Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifers
SandeeAR 03:58 PM 04-14-2011
Some of the posts recently got me to thinking about this. Just curious what the rest of you do.

I have an 8 mo, that comes in each morning with Dad with a passy in his mouth. First thing I do is take it out and put it in his bag. He never wants one until I give it to him at nap. At pick up the first thing Dad does is put him in the car seat and get the passy out of the bag and put it in his mouth. They dcb is never crying, he just sticks it in his mouth.

I have them supply 2 passies that stay here. I VERY quickly wean 6 mo infants to only using it at nap time.

What do you do?
nannyde 04:21 PM 04-14-2011
I don't use pacifiers.
MsMe 04:39 PM 04-14-2011
The thing that drives me most nuts is when parents tell you that the child is not allowed to have it anymore so I don't use it anymore even when the child seems to need it. Then you see them out around town and the child has it!!!

If you want to take it away then fine I am more than happy to help but you need to take it away at home too!!!
Former Teacher 04:41 PM 04-14-2011
I, for one, don't believe in passys.

It's just another thing that you have to wean a child off of.
Mrs.Ky 04:45 PM 04-14-2011
I dont allow children to have pacis at all in daycare by the age of 2 and at age 1 I only give it at nap time before 1 they can have it whenever. I had daycare dad about 2 weeks ago bring his 2 year old to the door with a paci in his mouth I told him you know he cant have that here he took it and put it in his pocket this boy hasnt had a paci in my house for months I cant believe they are still giving him one.
MN Day Mom 04:59 PM 04-14-2011
I allow them for infants, they need to suck and calm and then add in the whole reduces SIDS risk factor. I don't see any reason to not allow a baby a nuk??

After they become 'movers' they only have them in their cribs when they are napping. Weaning has never really been too much of an issue, unless the parents aren't holding down their end at home.
nannyde 05:03 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I allow them for infants, they need to suck and calm and then add in the whole reduces SIDS risk factor. I don't see any reason to not allow a baby a nuk??
It's not a matter of not allowing them. I don't need them to pacify the babies. Every baby I have ever had has done beautifully without them. My way of caring for them "completes" them. They don't ever need them.
MN Day Mom 05:16 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's not a matter of not allowing them. I don't need them to pacify the babies. Every baby I have ever had has done beautifully without them. My way of caring for them "completes" them. They don't ever need them.
Well I guess my way of caring for them just doesn't 'complete' them. Thankfully they are all turning out to be pretty amazing kids regardless!!

I let nuks be the decision of the parents, especially since they've been proven to help reduce the risk of SIDS, I'm not in the position to tell them no.
daycare 05:17 PM 04-14-2011
I take them away at age 2. Most of my kids that had them did great at dc without them. But had them at home. I also never gave them except for at nap time.
Meeko 06:05 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Some of the posts recently got me to thinking about this. Just curious what the rest of you do.

I have an 8 mo, that comes in each morning with Dad with a passy in his mouth. First thing I do is take it out and put it in his bag. He never wants one until I give it to him at nap. At pick up the first thing Dad does is put him in the car seat and get the passy out of the bag and put it in his mouth. They dcb is never crying, he just sticks it in his mouth.

I have them supply 2 passies that stay here. I VERY quickly wean 6 mo infants to only using it at nap time.

What do you do?
ONly allow a paci if it's attached to the baby with a clip. If they pull it off, they do without. Most of the time I have found it's the PARENTS who are addicted to the darn things. I too have taken away pacifiers from kids at the door and they have never asked for it.....yet the parent acts as if life is over if they don't pop it in the second they pick the child up. I once had a 4 year old (yes 4) who's parents told me she simply couldn't live without it. It went in her cubby as soon as I closed the door in the morning. I told her she's big girl and didn't need it. Dad shows up....."OMG!!!WHERE"S THE PACI?!!!!!!!!!!" He stuck it her mouth as soon as I took it out of the cubby. Mind boggling.....
Unregistered 06:22 PM 04-14-2011
Well I guess my way of caring for them just doesn't 'complete' them. Thankfully they are all turning out to be pretty amazing kids regardless!!

I let nuks be the decision of the parents, especially since they've been proven to help reduce the risk of SIDS, I'm not in the position to tell them no.
LOL I agree with your thoughts here. I guess for those of us who are not perfect pacis are acceptable alternatives until we can finally reach that perfection others claim to have.

I for one, let kids have them until 18 months. My son had one until 18 months (or I would have had to breastfeed every minute) and had NO issue weaning. I also believe in the reduction of sids research and am willing to work with parents who want their kids to have pacis. We dont all have the luxury of being able to hand pick only organic 2 parent perfect families like some so pacis are accepted here.
SilverSabre25 04:29 AM 04-15-2011
I take away the paci during awake time around 6 months--if an older infant starts with me I give them a couple weeks to settle in and then away goes the paci. It doesn't usually take much to get them to only naptime with it...and they don't seem to miss it much *at all*.

