Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Own SA kids
lil angels 10:02 AM 06-08-2012
What do you. Do when school is out and you have kids 50 hrs week. My 9 yr old is driving me nuts already. I keep him busy with house work and things but feel bad that's the only thing I can seem to keep him busy with.

Any ideas? I can't drive him anywhere during dc hrs either.
itlw8 10:16 AM 06-08-2012
they went to day camps when friends moms could drive. They rode bikes, built forts, just had a grand old time checking back for food as needed.
Little planet 10:33 AM 06-08-2012
My 8 yr old and my 10 tr old make me crazy. Everything is boring.

They already painted, played the games, and read books.

I have a plan for them, but they complete everything in 10 minutes. It is very difficult to keep them busy. They just want to play video games ALL DAY LONG.

I guess being at home all day,is not easy for them.
Little planet 10:40 AM 06-08-2012
Right now they are reading a book and when they have finished reading, have to write a summary and make a small book with the cover (with a cereal box), do the drawings and stick together.
lil angels 10:36 AM 06-14-2012
I may have figured it out. My9 yr old wants a remote control boat for at the cabin. So I put together a list of things he needs to get done daily and no wining and I will give him $1 a day when he is done and he can get his boat and i can have some more help keeping up with things.
cheerfuldom 11:25 AM 06-14-2012
figure out some day trips or overnight trips to friends/family/grandparents. whatever it takes to get him out and occupied!
lil angels 12:25 PM 06-14-2012
All the grandparents work so they an take them during the week just weekends. And then it's no big deal. But it is still good because they have a change in atmosphere. Butwe are at the lake every weekend anyway. I just need them busy during dc hours.
JJPlaycare 12:49 PM 06-14-2012
I let my SA kids pretty much take over my day They play "school" they are the teachers, they read the stories to the littles, they get snack ready and plan it out. They have things they need to do, but on the really "Im bored days" this keeps them VERY busy! They become a teacher/daycare provider and I sit and watch and wonder how the kids listen so much better for them then myself.
JJPlaycare 12:52 PM 06-14-2012
I forgot to mention I also have an "Im bored" jar. If I hear them say it they have to pick something out of the jar. I put some chores in there and fun stuff too, gives them ideas of things to do....
familyschoolcare 02:57 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
they went to day camps when friends moms could drive. They rode bikes, built forts, just had a grand old time checking back for food as needed.
This is what we do. Only my oldest is 17 and sometimes walks or takes the bus. Sometimes very rarely they will come to my house. My DD helps withthe DCK plays games ect.
MyAngels 03:49 PM 06-14-2012
I just saw an ad on our local CL from a daycare provider who is looking for "someone to hang out with my 9 year old" for a few hours a couple of times a week. She wants someone who can drive, so that he/she can take her child places when she can't. I assume she's looking for a teenager, but I live in a college town so maybe someone older would be interested, too.

I thought it was an interesting idea, for some of you ladies here who have kids that age .
Reply Up