Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Kidding Me???
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:04 AM 02-07-2012
So a friend who uses me for drop ins once in a while called and asked me if I could watch her son today.

I said sure bring him by.

She said I have to work at ten so I will drop him off at 9:45.

Half an hour goes by and she still hasnt shown up. So I go up to see if maybe she is outside and low and behold her son is just standing in my foyer all by himself. Standing there for a half hour all by himself.

Not only that, its not the right son. The one she left here is supposed to be at school. He is in Grade 1.

She just opened my door threw him in and didnt even make a peep. Not a Hi or a Bye.

I cant believe the gall of some people.

Do I say something to her? My hubby called her a twit and said dont watch these kids anymore.
Crazy8 10:07 AM 02-07-2012
ummm... I would have been on the phone with her the INSTANT I found him there and he would have stayed there until she came back for him because he's probably not in school because he is sick!!!!
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 02-07-2012
I would definitely say something.....

I would be very clear that was inexcusable, beyond rude and dangerous.....
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:09 AM 02-07-2012
I called her right away and she didnt answer her phone.

He is not sick either. I asked him where his brother is and he said at daycare.

I then asked him why he is not in school and he said he didnt want to go.

Im really confused
SandeeAR 10:12 AM 02-07-2012
Just wondering. Have you ever kept "this kid" before? Do you even keep school age?
daycare 10:13 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
So a friend who uses me for drop ins once in a while called and asked me if I could watch her son today.

Half an hour goes by and she still hasnt shown up. So I go up to see if maybe she is outside and low and behold her son is just standing in my foyer all by himself. Standing there for a half hour all by himself.

Not only that, its not the right son. The one she left here is supposed to be at school. He is in Grade 1.

She just opened my door threw him in and didnt even make a peep. Not a Hi or a Bye.

Do I say something to her? My hubby called her a twit and said dont watch these kids anymore.
of course you say something to her. WOW. honey you can't let that happen again. What if the kid wondered off, or walked back at the door after mom, ran out into the street or etc. I can think of a million things to say to that mom, none which are nice. That mom should have the book thrown at her.

I would be calling mom right now and telling her that will never happen again.

Do you not have that in your PHB that parents must make communicate with you before picking up or dropping off their child??
Blackcat31 10:15 AM 02-07-2012

mrsp'slilpeeps 10:17 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Just wondering. Have you ever kept "this kid" before? Do you even keep school age?
yes I have had him here before, but he was in kindy. its his younger brother that comes here more often.
MamaBear 10:17 AM 02-07-2012
That is really odd. I hope she returns your call soon. I'm confused too! lol
permanentvacation 10:19 AM 02-07-2012
I would have called her immediately - since you didn't, I suggest that you call her now and demand that she come to get her son and NEVER use you for childcare again!

By her leaving her child at your home, you are liable for his safety - EVEN though you had NO CLUE he was there! If that child had gotten hurt, kidnapped, decided to walk off your property and go wherever he pleased, YOU would be liable for him.

Yeah, you should call his mother, have her come get her child and let her know that you will never watch her children again - this is for your liability and to keep you from possibly going to jail one day for what was actually her actions.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:22 AM 02-07-2012
The more I get to know her the weirder she gets. I have known her for about 3 yrs.

She used to be my ds preschool teacher.

On friday i was driving through the parking lot at the grocery store and there was her youngest sitting on top of her SUV while she was in the store.
SandeeAR 10:25 AM 02-07-2012
The more I get to know her the weirder she gets. I have known her for about 3 yrs.

She used to be my ds preschool teacher.

On friday i was driving through the parking lot at the grocery store and there was her youngest sitting on top of her SUV while she was in the store.
No way would I keep her kids. Something IS going to happen to her kids at some point and she is going to try and blame you. Nope, not worth any amount of money to me.

