Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Garden With The Kids?
greenhouse 09:17 AM 01-12-2012
My own son has been in the garden since before he could walk. I have a new garden space available and was thinking about making a children's garden this spring. Any of you do this? If so how are your parents with it ( getting dirty)?
VTMom 09:23 AM 01-12-2012
2 years ago I gave each kid a 3 X 3 plot of garden to use - each made their own garden stone, selected their own veggies to plant, planted, etc. Of course I ended up weeding by myself. All but one lost interested by mid July! Last summer I planted my garden with the thought that it would be raided daily by the kids! They helped plant and water, harvest, and had an amazing intake of vegetables without knowing it!

I'll do the same this summer. It's a family garden where kid raiding is allowed and welcomed!
VTMom 09:23 AM 01-12-2012
Forgot to add...the parents loved it!!!
melskids 09:49 AM 01-12-2012
We love our garden! It's a big part of our summer.

Ours is pretty big...and the parents LOVE the veggies that the kiddos get to take home.

We plant anything and everything, however, at our elevation and short season, some things do way better then others.

And getting dirty in the garden is the least of my parents worries. They know me well, and how I feel about messy play.

They all bring me really old yucky clothes for the kids to wear when we are in the garden, making mud pies, or rolling in kiddie pools full of paint. I keep them here and wash them myself, and I just make sure to have them cleaned and changed by pick up time.
Cat Herder 10:00 AM 01-12-2012
It is a big hit.

The parents love it, especially when they bring home blueberries, strawberries and grapes.

www.americanmeadows.com
Heidi 10:05 AM 01-12-2012
I want to try one this year!
small_steps 10:33 AM 01-12-2012
I want to try this as well. When is a good time to start a garden?
Cat Herder 10:43 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by small_steps:
I want to try this as well. When is a good time to start a garden?
I added a link above to my personal fav supplier. Check out your hardiness zone, first (link on bottom of page right in "community")...then check out their blogs.

There are also lots of gardening forums online.
greenhouse 12:09 PM 01-12-2012
Oh great, I'm going to do it! My whole life is gardening, I have a 19 raised beds already, but it's so far from the play area. I'm going to do "easy" stuff like sunflowers, peas, cukes. I love nature science.
Countrygal 05:19 PM 01-12-2012
We just had a meeting (county) where this was discussed a little. Everyone agreed it is a winner to have a garden with the kids!

One lady used the cheap wading pools for the children's gardens. They made a raised bed and minimalized weeds. She said it worked wonderfully!
Tags:gardening
Reply Up