heads for my planter boxes and attempts to 'eat' everything. I certainly know how to direct him not to put things in his mouth, but we are talking about a very strong willed, curious baby who is as big as a tank. Shadowing and relocating him to the extent that he needs is going to break my back - literally! This kiddo is a tank!

I LOVE the balls in the pool idea though! I just retired my pool since water days ended this month for me, so I will re-vamp it and get some balls and recycle it!

Thanks for some great ideas!
My 11 mo weighs 31 lbs, I so understand the tank aspect.

The analysts are all so different, but I checked with mine before I bought the superyard and he said it was ok. He did say that we couldn't use the pack and play unless the child was sleeping, though.
Oneluckymom 12:39 PM 10-18-2012
I have 2 crawlers and I put mens work socks on them...pull them all the way up to babies thigh. You can also put plastic diaper pants on them. This has REALLY helped me as they used to be so dirty I had to wash or change their clothes.

I haven't tried the socks on the hands yet, but I'm almost certain that one of my babies would pull them right off.
Kimberli 12:40 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My 11 mo weighs 31 lbs, I so understand the tank aspect.

The analysts are all so different, but I checked with mine before I bought the superyard and he said it was ok. He did say that we couldn't use the pack and play unless the child was sleeping, though.
Hey ... I'll trade you analysts!!!
Michelle 01:12 PM 10-18-2012
strollers are allowed still, I hope

I use them in my yard. I can't imagine a licenser thinking it's better for babies to crawl around on the ground than be in clean and safe a pcp or play yard.

I really wish Calif. would just get their head on straight and use common since.
The only rule I really agree with are the walkers that have wheels.

But we should be allowed excersusers and pcp because the only alternative is to lay them on the floor where they can get hurt by others.

We have a ball pit for the crawlers outside and they alternate between the toddler swing, ball pit and our arms.
Michelle 01:13 PM 10-18-2012
Hey ... I'll trade you analysts!!!
You would LOVE mine, she is a sweety!
Kimberli 01:53 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
You would LOVE mine, she is a sweety!
Jealous ... I shall move to your neighborhood! (((giggle)))
Michelle 02:16 PM 10-18-2012
believe me, I have had some crazies in the past! one time I had a lady pick up a piece of pretend bacon near our play kitchen and she tried to say I had food laying on the ground.. I told her it was a toy, so then she looked for food on the ground and went in the kitchen and said there was food under the high chair and I said "yes, because the baby in the high chair is throwing it on the floor."

Some of them are power hungry and some come in and are very helpful.
lovemykidstoo 02:20 PM 10-18-2012
You can't use a stroller?
sharlan 02:23 PM 10-18-2012
Jealous ... I shall move to your neighborhood! (((giggle)))
I think you would like any analyst besides yours.

The stroller is a good idea. Push him around the back yard.
Kimberli 02:30 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I think you would like any analyst besides yours.
Surely you jest! ... yes, PLEASE!

And I DO like the stroller idea too! Thx!
lovemykidstoo 03:53 PM 10-18-2012
Surely you jest! ... yes, PLEASE!

And I DO like the stroller idea too! Thx!
I use the stroller alot. Push the baby around the backyard and do squats while pushing it at the same time while the kids play around me LOL!
providerandmomof4 04:54 PM 10-18-2012
Love these ideas...I use the stroller a lot but wish that the babies could get some exercise without getting so filthy (and trying to eat dirt and bugs but I guess I'll just have to shadow them-hehe) so....these ideas really help! It has me in the mood to clean up the yard and set up some areas for the babies! It has been sooo windy here. Always a ridiculous amount of small sticks and leaves. Ugh!
Tags:crawler, outside play
Reply Up