Frankly, when I saw her kid on top of the car, I would have been calling the police to find her and rescue the kid! What if a preditor had picked the kid up off the top of the car?????
MrsB 10:27 AM 02-07-2012
How about you call her up and say why hasnt she dropped her son of yet. Hehehe. Oh and I want to be the fly on the wall when she realizes she just left him there and now he is missing.
TBird 10:28 AM 02-07-2012
And get this....SHE would scream on YOU if anything had happened to him!!! If you're licensed (even if you're not) she's the kind who would get your licensed revoked or get you shut down one way or another.
karen 10:28 AM 02-07-2012
How strange!!!!! Dare I ask how young her son is to be sitting on top of her car while she is in the store!
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:40 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by karen:
How strange!!!!! Dare I ask how young her son is to be sitting on top of her car while she is in the store!
Her youngest is 4.
daycare 10:41 AM 02-07-2012
Her youngest is 4.
her 4 year old was sitting on top of a car alone in a parking lot? That is not legal.....well at least not here in my state...
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:43 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
No way would I keep her kids. Something IS going to happen to her kids at some point and she is going to try and blame you. Nope, not worth any amount of money to me.

Frankly, when I saw her kid on top of the car, I would have been calling the police to find her and rescue the kid! What if a preditor had picked the kid up off the top of the car?????
I called her and told that ****** was sitting on top of her truck.
karen 10:43 AM 02-07-2012
Can I just say......Hope nobody gets offended by this....BUT SOME PEOPLE REALLY SHOULD NOT BE PARENTS!
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:43 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
her 4 year old was sitting on top of a car alone in a parking lot? That is not legal.....well at least not here in my state...
It's not legal in my province either!
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:44 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by karen:
Can I just say......Hope nobody gets offended by this....BUT SOME PEOPLE REALLY SHOULD NOT BE PARENTS!
Not offended here!
daycare 10:46 AM 02-07-2012
It's not legal in my province either!
I would have called the cops or CPS on this lady the second I saw that....and she used to be a preschool teacher? holy cow.....
Lilbutterflie 10:48 AM 02-07-2012
I can't believe what I am reading. I wouldn't watch these children anymore. Too much liability involved with a parent who would leave her child unattended without the daycare provider knowing he was there.

Did you ever get to talk with her about it? I wonder what she said???
blessedmess8 10:53 AM 02-07-2012
That is nuts!!!!!!!!!
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:17 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I can't believe what I am reading. I wouldn't watch these children anymore. Too much liability involved with a parent who would leave her child unattended without the daycare provider knowing he was there.

Did you ever get to talk with her about it? I wonder what she said???
No she is working so she wont answer her phone.
itlw8 11:29 AM 02-07-2012
so call the business she works at and tell them it is an emergency and she needs to come get her child immediately. They will go give her the message. Then tell her if she is not her in 20 minutes you will call the police and report and abandoned child. Then follow through.
countrymom 11:30 AM 02-07-2012
keep calling her, if she doesn't answer call her back up. Tell them that she dropped the wrong child off and that he needs to be in school. Something is up. I know kids don't want to go to school but he's 6, since when can he decide. And why is the other child going to daycare and to your house.
emmajo 11:31 AM 02-07-2012
One thing I've never understood is how a parent can NOT answer the phone when their day care provider calls them, or have someone answer and take a message. What if it's an emergency?!
daycare 11:32 AM 02-07-2012
yeah guess I missed that...if he is 6 why isnt he in school??
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 02-07-2012
Ok, seriously?!?!! Why are you not on the phone calling her place of employment, have her paged if necessary!!!

I would be telling her that she has xx amount of minutes to retrieve her ABANDONED child from your house!!!

I don't know if you are licensed or not but, where I live, I can be in trouble for having a school age child in care when school is in session since I also do not provide sick care. This child is truant from school!!

This is the rudest most disrespectful thing I have ever heard!! I would also be reporting this to not only my licensor but to social services as well.

This woman is NOT your friend! If she were she would NEVER in a million years put you or her child in this situation.

....just when I think I have actually heard it all....
mrsp'slilpeeps 03:29 PM 02-07-2012
Just talked to DCM. I told her that she is never allowed to do that again.

She just laughed and asked, what you didnt like my drop and run?

Um no.
MarinaVanessa 03:37 PM 02-07-2012
Just talked to DCM. I told her that she is never allowed to do that again.

She just laughed and asked, what you didnt like my drop and run?

Um no.

My immediate response that comes to mind is ...
"I liked it just about as much as you're going to like me calling your son's school to tell them that he's truant and in my care because he didn't feel like going and just as much as you're going to like me calling licensing, filling out an Unusual Incident report and reporting you ."

