Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Play in the Winter
Sunny Day 05:37 AM 01-28-2011
For those of you who get nasty winters (I live in Ontario, Canada, so I get them bad! lol), how often do you get your daycare kiddies outside to play? I feel like I have not been getting them out enough, but I have all little ones, it takes me 20 minutes to half an hour to get them all ready and then we get outside, they can't walk, their mitts are falling off and they're all screaming and crying after 5 minutes. Its just NOT worth it! I usually get them out about twice a week....
Stacy214 05:45 AM 01-28-2011
I live in NC and we just don't go out ever during the winter...I know I know I am supposed to get them out but I have two 4 mos olds, 1 yr old and 2 yr old....so I create lots of gross motor activities to do inside. It's not worth the bundling up and like you said the time.
melskids 05:53 AM 01-28-2011
i live in upstate NY, which might as well be Canada....lol

we go outside EVERYDAY. yes, its a hassle getting them all dressed, but to me, its part of the deal, and i also think its good practice for them. i dont look at it as an added chore, but more a learning experience for them. i think its important that they get fresh air everyday. (even if sometimes its only for 10 minutes) it does have to be at least 20 degrees out, with no wind chill. we did attempt 14 degrees the other day, cause the school agers were bugging to go out, but it was too cold, and took our breath away. little babies are bundled good and put in their bucket seats w/ a blanket. i have one who is just learning to walk, so he kinda crawls around a bit. the snow is too deep for anyone to navigate right now, so we mostly play on the sidewalk and on my porch. yesterday we brought out liquid watercolor in spray bottles and they spray painted the snow banks. they loved it!!!!
countrymom 05:55 AM 01-28-2011
I don't take them out, today its cold again, and by the time I dress them all and get them outside its such a hassle thats its not worth it anymore. I hate winter.
Jewels 05:59 AM 01-28-2011
ooh melskids I love the idea of the watercolors and snow.

