Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fifteen Minutes Outside
SilverSabre25 05:55 AM 01-13-2012
http://www.amazon.com/Fifteen-Minute.../dp/1402254369

I haven't read the book yet but I did read a blog about it. :P I like the idea of participating in this challenge...to get myself and the kids outside every single day for at least fifteen minutes.

No matter the weather.

Will you?
Zoe 06:03 AM 01-13-2012
I think it's a great idea. I'm not an outdoor person but it is nice to get a variety of activities to make it fun for everyone, including myself.

The only problem is in MN it gets VERY cold some days. Yesterday it was 10 degrees where I was and the wind was frigid. Ugh.

Thanks for sharing!
athomemommy 06:04 AM 01-13-2012
I really want us to get everyday. But why must it take so long to get them ready. I think they do need it and they can go out for a bit even if it's "too cold".
melskids 06:05 AM 01-13-2012
Ohhhh! Thanks! I just got it on my kindle...only $1.99!!!!

We already go outside everyday, but I love to read and learn more ideas!!!!
SilverSabre25 06:07 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Ohhhh! Thanks! I just got it on my kindle...only $1.99!!!!

We already go outside everyday, but I love to read and learn more ideas!!!!
I'm about to get it on my Nook :P
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I think it's a great idea. I'm not an outdoor person but it is nice to get a variety of activities to make it fun for everyone, including myself.

The only problem is in MN it gets VERY cold some days. Yesterday it was 10 degrees where I was and the wind was frigid. Ugh.

Thanks for sharing!
Zoe~ We spent 20 minutes getting dressed so we could walk to the front of the house and get the mail. Even those few precious minutes outside did wonders for the kiddos.... It was super cold here too but it was sooooo necessary to get those few minutes of fresh clean air....
dave4him 08:07 AM 01-13-2012
I dont let the little ones out if its too cold or hot, but we do at least get outdoors via the car and drive around..... when i do let them outside to play its like hearding cats to get them indoors and my five year old isnt any help with this..... i got four one year olds right now, one of them will be two in a few weeks though.
PitterPatter 08:12 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
http://www.amazon.com/Fifteen-Minute.../dp/1402254369

I haven't read the book yet but I did read a blog about it. :P I like the idea of participating in this challenge...to get myself and the kids outside every single day for at least fifteen minutes.

No matter the weather.

Will you?
I would love to take them out every day but this whole week it's been raining, muddy and cold. I allowed them out for 30 minutes the other day and oh my the mud I had to scrape off of 8 shoes and off of the porch carpet!! Now it's all icey and freezing with high winds. 1 DCM throws a fit when I take the kids out in winter. She claims the cold will cause everyone to get ear infections and need drainage tubes! She said we better wait until spring to venture out. pppffft NOT!

My kid goes out in the snow, never had an ear infection from it yet!
Meyou 08:12 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Zoe~ We spent 20 minutes getting dressed so we could walk to the front of the house and get the mail. Even those few precious minutes outside did wonders for the kiddos.... It was super cold here too but it was sooooo necessary to get those few minutes of fresh clean air....

We go meet my dd coming from school every day. Even that 15-20 minutes changes them and me! We come in refreshed and ready to do something new. If it's nicer out we stay outside for as long as possible but if it isn't we still get some fresh air twice a day.

I can get them dressed in 15 minutes but only because I have 2 super helpful 5 year olds that love to do zippers and help the little ones. If I'm going to do a craft with them it takes 15 minutes to set up and only 15 minutes (or less) to complete the craft. Outside (and the work involved) feels the same to me.
quailsgarden 08:12 AM 01-13-2012
We go outside everyday and I am always up for new ideas. Last year I think we only stayed inside once when it was-25C with heavy wind.
SilverSabre25 08:15 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I would love to take them out every day but this whole week it's been raining, muddy and cold. I allowed them out for 30 minutes the other day and oh my the mud I had to scrape off of 8 shoes and off of the porch carpet!! Now it's all icey and freezing with high winds. 1 DCM throws a fit when I take the kids out in winter. She claims the cold will cause everyone to get ear infections and need drainage tubes! She said we better wait until spring to venture out. pppffft NOT!

My kid goes out in the snow, never had an ear infection from it yet!
In those kinds of conditions I would just have them play in the driveway, or run up and down the sidewalk in front of the house or something.
SilverSabre25 08:17 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
I dont let the little ones out if its too cold or hot, but we do at least get outdoors via the car and drive around..... when i do let them outside to play its like hearding cats to get them indoors and my five year old isnt any help with this..... i got four one year olds right now, one of them will be two in a few weeks though.
yeah....the car doesn't count dave, sorry.

With that many one year olds I wouldn't do it with dcks without a helper. You could still get your own kids out though. Let them go out during the other kids' naps.
Zoe 09:44 AM 01-13-2012
You guys are absolutely right. Outside time is very important. I just hate going out when it's so cold. We do it anyway, but I hate it.

I'm very interested to see any tips for something to do outside when it's cold to keep busy, for both provider and child. My DS and the regular preschooler I have are big wusses for the cold as well. If it's warm, there's no problem. I just need everyone to forget about it being cold I guess.
Ariana 09:46 AM 01-13-2012
We get out at least once a day unless it's really cold (so chance of frostbite is high) or really hot (heat wave so chance of overheating). Other than this we're outside rain or shine. My favorite is getting everyone in their splash pants and going for walks in the rain!!
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
You guys are absolutely right. Outside time is very important. I just hate going out when it's so cold. We do it anyway, but I hate it.

I'm very interested to see any tips for something to do outside when it's cold to keep busy, for both provider and child. My DS and the regular preschooler I have are big wusses for the cold as well. If it's warm, there's no problem. I just need everyone to forget about it being cold I guess.
Zoe, I think the trick to bearing cold winter weather is not finding activities for the kids to do outside but just being out there. I mean I would freeze my butt off (I wish..LOL! ) standing outside while the kids played as if it were summer. NOT gonna happen so instead of what we normally do in the summer.

We use winter for short walks or super structured games. We walk around our block and I pull the littles in a sled while the big ones walk. It is slow and hard sometimes due to the massive amounts of winter clothing but breathing the fresh air is the point so even if we only make it ten steps away from my driveway and turn around and go back, the mission was successful...kwim?
dave4him 12:46 PM 01-13-2012
What if i strap them to the hood one at a time
Meyou 12:52 PM 01-13-2012
I have a large wagon that can fit 4 under 18 months if needed. That could be something some of you with lots of babies could look for. It's larger than the normal wagons. I park it at the bottom of the stairs so I can load the wagon with an open front door and still see everyone.
dave4him 01:01 PM 01-13-2012
Actually when it was nearly 70 here a week ago, i did put the two girls in a double stroller, and the two boys in the wagon while my daugther rode her bike. I hooked my belt to the wagon and dragged the boys behind me while i pushed the girls. I didnt make it too long.... but im sure it was a sight
KEG123 01:32 PM 01-13-2012
Warm months are no prob going outside, but getting 4 bigs ready and my little 3 month old is harder.
Tags:ouside temp, outside play, outside time
Reply Up