Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Verbal Comunication vs Notes/letters
jokalima 05:22 PM 05-29-2012
In your experience what works better?

I always try to tell parents verbally of closings or anything I need, I feel that if i just give them a letter is kind of, IDK impersonal? But @ the same time I feel that when I do give written notifications I end up with less arguing and questions.
SunshineMama 05:28 PM 05-29-2012
Letters always. Verbal too. You have to have something in paper to cover yourself in the event of a court case. It's unfortunate but those are the times we live in.
GretasLittleFriends 06:23 PM 05-29-2012
Personally I do both letters/hand-outs and verbal. I also keep a white board calendar by the door that has upcoming events (closures, etc). I can understand that the letters may feel impersonal, but it is documentation. In my experience the parents may forget what you tell them, but if they have it to reference later it helps jog their memory.

I just had a conversation with someone today, we'll call her Betty. Pertussis is going around our state with cases confirmed in our county. Children who have been vaccinated are even getting it. Betty asked my opinion because her neighbor, Sally's daycare provider required (by letter) that Sally take her daughter to the clinic to be evaluated to rule out pertussis. Sally's child has been sick for several weeks with a cough. Sally was offended for two reasons. #1 is she is a nurse, so she thinks her daughter is fine. #2 and more topic related is that the provider just gave her a letter and not a verbal request. I explained to Betty that in this situation I would definitely give a letter for documentation purposes but also a verbal to be more caring and not seem cold.
Countrygal 05:42 AM 05-30-2012
Like the OP, I, too have mainly done verbal at this point, and occasionally reinforced with a newsletter.

I have decided I need to institute something in writing. A lot of reasons, but mainly because people forget when just told.

I have chosen to try a daily report sheet for each child. I found one online I liked with checkmarks, etc.

Another reason is the hitting/pushing/biting problem I am having. I want the parents to see just how often their 4 yos are participating in these actions and when. Otherwise they think I'm just "picking on their child" or "tattling". This way they can see for themselves. If at that point the behavior doesn't improve, I at least have recorded the incidents and have tangible reasons for dismissal.

Now, if I can just be consistent enough to keep them up!
Zoe 06:00 AM 05-30-2012
If it's something that is needed to be delivered in a more professional manner, like a reminder of a policy, or addressing an issue, then I address it in a letter. But I also talk to the parents about it so that they know what to expect and don't get bombarded by something unexpected.

I learned a lesson last week about verbal vs. letter. I always send out my days off for the year, but give a written reminder on my daily notes two weeks before each day or vacation. Well one of my dcp's never showed up on Friday! She thought when I wrote down Memorial day, and the date btw, she thought I meant Friday instead of Monday so she made other arrangements! So thankfully she wasn't upset about the miscommunication and I learned to always say what I've written down as well so there's no confusion.
Ariana 10:44 AM 05-30-2012
If I gibe verbal I always follow up with a letter/email. I nearly always give an email and then remind them verbally the day before or whatever the case might be. I like to have it written down for my record keeping as well.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
In your experience what works better?

I always try to tell parents verbally of closings or anything I need, I feel that if i just give them a letter is kind of, IDK impersonal? But @ the same time I feel that when I do give written notifications I end up with less arguing and questions.
A good rule of thumb is to always tell the parent verbally (so there is no debate about whether they were notfified or not) but follow up with written notice as well (so there is proof of notice too).

That way you are ALWAYS protected.
MarinaVanessa 11:44 AM 05-30-2012
I do both. I always have a notice in writing that's more simple and to the point which may occasionally, depending on the topic, may quote my contract and policies. This is a business-like letter that's very impersonal.

Then I speak to each DCP individually about whatever is on the notice and I verbally tell them about what I wrote about in the letter. This is more personable. Then I hand them the notice. Once they get home they can read and review the notice on their own time. I always keep a copy of the letter posted if the letter was generally for all of my clients such as for daycare closings and holidays, illness policy reminders, policy changes etc.

Personally I feel that if I would only give out notices to my DCP's then they may feel awkward and like I was being less friendly but if I only talk to them I feel like that would leave me open to a client saying that I never told them KWIM? So I just do both too.
wdmmom 11:52 AM 05-30-2012
I do several different things.

I send emails, I post notice by the entrance and I verbally remind parents of special days, closings, etc.

Some parents aren't so great about checking their email, others don't remember when you tell them so I found that the notice at or on the door works best.
Reply Up