I also take my children out everyday, as long as its 20 degrees or higher, and I live in MN, so again, we get very good winters, I;m sometimes bundling 8-9 children to go outside, takes about 45 minutes sometime, and we can stay outside for sometimes an hour, they have a blast, and I think there have only been a total of 2 weeks so far, where its been to cold in the afternoon to go out. I also consider this part of the job. even though sometimes I do not enjoy it, The best thing I have done, is make sure I have all the appropriate clothing, I have very good snow pants, boots, coat, and gloves myself, so I am always comfortable outside, which makes it easier to get the kiddos out.
WImom 06:02 AM 01-28-2011
We go out everyday unless it's really windy and the windchill is below 15. I think we've only stayed in three times so far.
Michelle 06:08 AM 01-28-2011
I live in Calif. I love to take them outside. You guys who live in the east would totally make fun of us because it will be like 55-60 degrees and I will have them looking like they are ready for Alaska... guess our blood is thin... I hate it because its usually in the 70's in the winter.... really boring , I want snow!!!!
AnythingsPossible 06:54 AM 01-28-2011
We don't go out in the winter. I hate that we don't, but that's the way it is. We have dogs that share dc outside space. In the spring/summer/fall, I keep the dog mess cleaned up everyday, religiously, in the winter it is to hard to keep on top of. Not a good reason, but it is what it is. The parents all know how we operate. I do try to get them out for walks once in awhile, but it honestly doesn't happen very often. I want to fence in another area so we can have a summer yard and a winter yard. When we have gone out in winter, my group just kind of wanders around and doesn't do much. I suppose that's my fault as for not thinking of engaging winter activities, but honestly I'm not a cold weather person so my attitude greatly effects what we do. I told my husband I want to move to Phoenix. Sure it's ungodly hot 3 months out of the year, but I think I would rather be hot for 3 months then cold for 6 or more.
ddnanny13 07:22 AM 01-28-2011
I wish we could but it seems there is always at least one child without the proper attire. One girl had no boots for a week, other boy had no snow pants, then the next week had snow pants but no mittens! Mittens I have extras of but not boots or pants... plus we then had a few -30 days that I just couldn't stand to open the door and let the kids in let alone take them outside to play. Now I have 14 months old non walker who just started so I think we will be sticking indoors until it at least hits the 40's...Summer come quick!
VTMom 07:54 AM 01-28-2011
We usually go out twice a day as long as it's at least in the teens. We're out anywhere from half an hour to an hour at a time.
Stacy214 10:00 AM 01-28-2011
I seriously commend you if you do take the babies and toddlers out in the winter/snow...but may I ask how? We don't normally get snow here (but have this year) and I have no idea what i would do with the ones who don't walk...I know this sounds like a ridiculous question but I'm originally from Florida and now in NC. Even 50 degrees chills me to the bones (I guess the good thing is my parents are great about me not taking them out). Or how about the babies, do you just keep them in a bouncy...what is your strategy lol?
lil angels 10:13 AM 01-28-2011
I am in Minnesota as well and we go out every day so long as it is not to windy and is above 20. I have a 8 month old that I bundle and them put her in her car seat and set in the stroller. The others that don't walk will crawl around on the sidewalks. I have extra clothes that I have marked so if someone forgets that is not a good reason to stay in. People do get good at bringing things and I also will let them leave a set of clothes here if they like. I think I normally enjoy it as much as they do I feel so much better at the end of the day. I normally have pickup outside then and it is so much more simple that way everyone is dressed and there is no complaining in the house that theydon't want to go home.
WImom 10:36 AM 01-28-2011
For those that say it's too cold for them...I HATE the cold but I live in WI so I have to deal with it. What I do that has helped is wear snowpants and it really keeps me alot warmer.
Missani 11:16 AM 01-28-2011
My rule book states that children must go outside daily, weather permitting. I asked my licensor what that meant and she said every day that the windchill is above 0. So, mostly, that's what we do (although I do need a day here and there to stay inside). I love taking the kids outside, but it takes the whole day so we really don't do anything else. Literally: breakfast, diapers, outside, diapers, lunch, nap, diapers, snack and it's 5:00 every day. So much for the preschool program I *used to* run. I actually am going to post this very question. BUT, to answer your question, I do take them out and I find at the beginning of winter they just stood there and the little ones cried. Now, however, they all play and have a lot of fun. I do have a 7 month old non-crawler that I bundle and put in a little toddler sled. It has a little seat with a back and a strap to buckle her in. She just sits there and watches the other kids, or I can pull her around by the attached string. The other little ones are all old enough to walk (17 months, 20 months, and 2) and they do pretty well. Sometimes they do just stand there, or cry, or busy themselves by taking off their boots, mittens, hats, or all of the above...LOL.
ammama 11:30 AM 01-28-2011
I live in Alberta, and we go out everyday, unless it is below -23 C with the wind chill. So far this winter, we have stayed inside about 14-15 days or so. My youngest is 2, so the older kids like getting out. The 2 year old sometimes complains, but on colder days, we go for walks instead of just playing outside. I have a dog too, but I know where she poops, and I go out and dig it up with the rake. I have a long wooden toboggan that we'll pull, and smaller plastic ones that the kids pull each other on. I'd go crazy if I had to stay indoors all the time!
Jewels 11:34 AM 01-28-2011
A stroller is great for a baby, I just have all toddlers and preschollers right now, well until monday, but last year I just kept my daughter in the stroller, and she loved watching the other kids, Or you can always lay a tarp down, and bring a pack n play outside. , I have 3 kids that sit and just eat snow, I have three 4 yr olds, that run all over, and one who until just they other day would cry and sit on the steps the whole time, then he would just sit on the steps, and for the first time actually started picking up snow the other day, happy or not they go out....................and if your dressed right its not bad, I decided this year to invest some money in good outdoor clothing, and I stay warm
Abigail 11:46 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
Yesterday we brought out liquid watercolor in spray bottles and they spray painted the snow banks. they loved it!!!!
Do you put food coloring in a spray bottle of water? Does this ever get messy or sprayed on other children? What a creative idea to spray the snow! As kids, all my cousins (5 boys) all had to make the biggest snowball they could, which were about three feet tall/round each! Then they had to line then up in a row in the front side yard and aunt/uncle took spray paint cans and sprayed them into a caterpillar....it stayed like that for a good two months and didn't really fade. Talk of the neighborhood years ago.

