Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Movie Choices For Children
Jenjo 11:42 AM 06-17-2011
Every Friday we watch a movie for quiet time, It is a day the kids really look forward to. I was going through the instant netflix movies, 6yo DCG sees Scary Movie 2 and says hey that is a good movie. I looked at her and said you have seen that and she says yeah, we have all of them. I said doesn't your dad watch those after your in bed, she says no he lets me watch them with him. I knew she watched some questionable movies but really a rated R movie for a 6 year old. Sorry all I have to say is WOW!
dEHmom 12:07 PM 06-17-2011
the kid across the street sometimes plays with my kids. he's almost a full year older than my daughter who is 6. 2 summers ago he was over playing, so he would've been 5 at the time. they were playing Jason. I discovered that he was referring to the horror movie Jason (is that halloween?) i couldn't believe it. a 5 yr old watching movies where a masked murderer walks around chopping people with a chainsaw. c'mon really?

and growing up my old babysitter across the backlane, i was probably 3 or 4 at the time, let her kids (son was 1 yr younger than me, and daughter was 3 yrs younger than me) watch Chucky. My dad reamed her out for letting me watch it. and I was older than both of her kids.
elle73 12:19 PM 06-17-2011
My brother inlaws exgirlfriend was watching my daughter one night and when we came home they were watching a horror movie, I don't watch them so I don't know which one it was but I was so mad and told her off my daughter was 4yrs old at the time, after I told her off she had the nerve to say to me that I was too over protective and that I had to learn to let go

My brother inlaw was so mad when I told him, maybe that's why they broke up lol
Zoe 02:33 PM 06-17-2011
That's pretty ridiculous. Scary Movie 2?!? Forget about the language, horror stuff, and gross out factor. That has graphic cartoon sexual stuff. Ick. I hate those movies and go do something else when DH wants to watch it.

It's funny how some people subject their children (or other people's children) to R rated movies and here I am still struggling with whether to let my kids watch the Harry Potter movies or the Nightmare Before Christmas! I don't want them to see anything that would give them nightmares at such a young age. I don't know what some people are thinking. I honestly don't.
daycare 02:49 PM 06-17-2011
During the rainy season we would also watch a Netflix movie on Fridays.
I was scrolling through and one of my 2.5 year olds yelled yeah let's watch south park! WTH who let's any child of any age watch thAt show.

My son is 15 and he's not allowed to watch it.
I was so shocked I confronted the parents about it. They acted as if I were crazy. They thought it was a very funny show and admitted to watching it as a family. Ugh
dEHmom 03:11 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I was scrolling through and one of my 2.5 year olds yelled yeah let's watch south park! WTH who let's any child of any age watch thAt show.

I was so shocked I confronted the parents about it. They acted as if I were crazy. They thought it was a very funny show and admitted to watching it as a family. Ugh
when I was 15 I don't think I understood the majority of the stuff they were talking about on south park. BUT NOW I DO!

My kids are aged 3-7 and they LOVE harry potter. My 3 yo is obsessed with Harry Potter right now.

But they are watching the first few, not the newer ones. When Harry was a lot younger.
skittles 06:38 PM 06-17-2011
Hi everyone,
I have two three year old little boys both from different homes who are both allowed to watch the movie Iron Man. I have not personally seen anything but the preview, but I have seen how they act it out together. They also discuss parts of the movie with each other, it does not seem appropriate for little guys at this age. not to sure about it.
Zoe 06:54 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
when I was 15 I don't think I understood the majority of the stuff they were talking about on south park. BUT NOW I DO!

My kids are aged 3-7 and they LOVE harry potter. My 3 yo is obsessed with Harry Potter right now.

But they are watching the first few, not the newer ones. When Harry was a lot younger.
My kids are 3 and 5. Honestly I think the 3 yo could handle the first one, but my 5 yo gets scared easily. It's too bad because I LOVE Harry Potter. I agree with you though, only the first few.

Originally Posted by skittles:
Hi everyone,
I have two three year old little boys both from different homes who are both allowed to watch the movie Iron Man. I have not personally seen anything but the preview, but I have seen how they act it out together. They also discuss parts of the movie with each other, it does not seem appropriate for little guys at this age. not to sure about it.
Iron Man, in my opinion isn't that bad. Yes, there's violence, of course. But not a lot of language and no adult scenes. I think personally, it's a judgment call with the super hero films.
Michael 07:08 PM 06-17-2011
More movie suggestions: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24924
GretasLittleFriends 08:12 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

I was a young mom, and would go to the bowling alley on Wednesday nights for a late dinner and social hour with a bunch of friends. The bowling alley did have a dinner area (where we were) and a room full of toys for the little ones. My daughter would often wander out and watch South Park with us. She was between 2 and 3 years old. She saw a cartoon. She LOVED it, but couldn't tell you anything about it. That was when it was fairly new and not quite as controversial as it is now.

Originally Posted by dEHmom:

My own kids love Harry Potter, and I'll admit I enjoy them too. We have read all 7 books. My kids are 15 and 6. I'll let my own 6yr old watch the new HP movies, but I have read the books to him. I will only let the daycare kids watch the first two movies.

