Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advertising & Your Address
Oneluckymom 09:42 AM 09-12-2011
I was wondering, for all of you that run a family childcare, if you include your daycare address when you advertise and do you display your address on your website? I am in the process of building my website and wanted to know if I should display my home address, but I was hesitant for safety reasons. Am I being too cautious? I was told that people may want to do a drive by to check out my place before calling me to "get a feel" of the home.
Danielle 09:55 AM 09-12-2011
You are not being too cautious. I only have what city I'm in on my website. Then I will only give out a general area until I'm scheduling an interview.
Crazy8 10:08 AM 09-12-2011
I give a general area name and my elementary school. We live in a pretty big town - different areas and developments have names - so by including my development name I feel I am giving them a better feel for where I'm located without giving exactly where I'm located (there are at least 100 houses in here).

I won't include my actual address on my website, business cards, etc. People only receive that info when they schedule an interview. Oh, and I won't put a daycare sign on my lawn or window or anything either.
MamaBear 10:12 AM 09-12-2011
I had my address on my website when I first started doing daycare and I quickly removed it. I was getting these people literally parking in front of my house taking pictures of the house and creepily drive by. Then I had a lady just show up thinking she could just come unannounced for a tour. I removed the address and never had a problem again with that.

I give a "general" location description... like what roads I'm near. But not my street or address at all. It's good for the safety of the kids too to keep it unlisted.
renodeb 10:54 AM 09-12-2011
Not over cautious at all. I never list my adress on my site or any thing. I dont really want anyone just showing up. Just give your phone number and general area.
Debbie
familyschoolcare 12:37 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I give a general area name and my elementary school. We live in a pretty big town - different areas and developments have names - so by including my development name I feel I am giving them a better feel for where I'm located without giving exactly where I'm located (there are at least 100 houses in here).

I won't include my actual address on my website, business cards, etc. People only receive that info when they schedule an interview. Oh, and I won't put a daycare sign on my lawn or window or anything either.
This is what I do. When asked exactly where I live I will give a little more detail about where I live example near abc and xyz streets and if pushed for an exact address I say I do not give that out until you set up an interview what day and time would you like to come by.
tbutler 12:52 PM 09-12-2011
I do the same as everyone else has mentioned. I have the cross streets and city listed on my business cards. When people call I only give them cross streets as well. If they ask where I stay, that's when I give them my subdivision name so they will know the area. I don't give my address out until they are on their way for the tour/interview.
Oneluckymom 02:54 PM 09-12-2011
Thanks everyone, You all reaffirmed exactly what I was thinking too. I too was a little worried about just handing over my address....I mean this is my home and where children will be during hours, I didn't want just anyone to know my location. Thanks
Abigail 07:02 PM 09-12-2011
Do you give out your address just before they're on their way or do you give it out when they schedule an interview even if it's a week down the road?

I agree with all the previous posts, DONT put the actual address on your advertisements. If I give out our neighborhood addition name, it would limit to under a 6 block area so I don't want to even give that out! Everyone knows daycare go outside together in the morning before lunch or after nap and people watch for the drop offs and pickups and could easily figure it out. I know exactly what homes have daycares on my street and they don't advertise either.
Reply Up