Originally Posted by Michelle:
I live in Calif. I love to take them outside. You guys who live in the east would totally make fun of us because it will be like 55-60 degrees and I will have them looking like they are ready for Alaska... guess our blood is thin... I hate it because its usually in the 70's in the winter.... really boring , I want snow!!!!
55-60 degrees is shorts and a tank top here!

Originally Posted by ddnanny13:
I wish we could but it seems there is always at least one child without the proper attire. One girl had no boots for a week, other boy had no snow pants, then the next week had snow pants but no mittens! Mittens I have extras of but not boots or pants... plus we then had a few -30 days that I just couldn't stand to open the door and let the kids in let alone take them outside to play. Now I have 14 months old non walker who just started so I think we will be sticking indoors until it at least hits the 40's...Summer come quick!
Do you require parents to leave winterwear at your house Monday-Friday? That might be a good policy to start. Even if you can't go out daily, it looks like you are which some parents might appreciate.

Originally Posted by ammama:
I live in Alberta, and we go out everyday, unless it is below -23 C with the wind chill. So far this winter, we have stayed inside about 14-15 days or so. My youngest is 2, so the older kids like getting out. The 2 year old sometimes complains, but on colder days, we go for walks instead of just playing outside. I have a dog too, but I know where she poops, and I go out and dig it up with the rake. I have a long wooden toboggan that we'll pull, and smaller plastic ones that the kids pull each other on. I'd go crazy if I had to stay indoors all the time!
WOW -23 C is still a -9 F....you must have more flexibility in temperature because we can't go out if it feels like 10 Fahrenheit which is still a -12 Celsius. It is was too cold, I would probably open a window for a few minutes to get some fresh air.
Symphony 12:11 PM 01-28-2011
We go out if it is above 0 F. We'll go months at a time below freezing, so that isn't really an option to stay in. We have some pretty elaborate snow forts most of the time around here!

I think it is so interesting how different parts of the world adjust differently to weather! Someone mentioned they are freezing at 50 degrees, we are having a freak heat wave today and it is 38. My kids over 4 have been outside for three hours in short sleeves! Every parent has exclaimed what a gorgeous day it is, my horses are frolicking around, it's awesome! I can't wait for the little ones to wake up so we can be out for the rest of the day
ammama 12:20 PM 01-28-2011
[/quote]
WOW -23 C is still a -9 F....you must have more flexibility in temperature because we can't go out if it feels like 10 Fahrenheit which is still a -12 Celsius. It is was too cold, I would probably open a window for a few minutes to get some fresh air.[/quote]

In Alberta, the rule for schools and approved government dayhomes is that you have to stay inside if it is colder than -23, including the wind chill. If the cut off was much warmer, we'd never get outside!! It's COLD here!! Anyway, my daycare families know that we spend a lot of time outdoors, and I require that the kids all have really warm snowsuits, mitts, hats, scarves, boots etc. If someone shows up without adequate clothing for the weather (and I don't have any extra's), I send their parents home to get it. Many dayhomes that I know don't go out if it's colder than -15 here, but I really like to get outside
daysofelijah 12:51 PM 01-28-2011
Honestly I don't really take them out. If we get a warm sunny day above 20 degrees and I only have one under 2 I will get them out. That has only happened once since November though. I do send my older boys out to play and they have a good time, but it's just too much work/stress/crying with the under 4 crowd.
melskids 01:08 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Do you put food coloring in a spray bottle of water? Does this ever get messy or sprayed on other children? What a creative idea to spray the snow! As kids, all my cousins (5 boys) all had to make the biggest snowball they could, which were about three feet tall/round each! Then they had to line then up in a row in the front side yard and aunt/uncle took spray paint cans and sprayed them into a caterpillar....it stayed like that for a good two months and didn't really fade. Talk of the neighborhood years ago.

