Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Enjoying Running Daycare
WAHMderful_Life 03:10 PM 03-10-2016
I know burnout is really high in this field and i have only been at this since 2013 but omg i am so bored of running my own daycare. really not enjoying it anymore.

I will be closing in September for a yrs mat leave and I can't wait. I will be re opening the next yr as I can't afford to work out of home and pay for daycare plus I want to be home with my kids.

how on earth do you guys stay sane doing the same thing day in and day out. although that can be said for other jobs too I guess. But I think its more the lack of adult interaction or something I don't know. Or just being home to much maybe.

When I start up again I'm going to try and go for older children vs the younger ones as i find younger ones are way more stressful and I prefer not to take them on outings. We are also hoping to move and get daycare into more its own space and a bigger space. I just have a bedroom as a toy room right now.

just so bored!
MissAnn 03:23 PM 03-10-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
I know burnout is really high in this field and i have only been at this since 2013 but omg i am so bored of running my own daycare. really not enjoying it anymore.

I will be closing in September for a yrs mat leave and I can't wait. I will be re opening the next yr as I can't afford to work out of home and pay for daycare plus I want to be home with my kids.

how on earth do you guys stay sane doing the same thing day in and day out. although that can be said for other jobs too I guess. But I think its more the lack of adult interaction or something I don't know. Or just being home to much maybe.

When I start up again I'm going to try and go for older children vs the younger ones as i find younger ones are way more stressful and I prefer not to take them on outings. We are also hoping to move and get daycare into more its own space and a bigger space. I just have a bedroom as a toy room right now.

just so bored!
I go through this a lot. What helps me is to focus on the good. When a kid gives you a hug. When apparent tells you thank you or notices something the child has learned and gives you credit for it. Sometimes even something as simple as a nice snack for just you while the kids are napping.

Put in effort into the good you are doing . When a child has a lightbulb moment give yourself credit for that. When a kid eats a vegetable that he would never eat before give yourself credit for that.

Looking forward to more replies.....I need the advice as well!
Thriftylady 03:41 PM 03-10-2016
I do it by making sure I am doing a lot of great stuff for and with the kids. Right now I am working hard with one on preK stuff, but he loves it! And it is great to see him learning. Pay attention to see them thriving, that is what makes a huge difference. One of my school agers here said tonight "I love it here because of the crafts". That made my day! So I guess I am saying just watch for the little things that make it all worth it!

Making the menus, now that makes me sad. I hate that part!
hope 03:49 PM 03-10-2016
The burn out is very real. I find the stress of keeping everyone safe and happy is harder than the boredom. When I am stressed I try to exercise, plan healthier meals to give me more energy to get through the day, take walks at night to clear my head. On a particularly bad day DH will offer to bbq or go out to eat. I plan some me time into each day. A little after 9am everyday I make myself a cup of coffee and I sit and drink it. I can see and hear all the dcks but it is my time. Oh, I look forward to this because from 7am till then is crazy. Most problems can wait 4 minutes till I'm done with my cup. I enjoy lunch time with the kids. I sit and eat with them and really try not to think about what needs to get done. I just enjoy the conversion with them. As for boredom, I try to incorporate some of my interests into the day. I recently started making homemade candy. So I do that here and there with the kids and package it up for their parents. In the summer I do some gardening with them. I try to include all the kids in meal prep....it eats up some time, doesn't feel like such a chore and I'm not alone then doing it. I play music every day. Try not to look at each task as something that needs to get done. Stop and think what you would like to be doing if you had a free day to yourself and then include the kids in on the fun.
childcaremom 12:33 AM 03-11-2016
I get this way, too. Especially this time of year when we have tended to be indoors more.

Some things that help me are to increase the amount of time outside. Even if it's multiple, short bursts. Put some new things out for them, usually messy or sensory things, because kids love doing it and I don't mind cleaning up the end results. I rearrange the inside at least once a month. Set up centres. Make it open. Put out new toys. Etc. We might spend a month doing tons of art activities. Or none. I will go to the library and get a huge bag of books. I will either up my planning and structured activities or let it go.

