Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Restraining Order
Unregistered 08:58 AM 09-24-2013
I just separated from my husband. He went off the deep end and I had to get a restraining order against him. I had to close for the past 2 days because of this. He seems to have accepted things now and I do not think he will break the restraining order, not toto mention hehe is workingthe while my dc kids are here, so he would not have a chance to come here during dc hours even if he wanted to. While II do habeto a restraining order, it is for me and my kids. I wanthave to openthe tomorrow. I do not want to lose clients or my business because of this. I want to call each parent personally and tell them the basic situation and ensure them that their child's safety is my top priority. First though, am I even allowed to operate with a restraining order?
Play Care 09:08 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just separated from my husband. He went off the deep end and I had to get a restraining order against him. I had to close for the past 2 days because of this. He seems to have accepted things now and I do not think he will break the restraining order, not toto mention hehe is workingthe while my dc kids are here, so he would not have a chance to come here during dc hours even if he wanted to. While II do habeto a restraining order, it is for me and my kids. I wanthave to openthe tomorrow. I do not want to lose clients or my business because of this. I want to call each parent personally and tell them the basic situation and ensure them that their child's safety is my top priority. First though, am I even allowed to operate with a restraining order?
If you are licensed you will need to call your licensor and explain the situation to them. They will let you know if you can legally operate during this time.
I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
preschoolteacher 09:09 AM 09-24-2013
To be honest, if my daycare provider told me that she had a restraining order against her husband, I would not want to continue sending my children to that daycare unless I was CONVINCED that my child was going to be safe.

I think you are obligated to tell the parents. When you tell them, I'd keep the details minimal---"My husband and I are separated, and there is a restraining order involved against him." Then I'd focus on how the kids will be safe in your care. What specific steps are you taking to keep them safe?

Edited to say: I'm sorry you are going through this! I am sure you are doing the best for your kids and daycare kids.
Heidi 09:11 AM 09-24-2013
Check with your regs. In WI, we are required to report any contact with law enforcement. I had to report when I called the sheriff about my neighbors dog running at large (over and over and over).
Unregistered 10:02 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am wondering why you had to close for a few days. Going by your post it sounds like he keeps calling or coming over. If he is merely being annoying that is one thing, if he will become violent that is another.

As for your clients your divorce is non of their business unless their children could be compromised. Only you know that, if not your personal life is non of their business. If you share all the drama with them, you will more than likely lose every one of them.
Unregistered 10:44 AM 09-24-2013
I closed for a couple of days because this all happened on Sunday, then I had to go get the restraining order Monday and it was not served until late last night and he moved out yesterday.

Without explaining the whole lengthy situation, the first few days were rocky, but I feel like now that the restraining order is in place, he will not risk getting arrested coming by here, so the children will be totally safe. I would not even consider opening again if that was not the case.

My main concern is the safety of the children and I would NEVER do anything to put them in harms way. I just went ahead and called licensing and am waiting for a call back. This is a serious issue and I want to make sure I handle it correctly. I could get 10 different bits of advice here, and it could still be not accurate, so for an issue as serious as this, I figured I had just better call licensing.

Thank you for the advice
Reply Up