Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Unhappy Problems With Daycare Parents

Currently I have a problem with my daycare parents that's driving me a little nuts! Yes I have a policy but never thought I needed to spell this out. I recently took a week off for vacation ( the first one in 4 years!) and then needed a Friday off for a family reunion that I haven't seen family for almost 10 years. ( both unpaid) During this time off I had 80% of my parents contact me with things that I feel could have waited until Monday morning.

I do not know how to approach my parents with this. I need a vacation from job just as much as everyone else. I have posted business hours also. I am called an average of twice a day during my closed hours disturbing my time with my family and even have had to take daycare children with me for doctor appointments for my own child even after asking for time off. I do not feel like I am getting any time and parents just don't get it
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely

As for your issue, I would NOT be answering the phone and next time I would send a short note home with parents prior to any vacation or off days that says that if it is not an emergency do NOT call as a vacation or off day means NO work.

Dear Daycare parents

During my recent vacation, I was bombarded by phone calls from parents regarding child care and issues relating. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that from now on, during any vacations or days the child care is closed, I will not be accepting phone calls that relate to work.

You are free to leave a message on my voicemail or answering machine if it is an emergency and I will get back to you.

Thank you in advance as I am sure you all understand that a vacation means not having to think or deal with anything work related.

Sincerely,

Daycare Provider

Last edited by Blackcat31; 07-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Member Awaiting Status Upgrade

I think you should manage all your life in a time table and scheduled work. I am really happy about all that you are struggling. I have faced almost the same problem. I am a big fan of all persons who are fighting for their life and to get a better place.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidscare View Post
I think you should manage all your life in a time table and scheduled work. I am really happy about all that you are struggling. I have faced almost the same problem. I am a big fan of all persons who are fighting for their life and to get a better place.
HUH??????
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps View Post
HUH??????
I agree...that's why I didn't approve of it. However I didn't want to delete it because it has been a long morning
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Teacher View Post
I agree...that's why I didn't approve of it. However I didn't want to delete it because it has been a long morning
That was great. I love to feel appreciated for fighting for my life, and managing my timetable.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdaycaremom View Post
Currently I have a problem with my daycare parents that's driving me a little nuts! Yes I have a policy but never thought I needed to spell this out. I recently took a week off for vacation ( the first one in 4 years!) and then needed a Friday off for a family reunion that I haven't seen family for almost 10 years. ( both unpaid) During this time off I had 80% of my parents contact me with things that I feel could have waited until Monday morning.

I do not know how to approach my parents with this. I need a vacation from job just as much as everyone else. I have posted business hours also. I am called an average of twice a day during my closed hours disturbing my time with my family and even have had to take daycare children with me for doctor appointments for my own child even after asking for time off. I do not feel like I am getting any time and parents just don't get it
I had never had that happen to me until one week a few years ago. Not one but three of my dc moms called during a vacation week to ask non-urgent questions. One of them actually called me 3 times in as many days! I have a fair amount of patience but I have to say, their lack of consideration for my time off really ticked me off.

Ever since that week, I've learned to change the message on my answering machine and voicemail whenever I'm closed. "You've reached EJ's Day Care. We're on vacation this week but will reopen on (specify date). If you would like to leave a message, I will be returning calls by (usually the night before I'm due to reopen.) Seems to work; I haven't had anyone call me during vacation weeks since.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Wink

Quote:
HUH??????
Quote:
I approved it but haven't upgraded the member into non-moderated status yet as I am wondering too.

However, there are no crazy links or odd IP address issues so I am thinking it may just be a language barrier as the member has another post in another thread that was relavent to the thread but also worded as if English may not be their first language.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 07-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I approved it but haven't upgraded the member into non-moderated status yet as I am wonder too.

However, there are no crazy links or odd IP address issues so I am thinking it may just be a language barrier as the member has another post in another thread that was relavent to the thread but also worded as if English may not be their first language.
As long as it's not just me lol....like I said LONG morning!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I speak fluent German (and English...mostly...lol), so I've messed with the Google translation programs and they are hilarious. It translates each word individually, but can't put things in context. This may be what happened. The poster may have translated the thread into her language, answered it in her language, then translated back into English and pasted it back to the thread.

By then, it's a bit of a gobbledy-gook!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

I call this behavior cell phone fever. People think because they have a phone hooked in their hand if they think of something they should ask right then and get an answer right then.

I think texting is RUDE. do not bring your phone to my table. It can wait.

post a sign....... unless it is an emergency do NOT call during my family time.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM

send out the updated policy. do not answer phone or emails because then you send the message that your policy is not firm. I wouldnt even say "unless it is an emergency" because every parent has a different opinion about what is an emergency.

"During vacation and days offs, I am not readily available for any daycare related issues. You are welcome to leave a message or email and I will respond at my convenience."
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
HUH??????
That's exactly what I thought when iread if, lol
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
I speak fluent German (and English...mostly...lol), so I've messed with the Google translation programs and they are hilarious. It translates each word individually, but can't put things in context. This may be what happened. The poster may have translated the thread into her language, answered it in her language, then translated back into English and pasted it back to the thread.