Outside of daycare hours, I make sure to get out of the house. 2-3 times during the week. Even if it's just to the grocery store or library. Also on the weekends. I just finished a weekend workshop and, have to say, I feel so recharged after that.

It has really helped that I set up the daycare area in a way that I liked. (soothing colours, fabric wall hangings, natural wooden furniture and accents) I enjoy spending time in the room when we are there.
Josiegirl 02:16 AM 03-11-2016
Find some really good trainings to attend! That always helps to restart my motor, gives me new ideas and inspiration. Music definitely helps me, and sometimes it's okay to put on music WE enjoy. Not just 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed.
Try to socialize as much as you can, as others said, even if it's just a couple times a week. I'm 100% an introvert but even I love to get out and visit the library, stop and talk to someone, just to talk to someone over 32" tall. I pity the person who dares to flash a smile my way.
Get silly with those little ones. They'll love you for it. The sillier the better! Plant jelly beans and in a couple days, put a lollipop in the pot. Cut out giant footprints and place them all around, then make up stories and songs and play with it. We have the best times with our Twister game not playing by the rules. One day it was just being a boring ho-hum day for everybody. So I dragged out the playdoh, ho-hum. But then I don't know where it came from but I started singing the silliest made-up song and just kept going. We were all in hysterics and had the best time. Music, laughter, silliness, just get back to being with the dcks in mind and body. You don't have to perform. You don't have to be perfect or teach all day. Simply be 'with' them.
While you're out on maternity you can also plan how to start fresh. Maybe only work 4 days a week when you reopen. Or take a day off a month to rejuvenate.
Good luck!!
Miss A 06:12 AM 03-11-2016
Find the little things in each day that you enjoy, that are not necessarily related to daycare. Do you enjoy that morning cup if coffee, or in my case that morning caffeine free Mt. Dew? Do you enjoy planning a healthy meal for your family, and making it at the end of the day? While the kids are playing nicely, and need no intervention from yourself, what do you do to savor those few quiet moments?

I personally play music throughout the day, a mix of both children's music and my preferences. I love when the kids know the words to their favorite songs and sing along, it always brings a smile to my face. Even the 10 mi th old in my care has a favorite, and as soon as the sing starts she drops what she is doing and starts dancing. She really likes to be in the walker, because she can keep up with the older ones and their dance moves.

Sometimes it is just getting outside and instructing the kids to 'go play'. We all need those moments of peace.
TwinMama 06:16 AM 03-11-2016
I agree with all of this. I also think that it makes a big difference about who you choose for kids, and how many kids you have.

Today I only have 3 kids here and I feel like I have a vacation day. I know it sounds bad, but I'm anxious for my one dcb to start pre k. He'll only be here half days then. He's not naughty, but he's just different and tends to get the other kids riled up.

When he's not here they all play calmly and really nice together. He tends to get loud and try and turn activities into craziness. He needs a lot of redirection. That can make my days not so fun. He's really come a long way and is starting to understand what behavior is ok and what is not though.

I feel like there are a lot of things with this job though that you can do to make your days a little more enjoyable.

I start out my day in the main kitchen/living room part of my house. Then we either go outside or in the playroom area. It makes it new and exciting for me, and the kids too.

I understand about the cup of coffee that the other person posted. I have a special mug that I have my tea in. It's the little things.
Annalee 06:25 AM 03-11-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
I agree with all of this. I also think that it makes a big difference about who you choose for kids, and how many kids you have.

Today I only have 3 kids here and I feel like I have a vacation day. I know it sounds bad, but I'm anxious for my one dcb to start pre k. He'll only be here half days then. He's not naughty, but he's just different and tends to get the other kids riled up.

When he's not here they all play calmly and really nice together. He tends to get loud and try and turn activities into craziness. He needs a lot of redirection. That can make my days not so fun. He's really come a long way and is starting to understand what behavior is ok and what is not though.

