Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Bring By Your Halloween Children to Our Retirement Community?
Michael 09:24 PM 09-25-2013
Received this email today and thought it would be wonderful if someone could organize a group of kids to bring some happiness to an area that never sees children on Halloween. Here is the email:

----------------------------
I am writing as a special request for our senior citizens in our retirement community. They would really love for some kids to come on Halloween Day dressed in costume. They would like to give them candy, and just see their costumes and visit with them for awhile. Can you please help me?

Thanks!

Coleen Christensen

Resident Program Director
Woodside Terrace –Brookdale Senior Living
485 Woodside Rd
Redwood City, Ca 94061
(650) 366-3900

littlemissmuffet 09:37 PM 09-25-2013
Super fantastic! I hope you find a volunteer here
Margarete 10:02 PM 09-25-2013
Aww, a bit to far for me, hopefully there are some others on here who live closer. Definitely something to think about in our own community though this Halloween.
MsLaura529 04:01 AM 09-26-2013
A little too far for me but we did this with my local MOM's Club a couple years ago and they LOVED it - both the kids and seniors. The seniors had candy to give to the kids as they "trick-or-treated" around. It was a great time.
Laurel 05:40 AM 09-26-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
Aww, a bit to far for me, hopefully there are some others on here who live closer. Definitely something to think about in our own community though this Halloween.

Laurel
daycarediva 05:54 AM 09-26-2013
We have a retirement community down the street from us. They let me use their recreation room for my evacuation place/in case of emergency and are SO NICE to us. We always walk through there on our walks, and I never thought to go through for Halloween! I will have to email the director and see if we can plan a daytime visit through with the little guys!

I hope someone local can help them!
melilley 06:09 AM 09-26-2013
Great idea! I don't do field trips, but if I did I would definitely take my kids to do this!
Scout 07:00 AM 09-26-2013
Yes, I would bring my own kids for sure. I would bring my dck's if I had the family's permission as well. My husband works as an STNA in a nursing home and we do trick or treating there and it really makes the residents happy! They love to see the little ones. It brightens up their otherwise normal day routine!
kathiemarie 07:02 AM 09-26-2013
We do this every year. We can walk to 2 homes. We make little cards for the citizens. They love it! (both the kids and the SR.) I strongly suggest this type of field trip.
Michael 11:47 AM 09-26-2013
I was thinking of writing an article about this that I could post every year. Maybe under Share The Halloween Experience. Any other ideas?
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 09-26-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I was thinking of writing an article about this that I could post every year. Maybe under Share The Halloween Experience. Any other ideas?
My DCK's used to go caroling at Nursing Homes...

At Christmas time, my daycare kids make Christmas cards for the residents and if we can arrange it, we hand deliver them....the residents LOVE getting holiday wishes from the little ones! They always light up when they see us coming!
daycare 01:03 PM 09-26-2013
I think that I may be able to do it. We do already go to 3 different places, but what is one more?? It would have to be within the next week though..
Michael 01:47 PM 09-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that I may be able to do it. We do already go to 3 different places, but what is one more?? It would have to be within the next week though..
Are you close to them in Redwood City? Your profile location shows... Mars!

That would be so cool if you did. Would you take some pictures, even a short video? I would like to include them in the article.
Childminder 06:32 PM 09-26-2013
We do this each year and also have a "Princess and Prince" party with the seniors as well as an Easter egg hunt and party in the spring. Hope you find someone. it is very rewarding.
Josiegirl 04:16 PM 09-27-2013
We have a senior home locally that advertises open trick or treating certain hours. I wonder if they did something like that? I know a lot of friends, families, employees, bring their littles all dressed up and the residents love it, giving and getting hugs, handing out candy.
I hope the senior home gets lots of response!
Tags:halloween - ideas
Reply Up