I too have had a set of parents who flip out and shove the paci in the mouth of their infant the second they walk through the door...and for this particular infant never even did it's "job" of keeping them quiet/calm/whatever the job is. She just clamped down on the paci and screamed around it.
nannyde 04:30 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
LOLWe dont all have the luxury of being able to hand pick only organic 2 parent perfect families like some so pacis are accepted here.
Oh it's not a luxury. It's work. You gotta find them, land them, and then keep them.

That's work not luxury.
nannyde 04:56 AM 04-15-2011
I didn't suggest that your way of care doesn't complete them. That's silly.

I've said many many times on this board that the beauty of this job is that there are many ways to end up with great kids.
nannyde 05:13 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
LOL I agree with your thoughts here. I guess for those of us who are not perfect pacis are acceptable alternatives until we can finally reach that perfection others claim to have.

I for one, let kids have them until 18 months. My son had one until 18 months (or I would have had to breastfeed every minute) and had NO issue weaning. I also believe in the reduction of sids research and am willing to work with parents who want their kids to have pacis. We dont all have the luxury of being able to hand pick only organic 2 parent perfect families like some so pacis are accepted here.
SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME

AAP guidelines suggest offering pacifiers to infants at the onset of sleep to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).6 The guidelines recommend not introducing pacifiers to breastfeeding infants until one month of age because later onset of pacifier use appears to have fewer negative effects on breastfeeding.21 Pacifiers should not be forced on the infant or reinserted during sleep if the infant spits it out. The exact mechanism of benefit for reducing rates of SIDS is not fully understood, but pacifier use may decrease the likelihood of rolling into the prone position, increase arousal, maintain airway patency, decrease gastroesophageal reflux and resultant sleep apnea, or increase respiratory drive with carbon dioxide retention.22 A meta-analysis22 of seven case-control studies demonstrated a strong association between pacifier use and a reduction in the risk of SIDS, estimating a number needed to treat of 2,733.

AAFP/AAP joint guidelines recommend reducing or stopping pacifier use in the second six months of life to reduce the risk of otitis media.
Evansmom 05:21 AM 04-15-2011
I have a little girl here who will be 3 in a few weeks and her parents still let her have a pacifier at home, in the car and at night time.

I took it away a long time ago and they just are amazed that she allowed me to do that. Uh, she didn't "allow" me. I said it was high time for that thing to go! She manipulates her parents big time I guess.
daysofelijah 05:23 AM 04-15-2011
I let them have them whenever they want until 12 months. Then I only let them have it for nap until about 16-18 months when I move them to a mat. I like pacis. Two of my kids had them until 2.5, I was sad my 2nd ds wouldn't take one at all. He was such a happy baby he just didn't need one.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME

AAP guidelines suggest offering pacifiers to infants at the onset of sleep to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).6 The guidelines recommend not introducing pacifiers to breastfeeding infants until one month of age because later onset of pacifier use appears to have fewer negative effects on breastfeeding.21 Pacifiers should not be forced on the infant or reinserted during sleep if the infant spits it out. The exact mechanism of benefit for reducing rates of SIDS is not fully understood, but pacifier use may decrease the likelihood of rolling into the prone position, increase arousal, maintain airway patency, decrease gastroesophageal reflux and resultant sleep apnea, or increase respiratory drive with carbon dioxide retention.22 A meta-analysis22 of seven case-control studies demonstrated a strong association between pacifier use and a reduction in the risk of SIDS, estimating a number needed to treat of 2,733.

AAFP/AAP joint guidelines recommend reducing or stopping pacifier use in the second six months of life to reduce the risk of otitis media.
My kid has never had one ear infection and had a paci until 18 months so the last part is completely meaningless to me. And seriously who is going to force a paci into a kids mouth to keep him sleeping if they spit it out? Sometimes the obvious is better left unsaid.
DancingQueen 09:26 AM 04-15-2011
Newborn babies can have them - but once they start moving around they are only for bed time and I won't stop using them at bedtime until parents do.

I refuse to allow them to walk around with the kid - another kid is just gonna end up with or it will be lost etc. NOT dealing with it.

Parents must provide and leave one here. I only need one since it stays in the bed.

I put it in the dishwasher every Friday (more often if they are sick).
boysx5 10:14 AM 04-15-2011
if the parent lets them have them thats fine nobody told me how to parent I won't tell them.
DancingQueen 10:21 AM 04-15-2011
I have no problem with paci's if parents use them and they want me to use them - but I won't allow them to travel within my house. for the same reason I don't allow toys - it is going to get lost, picked up by someone else, start a fight, broken or all of the above (and then there is the sharing/germ factor)
So they stay in the pnp once that kid is mobile
AND leaving one at your house (rather than going back and forth) will eliminate parents giving it to their kid while still in your care. Yours is for the pnp they will have their own in their car or whatever. But there isn't one you have to hand over to mom and dad or having their bag - so they can't quickly shove it in kids mouth.

I really don't care what parents do as far as paci's go.
cheerfuldom 02:19 PM 04-15-2011
I do the same thing (wean down to nap time only). There is nothing you can do about the parents doing that though. I have a 2.5 year old that comes with a paci and leaves with one every day. Her mom knows she goes all day here without it but its just easier for them to treat her like a baby than (horror of horrors) say no to her.
Tags:pacifier
Reply Up