I feel like there are a lot of things with this job though that you can do to make your days a little more enjoyable.

I start out my day in the main kitchen/living room part of my house. Then we either go outside or in the playroom area. It makes it new and exciting for me, and the kids too.

I understand about the cup of coffee that the other person posted. I have a special mug that I have my tea in. It's the little things.
I agree with picking/choosing whom you take for clients. The last few I have contracted their hours.....they are 7-3 clients. I still struggle on days, though, as I feel we are all getting older and life throws some curves....I used to be able to balance 10 things at once, but don't feel I can do that anymore leading to life issues stressing me more. A good 30 minute walk helps a whole lot....that is when I am disciplined enough to actually do it
Ariana 07:19 AM 03-11-2016
Childcare isn't for everyone!! Some people find it harder than others and that is perfectly ok. I wouldn't be able to work in a cubicle all day either

My own thoughts of helplessness is what lead me to major burnout a while ago. Becoming aware of what your thoughts are and trying to be mindful of them is key I think. Change the things you can change. Come up with a few ways to beat the boredom. I find boredom is the worst for me too so I started making a weekly schedule of things to do. At the same time I had to let go of my expectations of how things "should" be. I "should" be doing XYZ was causing me a lot of problems. When I started having less expectations tings got a lot better. Find some sort of meaning in your day and gratitude for the things that are going right will set the tone for a good day.
Cat Herder 08:56 AM 03-11-2016
One of my inspectors/trainers said "If you are bored working in childcare, you are doing it wrong."

I did not say she was my favorite inspector. The fact is that statement stung me a bit because I knew she was right. I have since stepped up my game in a big way.

I was never eligible for maternity leave. In my field, in my earlier years, getting pregnant generally meant losing your job. Daycare has given me financial stability. THAT is what keeps me going.

One more year until I am living in an empty nest. I will have to decide for sure if I am off to a new adventure, or sticking with my safety net after that. Hmmm.... choices, choices.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:51 AM 03-11-2016
It is one of the biggest occupational hazards of our field and I think everyone feels it at one time or another. One thing that definitely helps me is to get out to an "adult" event like a workshop at least once a month. You could also try to develop relationships with other providers in your community for some more adult conversation and interaction.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 03-11-2016
I have more trouble with the loneliness/isolation than boredom.

I would be totally bored if I didn't run my program like a preschool. While I'm play-based I love planning, offering creative art experiences, cooking with kids, our short circle time, etc. I adore literacy activities and do tons with flannel board and interactive prop stories, weekly reader, etc. I love having a little science area and other learning centers. This keeps me on the top of my game!

I do have two dedicated day care rooms we added on years ago. That's just me....I couldn't handle it right in my living room. We're all different, but that's what I personally need to do this job.

I have loved attending continuing Ed classes over the years.

I'm a teacher at heart and have taught kindergarten and preschool. I need that in my child care life also and the kids thrive too! I see my program as an early learning center.

Years ago I went out and taught at a half day preschool two half days a week. Did that for nine years. That saved me! I needed the adult interaction. Those days are long gone with all day 4k taking over here.

I now am done one day a week at 12:30... I have a sub come in. That gets me out, I can go to a nice once a month coffee group, go to lunch with friends, go hang at a local, funky cafe, etc.

Years ago I had a good provider friend that I'd meet at a local park once a week.. That helped too. While she has moved I've had to figure out other ways to get out.

I love to sit and relax on my porch, I have a big yard that borders the woods, I get outside and enjoy it, i go for bike rides, visit relatives, etc.

Find time to reward yourself and/or do fun little things. I love to run to the local coffee shop grab a coffee each morning and sometimes sit in a nature area. I go hiking during my afternoons off sometimes too.
TwinMama 08:08 AM 03-12-2016
Thank you for this post. It's actually inspiring me.
WAHMderful_Life 11:19 AM 03-12-2016
Thank you so much for all the advice everyone, its awesome and very helpful. Feeling a little better this now as all our snow is basically gone

I think its a mix of feeling loneliness without adult interactions as some else said and boredom. Also as someone else said depends on the kids you have. 2 are awesome but the other 2 younger ones give me a hard time and I really don't enjoy them (sounds so bad, and makes me feel awful that I just can't wait for them to go home).They are just difficult. One is spoiled and the other I'm not sure if he is just slower in speech or if theres and issue but mom won't talk about it as other kids in the family were slow too, but he also seems a bit OCD and just gets upset easy and god can he scream.