I have a dcg (8) who watches ALL kinds of movies with her dad. She doesn't seem to understand why certain movies are inappropriate for children her age or younger... One example was she wanted to watch The Godfather here... Um, NO.
dEHmom 08:47 AM 06-18-2011
I know there have been previous topics on kids shows/movies before.

But I've been thinking about it alot, and violence in kids shows/movies nowdays isn't much different than when we were growing up. Look at Bugs Bunny. I mean I love those cartoons, it didn't make me go and hurt people, try play with dynamite, or shoot someone with a gun. What I think the issues with things like scary movies, violent movies, or bad language movies are that it's a parents responsibility to teach the children the difference between what they see on tv and real life, but many parents don't. I don't think it's in the best interest to allow children unrelated to watch these of course, but for parents at home it's different. Lots of parents just let their kids have and do whatever they want. And that includes watching bad movies. ALSO, for kids of younger ages, who have much older siblings, or even parents with inappropriate movies, sometimes they can get away with seeing things they probably shouldn't without a parent even realizing it. Does that make sense? Even if big brother Johnny has nudies under his pillow, there's a good chance that 5 yo billy will see those.

I had not seen the harry potter movies, and I never read the books. But I have watched the first 3 movies with my kids, and we watched the 5th movie on tv the other night, but it was on so late that we didn't watch the whole thing. I don't think the violence in the Harry potter movies is bad violence, and as for the scary content of it, everyone is different. My kids are not afraid of it, but they were afraid of the the sponge on "it came from beneath the sink" or whatever goosebumps episode. lol. I have the entire collection of Are you Afraid of the Dark, and we watch it as a family together. Of course it's not scary for us, and it doesn't even scare my kids (ages 3-almost 7!) but if you watch it too late at night, or when they are too tired, it could scare them more than if they watched it during the day.

It all falls down on the parents. I don't think that parents who let their kids watch most shows are bad parents. Unless maybe they are but I might be one of those parents. I think it comes down to the maturity of the children, how sensitive or desensitized they may be. For kids who've only ever watched baby shows on treehouse, somethings may be scary for them. For kids like mine who've watched many of our shows when we are watching them, follow the news with us (which we explain many things to them) and know the difference between real and not real, it's not so bad.

Just last night, they showed on the news a picture of a dead little girl. It was very sad, but there was a little girl found still alive on a playground slide. Someone called the police because something wasn't right. They brought the girl to the hospital but she died. Because they had no id on this little girl, they did a one time showing of a picture of the girl after she was deceased. She was then identified because of that, and they won't provide any more info or show the picture again because of it. But my children were watching.
Kaddidle Care 06:44 AM 06-19-2011
I don't usually let my son watch the news believe it or not because of that type of thing. Some of the news stations at least give a warning if there is a graphic photo but others just blare it up there.

As far as Harry Potter - Big HUGE fan here. My youngest has been watching them but is also quite familiar with the books as we like to read them aloud. While I will let him see the last one he has been warned that it will be extremely violent and he will probably cry. He still wants to see it. (The trailers look awesome.)

If you're letting littles watch any of the series, I would only recomend the first one - and probably only the first hour of it. My son used to be afraid of the scene where Hagrid accidentally breaks down the door. You never know what a child will be afraid of. If they are really little I wouldn't let them watch the library scene where he wears the special cloak nor would I let them watch the end. That could be pretty horrifying.

A couple of my favorite movies for children are: Milo and Otis and Babe.
(I still think "Farmer Hoggett" should have been the new Dumbledore - he fits the book description to a T.)
laundrymom 03:50 AM 06-20-2011
We have no screentime for day friends here but some movie suggestions my kids loved when little were, hotel for dogs, Polly, cool runnings, see spot run, sand lot , clockstoppers, george of jungle, flipper, Casper, home alone, we watched bill nye, zoom, electric company, veggie tales, wishbone, betwwe the lions,
Some shows we watch now that may not be appropriate for others my Childs age, or questionable in some peoples eyes are whale wars, leverage, warehouse 13, deadliest catch, wipeout, undercover boss, & white collar. But my 10 yr old loves them.
Kaddidle Care 04:35 AM 06-20-2011
Sand Lot, while an excellent movie has language issues for me. I've noticed the older PG movies have quite a bit of foul language as opposed to the newer PG movies. Times have changed.

I'm especially tuned into foul language as my son is rather obsessed with it. He's nearly 10 and all his friends in school say every bad word in the book. Let's just say this summer has had a rough start because of it. He'll have a clean mouth by the end of summer, one way or another.

One movie we ALL enjoyed here was Aliens in the Attic. hehe! It still makes me chuckle.
Jenjo 09:04 AM 06-20-2011
Talking of older PG movies and there language, one Friday for our special movie day I let them watch "Harry and the Hendersons" thinking I saw this when I was a little girl and it was cute. My parents were very strict about what we were allowed to watch. First I saw the edited version, second that was a long time ago. I had to turn it off immediately because of the language. I am much more careful with our movie choices on Friday's. Thank you for the movie suggestions I will look into the ones I have not shared with the kids.
Kaddidle Care 06:27 PM 06-20-2011
This site is a good check to see if a movie is appropriate for children.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

The higher numbers are bad, low numbers are good.
Tags:movie suggestions
Reply Up