I don't know that I'd actually say that, but I'd be tempted. Wow, total and complete lack of respect for your friendship and your business.
cheerfuldom 04:08 PM 02-07-2012
Really for your own sake you should not take him anymore. This kid is likely to get into trouble while unattended. Doesn't sound like she is opposed to leaving him in the front yard either. This whole thing is just really weird and for your liability and his safety, I would say no in the future.
Crystal 07:22 PM 02-07-2012
I gotta ask. WHY on earth haven't YOU reported these incidents? You are a mandated reporter. You have witnessed children be left at great risk by a negligent mother. It is your moral and ethical responsibility, and lawful duty, to report this to Children's Protective Services. If you don't and something terrible happens, you can be held legally responsible just as much as Mom can.

Do something. Now.
My3cents 02:51 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I gotta ask. WHY on earth haven't YOU reported these incidents? You are a mandated reporter. You have witnessed children be left at great risk by a negligent mother. It is your moral and ethical responsibility, and lawful duty, to report this to Children's Protective Services. If you don't and something terrible happens, you can be held legally responsible just as much as Mom can.

Do something. Now.
Thank you!!! As mad as I am at the mother of this child, sorry.......harsh......not too happy with your tolerance of this either. Friends don't do this to friends. You should be reporting this women, Crystal is right on here.......your mandated and you know better then this bull
Lucy 07:45 PM 02-08-2012
I'm not saying she shouldn't report it. But she is Canadian, and might not be mandated. Just putting that out there.
Crystal 08:36 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I'm not saying she shouldn't report it. But she is Canadian, and might not be mandated. Just putting that out there.
Good point, but I am fairly sure she's mandated.

Even if not, reporting is the ethical and moral thing to do. At least for me, it is.
Lianne 04:31 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I'm Canadian and we are mandated to report, just like anyone else.
littlemissmuffet 05:37 AM 02-09-2012

Of course you say something to her.

"Hey Friend - what you did this morning is completely unacceptable. First of all, I was expecting you to be dropping off Johnny this morning, not Jimmy. Also, Jimmy can't be here during regular school hours... if he's not school-ready, he's not daycare ready. Second of all, you can't just leave either child unattended in any part of my home without making me aware. This is dangerous and absolutely disrespectful to both me and your child. Thirdly, I won't be able to provide daycare services anymore - sorry for the short notice".

I hope everyone eventually learns the golden rule of "NO FRIENDS. NO FAMILY. NO NEIGHBORS. NO EXCEPTIONS!".
RPrunell 06:49 AM 02-09-2012
Why wasn't your door locked? If you watch kids shouldn't you keep your doors locked to keep the kids in and un-authorized people out? Also you need to call CPS and let them know about what happened. Let them decide if further action needs to be taken.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:43 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by RPrunell:
Why wasn't your door locked? If you watch kids shouldn't you keep your doors locked to keep the kids in and un-authorized people out? Also you need to call CPS and let them know about what happened. Let them decide if further action needs to be taken.
Because at that very moment I had forgotten to lock it. it is always locked every other time.

Do you forget to do things sometimes?
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:50 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Thank you!!! As mad as I am at the mother of this child, sorry.......harsh......not too happy with your tolerance of this either. Friends don't do this to friends. You should be reporting this women, Crystal is right on here.......your mandated and you know better then this bull
You know what newbie? She has been reported, thank you for the crappy attitude. Get some forum ettiquette.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 02-09-2012
You know what newbie? She has been reported, thank you for the crappy attitude. Get some forum ettiquette.
Ok, this is uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but if you don't like what their opinion is, you do not have to answer them. Nothing I read in her reply constitutes as a "crappy attitude"....and nothing she said was breaking any forum ettiquette rules either.

The situation was a bit and there are many responses on this thread about how differently it would have been handled by the many different providers here.

Many others felt the same as My3cents but yet she is the only one who you pick out to make a comment to about their attitude.

I'm sorry but we have ALL been newbies at one point to this forum (including you) and I just think this was an unnecessary response.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:03 AM 02-09-2012
Well everyones attitude is uncalled for. I called and reported her.

But some of the OP are all up in arms like it's my fault.