Keep the advice and ideas coming Its a huge help, and sounds like it may be of help to others also feeling in a rut.

On another note super excited to go see our peanut for the first time on ultrasound today.
spedmommy4 06:05 AM 03-13-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
Thank you so much for all the advice everyone, its awesome and very helpful. Feeling a little better this now as all our snow is basically gone

I think its a mix of feeling loneliness without adult interactions as some else said and boredom. Also as someone else said depends on the kids you have. 2 are awesome but the other 2 younger ones give me a hard time and I really don't enjoy them (sounds so bad, and makes me feel awful that I just can't wait for them to go home).They are just difficult. One is spoiled and the other I'm not sure if he is just slower in speech or if theres and issue but mom won't talk about it as other kids in the family were slow too, but he also seems a bit OCD and just gets upset easy and god can he scream.

Keep the advice and ideas coming Its a huge help, and sounds like it may be of help to others also feeling in a rut.

On another note super excited to go see our peanut for the first time on ultrasound today.
Yay on seeing the baby. That's so exciting!

And I think it helps to identity WHY you are not enjoying it. I'll give you my story. I did this 8 years ago and hated it. I worked long hours, took all ages, and let parents walk all over me. I was miserable.

Now, I work 7-5:30. I have a 34 page handbook and 4 page financial contract that I strictly enforce. I only accept children ages 2-6 and I run a preschool program in the morning and afternoon. I take all holidays and have a sub on call for when I need a day off. All this is what I wanted my business to be.

For socialization, I joined our county childcare association and became a board member. I joined our city group of providers and participate in all their events. And I attend lots of trainings so I can meet people who are doing what I do. Opportunities are out there, you just need to see what's available in your community.

I still have frustrating days sometimes but I would have that at any job. Overall I love being my own boss and making my own rules.
MunchkinWrangler 11:36 AM 03-14-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Childcare isn't for everyone!! Some people find it harder than others and that is perfectly ok. I wouldn't be able to work in a cubicle all day either

My own thoughts of helplessness is what lead me to major burnout a while ago. Becoming aware of what your thoughts are and trying to be mindful of them is key I think. Change the things you can change. Come up with a few ways to beat the boredom. I find boredom is the worst for me too so I started making a weekly schedule of things to do. At the same time I had to let go of my expectations of how things "should" be. I "should" be doing XYZ was causing me a lot of problems. When I started having less expectations tings got a lot better. Find some sort of meaning in your day and gratitude for the things that are going right will set the tone for a good day.
I'm glad to hear you say this!! I have felt like the OP but thought it was the winter blues getting to me. OP Ariana is right, sometimes the burden of other's expectations(licensing, parents, even other daycare providers) can be overwhelming. I've realized some 'by the book' stuff is a bunch of hocus pocus and isn't realistic with what caring for children really is like, especially depending on their ages. I have learned to let go and say yeah we had animal crackers for snack and a popsicle for a treat today, so what the kids had fun and it put a smile on their face. I think also, which is something I'm still working on, is finding that balance. When you're running daycare out of your home, I've realized it can feel suffocating sometimes, I don't have a seperate daycare space but make sure my own bedroom is completely off limits to daycare, so you are always thinking of what needs to be done, etc. On weekends, I leave and stay gone, have fun with my son and visit family. I also plan daycare errands so I don't feel it encroaches on my personal time. I hope you either come to terms and start feeling better about it or you find something else that you love to do! Best of luck to you!
Tags:bored at daycare, boredom, burnout, burnt out, tired of daycare
Reply Up