Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Science Projects, or Simple Crafts
momma2girls 11:59 AM 02-22-2010
Let's share some simple science projects and craft ideas. It's great to get ideas on simple, different things to do fun for all the children.
Thanks!!
SOmething I always do in the Spring is make homeade kites- take a pc. of const. paper and cut out a large diamond kite out of it. The children do designs, colorings on the front and the back of it- then I attach a large pc. of yarn and then cut out different bow shapes out of const. paper and I stapel and tape these on the long pc. of yarn. Then when they leave or if it is nice enough outside we can go out and fly them. The children love it!!! It is very simple and inexpensive!!!
alyssyn 05:11 PM 02-22-2010
Sharing craft ideas would be great! Something we do alot at springtime are butterfly blot prints. Can be a little messy, but they turn out great! We take construction paper and fold long ways. Then, open and put three big blobs of finger-paint on fold. Then, fold together and press down and smear colors so they mix well. Unfold and let dry. Then, cut out in shape of butterfly and make antennae's to add to head. This works really well on poster board too.
momma2girls 05:49 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by alyssyn:
Sharing craft ideas would be great! Something we do alot at springtime are butterfly blot prints. Can be a little messy, but they turn out great! We take construction paper and fold long ways. Then, open and put three big blobs of finger-paint on fold. Then, fold together and press down and smear colors so they mix well. Unfold and let dry. Then, cut out in shape of butterfly and make antennae's to add to head. This works really well on poster board too.
THis is awesome as well!! Thanks!! I will do that in April.
MrsCoffee 05:04 AM 02-23-2010
We go on nature walks and I let the kids collect rocks and different things like flowers tree bark acorns and with the rocks we make rock pets w/googly eyes. And with the tree bark and flowers we make popsicle stick picture frames and glue on the nature finds.
MarinaVanessa 11:37 AM 02-24-2010
For the spring close to Easter we make bunny faces out of small paper plates. We use large black buttons for noses and eyes (sometimes I can find googly eyes that are big enough) and have each child trace their handprint on white construction paper and cut them out to make the bunny ears. Sometimes the older ones get glitter and markers and can decorate their own.

Another idea is for each child to grow their own herb or grass in a small styrophoam cup. We start these in march so that by april they have sprouted. They decorate their cups however they want and water them themselves. Once they've sprouted I have them trace their handprint on colored construction paper and cut it out and glue it to green popsicle sticks (you can buy them green or buy them natural and give them to the kids to paint with green paint) then we collect leaves from a a nature walk and glue one or two to the stick and stake it in the cup. The end result is a garden in a cup with a handprint flower.

I use the hand shape a ot because it's a part of my DC name but it's a cute idea for anybody and the parents love it when they take them home and have a handprint to keep.
Tags:crafts, science projects
Reply Up