Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For Outside Play
JennyBear 11:31 AM 12-13-2011
I need some creative ideas for outside play with my daycare kids. They range from 13 months (and still crawling) to 3 years old. I live in Canada (Ontario) so the weather is always different...hot, cold, snow, rain, sun, cool, etc...
Because it's our winter months now we're bundled up when going outside so the little ones can crawl around but can't use their hands for much because of their gloves.

Anyway, I'm finding that the children (and myself) are getting bored fairly easily these days when outside so I'm looking for some creative suggestions. We currently play in the sand box (although it's always wet sand right now...and soon will be covered in snow), we blow bubbles, play chasing games and red light green light, we go to the neighbourhood park, go for walks around the block (big kids walk and little ones go in a wagon) we go kick around balls or play chasing games in the field close by. I have a sensory table in the backyard with pasta in it but now that winter is here we can't do that stuff outdoors.

Any ideas to keep us active and having fun outdoors? Any ideas for the little ones? (other then the regular small bucket of toys I bring for them to sit and play with)
p.s. I want to get a parachute for the kids to play with but don't know where to get one from? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ideas!!
kendallina 11:38 AM 12-13-2011
Parachutes you can buy from Discount school supply:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&scategoryid=0

I have a plastic set of drawers outside, so we always have buckets, shovels, cars, bug catchers, etc available. Also, my DH built a balance beam for us (you can google "DIY balance beam". We also have tons of balls and a t-ball set.

I try to rotate toys outside as well (although I haven't been great about it lately...). Sometimes we have wooden blocks, an art easel, dolls and strollers, etc.

I'll be checking back here, because I'm sure lots of people will have some great ideas...
JennyBear 12:03 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Parachutes you can buy from Discount school supply:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&scategoryid=0

I have a plastic set of drawers outside, so we always have buckets, shovels, cars, bug catchers, etc available. Also, my DH built a balance beam for us (you can google "DIY balance beam". We also have tons of balls and a t-ball set.

I try to rotate toys outside as well (although I haven't been great about it lately...). Sometimes we have wooden blocks, an art easel, dolls and strollers, etc.

I'll be checking back here, because I'm sure lots of people will have some great ideas...

This company won't ship to Canada Any other suggestions for where to get a parachute?
countrymom 12:05 PM 12-13-2011
scholastics has a parachute, or I've seen them at toys r us. we rarely go out because no one comes dressed and right now the dcbaby is sick all the time so we can't go outside. I have a play yard that the kids spend forever in, I hate winter, but come warm weather we spend the whole day outside.
KEG123 12:14 PM 12-13-2011
My kids just must be really imaginative because all we have outside is a sandbox, a climber/slide, a sand/water table, bubbles, chalk, and balls (hope to get a basketball hoop in the spring though) and they play fine.
JennyBear 01:57 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
My kids just must be really imaginative because all we have outside is a sandbox, a climber/slide, a sand/water table, bubbles, chalk, and balls (hope to get a basketball hoop in the spring though) and they play fine.
i just find that day after day it's the same old things. 2 of my dck are 13 months and don't move around much, especially in their snowsuits. The one usually just cries and wants to be picked up (i think he hates his snowsuit that much...b/c in nicer weather he is all about outside). The kids do love the toys/activities we do, but I'm just finding that it's a lot of the same things so I'm trying to keep them happily involved, which is why I'm looking for more ideas. I'm also looking for any creative outdoor winter ideas other then the regular snow activities and tobogganing.
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 12-13-2011
We use food coloring in water in spray bottles and paint our snow The kids LOVE it!!

We have also done scavenger hunts where I hide some really colorful item and the kids have to search the snow to find it. That might only work with bigger kids who get the idea of searching for something.

If all else fails and you just need some outside time, bundle them up and just go for a nice brisk walk around the block...exercise and fresh air.
BigMama 02:55 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We use food coloring in water in spray bottles and paint our snow The kids LOVE it!!

We have also done scavenger hunts where I hide some really colorful item and the kids have to search the snow to find it. That might only work with bigger kids who get the idea of searching for something.

If all else fails and you just need some outside time, bundle them up and just go for a nice brisk walk around the block...exercise and fresh air.
We do the colored spray bottles too - always a hit!
Some other ideas for Winter:
*build a snowperson
*use brick makers or Tupperware to make bricks for a snow fort
*set up a target to hit with snowballs
*ice fish (Fill the water table with water and plastic fish & let it sit outside over night. A thick layer of ice will form but won't freeze all the way through. Hammer a hole in the ice and the kids can fish with magnetic poles or nets)
*toboggan rides
*get some kiddie size snow shovels
*blow bubbles (they freeze! - very cool and fun)
*use your sandbox toys to make snowcastles
*catch snowflakes on black construction paper
*make snow angels
*freeze different colored water in empty yogurt containers and in ice trays - these make great colored ice blocks to use in the snow
frgsonmysox 03:36 PM 12-13-2011
I saw this in a magazine today, but you freeze paint in paper cups or popsicle holders, and then you use it to paint as it starts to thaw out.
Michael 04:45 PM 12-13-2011
I placed some tags on the bottom left that may help. Here is one's link: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...de+play+winter
JennyBear 05:29 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I placed some tags on the bottom left that may help. Here is one's link: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...de+play+winter

Thanks Michael!
JennyBear 05:30 PM 12-13-2011
Thanks for some of the great ideas!! The kids will love them!
Tags:outside play, outside play ideas, outside play winter
Reply Up