By then, it's a bit of a gobbledy-gook!
LOL..that's true. I didn't think of that. I had to send a note to someone in Mexico once, and I can kind of speak Spanish, but, I ran it through one of those once and it seemed odd. So, before I sent it, I sent it to a friend in Central America and asked her if it was correct. She said "Not only is it not correct, you are insulting her grandson, and it makes no sense whatsoever...what are you TRYING to say?" She touched it up for me, and I have never again tried to make sense from a translator.

But, I should learn anyway right?.... Everyone should try to learn another language.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

This happened to me when I closed for a long weekend. It is the ONLY vacation I took this year and was for my anniversary. I was away with my husband and had a dcm blowing up my phone. I didn't reply until Sunday night when we returned and had a nice chat with her Monday morning about how I didn't appreciate it when I was closed.

I am seriously considering ordering a second cell phone for my personal use so that I can dedicate my current cell to daycare use only and turn it off!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

I know cell phones are beginning to replace home phones but I never give my cell number out for this reason. They have access to you 24/7. If I have a parent call after hours I choose to answer it or not. If they were texting me I think that would drive me nuts. I also think this texting your problems to the provider is ridiculous too. I have noticed alot pf parents text complaints to their providers. It's like the texting has taken over our way of communication. JMO....... I always email or have a face to face conversation.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 AM
False Sense Of Authority

I get so many phone calls before and after work, it ridiculous. I just don't answer, unless I just left work or am on the way.

I tried to tell everyone on their way out that I am on vacation next week and it's been on the calendar for the past month, but I know I'll still get some calls.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Default A parent's perspective

You absolutely have the right to not respond during vacations.
But, it may not be malice or greed causing them to disturb you.
Many daycare parents (myself included) may work in business/tech/other fields where there is no real concept of "off" time as pertains to email and text. I get emails at midnight, on the weekends, on holidays.. I write them at 3 am after I've been wakened by the baby.. when I go on vacation, I do not go physically into the office, but I still get emails. For these busy and stressed parents, it truly, honestly, might not have even occurred to them that they are invading your off time. They are so used to just sending work related emails at any time, on holidays, evenings, weekends, they don't remember that for "normal people" these times are off limits. I myself apparently pissed of a daycare admissions officer by texting her on labor day, asking to schedule a call. I didn't expect her to write back on the holiday, I was just writing them because I had a minute to do so, and those minutes are few and far between. But it angered her enough I can't get an interview now.
Honestly, these parents may mean no harm and may simply need a reminder that off time is truly off. That may not be the case in their work worlds.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You absolutely have the right to not respond during vacations.
But, it may not be malice or greed causing them to disturb you.
Many daycare parents (myself included) may work in business/tech/other fields where there is no real concept of "off" time as pertains to email and text. I get emails at midnight, on the weekends, on holidays.. I write them at 3 am after I've been wakened by the baby.. when I go on vacation, I do not go physically into the office, but I still get emails. For these busy and stressed parents, it truly, honestly, might not have even occurred to them that they are invading your off time. They are so used to just sending work related emails at any time, on holidays, evenings, weekends, they don't remember that for "normal people" these times are off limits. I myself apparently pissed of a daycare admissions officer by texting her on labor day, asking to schedule a call. I didn't expect her to write back on the holiday, I was just writing them because I had a minute to do so, and those minutes are few and far between. But it angered her enough I can't get an interview now.
Honestly, these parents may mean no harm and may simply need a reminder that off time is truly off. That may not be the case in their work worlds.
That makes it understandable but it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.

I don’t mean to sound harsh but your reasoning is basically “it truly, honestly, might not have even occurred to them”

.....and that’s precisely the issue.
Parents need to think beyond themselves.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

I 1000% agree with Blackcat.

This is an issue that gets under my skin so much. Just because you can send a text at 3am, doesn't mean you should. If you are up at 3am and don't think you'll remember to send that text about little Jill's schedule, why not just set a reminder in your phone to touch base during business hours? You seriously won't ever have 2 minutes to spare between 7am-5pm, M-F?

Unlike some others, I refuse to add on to my expenses by purchasing an additional phone line just to deter disrespectful people from contacting during off hours. There's already too little profit to justify that added luxury.
I also refuse to turn my phone off- I need it on for family members with medical issues.

So ultimately, if a family or prospective client doesn't respect my personal time, I won't take them on.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly? It ticks me off way more when phone calls/texts come from ad companies or other places that have no right at all, to my phone number.

I'm retired now but if calls came in that weren't within an acceptable time frame, I would wait until I could or wanted to answer. The dcfs with whom I had a closer relationship, I always kept in contact with. But with me, I had no kids or family at home(for many years) that also needed my attention so that definitely played a part.

OP is from 8 years ago.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:07 PM
Lover of all things B&W

None of my parents actually have my cellphone number. They contact me solely through the childcare app we use. I can choose to respond or not. This is a big reason parents don't have the number
Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 AM

I work in a center and our policy is NOT to give the parents our personal emails or phone numbers. They can contact me through the center phone during business hours or through the app we use.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do give out my cell number, but only respond during off hours if I feel like it. Usually a quick response is enough, but if a parent just won't quit I stop replying.

I figure that KinderCare's teachers and administrator don't respond after hours or weekends so I don't need to either.

Tags
boundaries, calling during off hours, parent issues, parents - don't cooperate, provider vacation