Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sibiling Discounts and Extended Leave Policy
SilverSabre25 05:22 AM 01-19-2011
Two of my dcms are pg now, and I'm needing to make a policy on sibiling discounts. I've read the other discussions on this that we've had recently, and while I would *like* to say that there's no discount...I just can't bring myself to do that. I normally charge each of these families $30/day. I'm thinking that $30 for one, $55 for two is the way to go. That's basically $30 for one and $25 for the other but I won't necessarily split it up that way--I'm thinking of adding a policy that if one child is home sick, they both need to be.

For the maternity leave, I'm thinking of charging each family half rate for the child who won't be here and half to hold the spot for the baby (not kicking in until baby is born), and they can still bring the older child up to two days a week. I need this extended/maternity leave policy because one mom gets three months off and the other is getting 3 months of leave and then 2 months of on-site daycare for the baby.

Does that sound reasonable?
DCMomOf3 05:37 AM 01-19-2011
I think that sounds fine actually. I give 10% for siblings, so in your case I'd charge $30/$27.

as for charging for leave, I would do the same as for teachers' children, although I don't have any so i am no help there.
SilverSabre25 05:39 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I think that sounds fine actually. I give 10% for siblings, so in your case I'd charge $30/$27.

as for charging for leave, I would do the same as for teachers' children, although I don't have any so i am no help there.
I thought of 10% but that makes the math annoying. I like pretty numbers, lol.
Lilbutterflie 06:08 AM 01-19-2011
I do 10% for siblings. I don't worry about the math, that's what calculators are for!! I think anything higher than 10% is not worth it.

As for adding a policy if one child is home sick, the other/s needs to be home too; I would LOVE to add this as well! When I was a working mom with two kids in daycare, if one was sick I kept the other home. If I came to pick up one child from daycare for being sick, I took both of them with me. It's just common sense to me. If I'm going to be home, I'm going to spend time with BOTH children! Well, I've learned this is NOT the norm. One day I sent home dcg with a high fever, dcm came to pick her up. She left the other two siblings with me. An hour later, another one developed a high fever. She was already back at work (I found out she had dropped off dcg with a friend) and she had to leave work again to come pick him up. Hehehe. Wouldn't have had that problem had she picked them all up! I NEVER get a day off unless all 3 of them are sick, even though they are from the same family. If a parent stays home, they still bring the other two to daycare.

I don't think this policy would be received well though. They are paying us, if the siblings are healthy and not showing any symptoms, I don't think some parents would understand why they would have to keep the sibling home (though they SHOULD).
misol 06:27 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I don't think this policy would be received well though. They are paying us, if the siblings are healthy and not showing any symptoms, I don't think some parents would understand why they would have to keep the sibling home (though they SHOULD).
It may not be received well but we have to do what we have to do to keep the other kids and our families safe. My policy says that depending on the type of illnesss the siblings may also be required to stay/go home. I am the one who makes that decision.

I am also the type of mom who would pick up both kids if I have to pick up one. At the very LEAST, I wouldn't want to to disturb the sick, resting child to drag them back out to pick up the other one! Such a shame that the mom dumped the sick kid off on someone else. I am sure all that little girl wanted was some TLC from her mom while she was sick.
littlemonkeys 07:06 AM 01-19-2011
I had a set of twins in my DC last year and they were ALWAYS sick. They always got sick around the same time. One would get it... get better... and a few days later the other one would be sick, and often the cycle repeated.

One day I remember one of the twins vomiting at my house and the other twin had a temp of 99.9. When the mother came she said she'd be back later to pick up the temp child after she ran her errands. I had to explain to her that she had to take both children. Even though the temp child wasn't considered "sick" yet (my contract reads at 100 degrees), I knew he'd get sick. Then, the next morning even after telling the mom the twins couldn't come back to daycare for at least 24 hours, etc. She.Still.Brought.Them and was pretty upset when I had to turn them away at my door.

Anyways, I could go on for days about this family. I just remember they put me in a hard spot over and over regarding their illnesses and I probably allowed them to come to DC more often than I should have.
Tags:extended leave, sibling discount
Reply Up