They obviously have not shown up to talk to her cause she called and asked if I could take him again today.

I said no, take him to school where he belongs. Im full.

Sorry in a bit of a foul mood.

Im done with it.

My apologies to the new members.
Blackcat31 10:08 AM 02-09-2012

They obviously have not shown up to talk to her cause she called and asked if I could take him again today.

Im done with it.

no worries....we all have days like that....

just didn't want the newbies to be the only ones singled out...
Crystal 12:30 PM 02-09-2012

Im done with it.

How does anyone here have an "attitude" ? You asked for, and recieved, some very professional, CORRECT advice. If you were going to think anyone has an "attitude" then I would be the one you should be referring to, because YES, I was and am a bit annoyed that a professional child care provider would fail to call CPS the very second she sees something like what you have reported here. Even with that, I don't believe I had an attitude, I gave you the advice I would give anyone in your situation, perhaps more bluntly than some would, but I do say things like this bluntly to make sure my point is made.....because it is IMPORTANT.

No one said anything was YOUR fault, they simply advised you to do what is best for the child. The posting about this topic continued to be advice for you to report the incident as you never came back to say you had reported it until you were told your post was uncalled for. We are not "mind readers" how are we supposed to know you reported it if you don't say so?
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:31 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
How does anyone here have an "attitude" ? You asked for, and recieved, some very professional, CORRECT advice. If you were going to think anyone has an "attitude" then I would be the one you should be referring to, because YES, I was and am a bit annoyed that a professional child care provider would fail to call CPS the very second she sees something like what you have reported here. Even with that, I don't believe I had an attitude, I gave you the advice I would give anyone in your situation, perhaps more bluntly than some would, but I do say things like this bluntly to make sure my point is made.....because it is IMPORTANT.

No one said anything was YOUR fault, they simply advised you to do what is best for the child. The posting about this topic continued to be advice for you to report the incident as you never came back to say you had reported it until you were told your post was uncalled for. We are not "mind readers" how are we supposed to know you reported it if you don't say so?
Ok I understand what you are saying. But I feel as I just wrote on my other post that when you come here to get advice some people get really snotty.

I apologized, Im done posting about this. Thank you for the info.
Unregistered 02:04 PM 02-09-2012
Ok I understand what you are saying. But I feel as I just wrote on my other post that when you come here to get advice some people get really snotty.

I apologized, Im done posting about this. Thank you for the info.
I'm the same person who posted about your son kissing a three year old and you got all defensive.Not everyone has a "crappy attitude" I just think you are getting a little too defensive.It's hard to hear people's tone when it's in print. When people ask a question it's not to blame,it's to find out more to the story so they can give advice.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm the same person who posted about your son kissing a three year old and you got all defensive.Not everyone has a "crappy attitude" I just think you are getting a little too defensive.It's hard to hear people's tone when it's in print. When people ask a question it's not to blame,it's to find out more to the story so they can give advice.
OP posted a thread apologizing for her actions/mood.

Daycare is a tough job and NONE of us are perfect.

OP said she was sorry for being so snippy to posters and she (and everyone else) is now moving on.

We have ALL been there so a bit of empathy is expected. It would be a different story if everyday were a bad day but she is normally a great poster and wonderful contributor to the forum so all is well!
wdmmom 02:36 PM 02-09-2012
Peeps~

Don't be upset by what others say. If they've never been in the situation, they clearly can't say you handled it good, not so good, awful, etc. In fact, most can say what they THINK they would have done versus what they might ACTUALLY have done.

Too many times things are sprung upon us so fast that our time to process is limited and our instincts take over.

I think you did what you thought you had to do in the moment and that's perfectly fine.

You are entitled to be mad at this parent and you are entitled to tell her to take a leap...which it sounds like you already did so kudos to you!
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:02 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OP posted a thread apologizing for her actions/mood.

Daycare is a tough job and NONE of us are perfect.

OP said she was sorry for being so snippy to posters and she (and everyone else) is now moving on.

We have ALL been there so a bit of empathy is expected. It would be a different story if everyday were a bad day but she is normally a great poster and wonderful contributor to the forum so all is well!
Thanks Blackcat and Wdmmom for the support. Really appreciated, especally on days like today.
Tags:mandated reporter, working with friends
Reply Up