its actually liquid watercolor. i bought it from discountschoolsupply.com but you could probably use food coloring. that might stain though. its not very messy, and i dont allow them to spray themselves or each other. honestly, they're having so much fun doing it to the snow, they don't really think about getting into trouble with it. i break out the spray paint cans too, to decorate snowmen. but they are only for my use. i wouldnt set the kids free with those

yesterday one child "decorated" my driveway with the bluish green color. one mom came in and said " i think someone's anti-freeze is leaking" we got a good chuckle out of it
Jewels 02:14 PM 01-28-2011
If you don't have the actual liquid watercolors, you could also just take some regular washable paints, and squirt some in a bottle and mix it with water really well. I'm definatly doing this next week, I just need to run out and get a bunch of spray bottles. so excited!
Abigail 04:14 PM 01-28-2011
yesterday one child "decorated" my driveway with the bluish green color. one mom came in and said " i think someone's anti-freeze is leaking" we got a good chuckle out of it
So funny!
momma2girls 04:52 PM 01-28-2011
I live in Iowa and the weather is far too cold, to take children out! I have 4 under the age of 3, with 3 of them being under 1 1/2. There is no way, I could even take them out, and 2 of the 4 being under one!
SilverSabre25 04:55 PM 01-28-2011
Similar to Iowa daycare, except I'm in Ohio. I have my own 3 yo, a 2.5 yo, and then every one else is under 2, with the two youngest being 15 months old and very unsteady on their feet, both of them. There's just not much for this age group to *do* outside in the ice and snow and cold. Now, next year will be fun: I'll have the same group plus 3 babies (only 2 at a time though) who will be perfect ages to be bundled up and stashed in a sling, stroller, or pack n play! The older kids (all over 2 by that point) will be able to have a blast in the snow!
Jewels 08:33 AM 01-29-2011
I completely disagree I am sorry but, my daughter is 18 months old, and i have a 17 month old, and they love it outside, even last year when they were even smaller, they loved to sit and watch the other children and I'm In MN, were more north of iowa, and its colder here...........they get so excited everyday we go out, I don't think its the kids that hate it, I think its the adult, any child will have fun outside, if they are allowed the opportunity to do so, they might not all like it at first, my 17 month old the first couple months would cry, so I would sit him on the steps and he would sit and watch, everyday he cried less, and now hes up and moving and loving it. Of course their not going to like it, if they are never given the chance to do so.
littlemissmuffet 03:57 PM 01-31-2011
i live in upstate NY, which might as well be Canada....lol

we go outside EVERYDAY. yes, its a hassle getting them all dressed, but to me, its part of the deal, and i also think its good practice for them. i dont look at it as an added chore, but more a learning experience for them. i think its important that they get fresh air everyday. (even if sometimes its only for 10 minutes) it does have to be at least 20 degrees out, with no wind chill. we did attempt 14 degrees the other day, cause the school agers were bugging to go out, but it was too cold, and took our breath away. little babies are bundled good and put in their bucket seats w/ a blanket. i have one who is just learning to walk, so he kinda crawls around a bit. the snow is too deep for anyone to navigate right now, so we mostly play on the sidewalk and on my porch. yesterday we brought out liquid watercolor in spray bottles and they spray painted the snow banks. they loved it!!!!
Agree 100%. I live in a very cold and snowy part of Canada... but I take the time to bundle each and every one up, even if we're only going out for 5-10 minutes, and I will do this sometimes 2 or 3 times a day... it's part of the deal, indeed! If there is a severe wind chill, my DH will take out the older DCKs while I stay home with the little ones.
laundrymom 05:10 PM 01-31-2011
I'm Indiana and my personal rule is over freezing over 6 months go out. Under 6 mo it must be 40.
Tags:outside play, outside play ideas
Reply Up