Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Panties??
Dia 10:44 AM 04-28-2015
I have a newish dcg, just turned 2. She is potty trained and has been since she started at 22 months. when she started she was in panties every day, then she started wearing diaper covers (the rough cotton ones you usually find under baby dresses) one day she showed up in a swim suit bottom, and then she came in panties that were a size 10 .......little girl size 10 but......., the day she wore those her panties kept falling down both sides of her legs so I had to find some extras for he.

Now she comes 3-4 days a week with NO PANTIES at all. I just find this odd and more than anything I feel like she should wear panties because surely it is uncomfortable. Is it just me? Can you make a parent put panties on their child? What is the reasoning if you have to require it?

My policies have gotten so long after 4 years it is crazy, why do some parents need to be told EVERYTHING!?
spinnymarie 10:45 AM 04-28-2015
Yikes. I would send her away at the door without underpants on, and require that several be left at my house as well.
Shell 10:47 AM 04-28-2015
I might be the odd man out here, but it wouldn't bother me, unless of course she was wearing a skirt- that would be where I would draw the line.
Some people don't like the feel of underwear, so maybe it just bothers dcg and dcm just let's it be?
hope 10:49 AM 04-28-2015
Maybe her parents are laying out her clothing and not realizing she is not putting panties on. At 2 that seems unlikely but you never know. Either way you can and should demand that she has something on.
On a side note....DD dressed herself one day in a maxi dress and went to school. I did get a call a few minutes into the school day from the nurse telling me DD forgot to put on panties. I was soooooo embarrassed. I quickly went to the school with some. It happens.
Annalee 10:50 AM 04-28-2015
It would bother me. I bet she is dressing herself and the parents don't even know. BUT this is their child and they should be more observant than that.
KiddieCahoots 10:52 AM 04-28-2015
Maybe her parents don't wear any either?

Maybe she still has accidents at home, over night, and has ruined a few that haven't been replaced?

Can you ask the parents? Or casually bring it up in conversation that you need a change of clothes for her with more underwear, and see what they say.
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I might be the odd man out here, but it wouldn't bother me, unless of course she was wearing a skirt- that would be where I would draw the line.
Some people don't like the feel of underwear, so maybe it just bothers dcg and dcm just let's it be?

Unless she is "flashing" others, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

I've known plenty of adults that go commando or wear things that hardly constitute as underwear so it wouldn't bother me if a child didn't wear any PROVIDED it didn't cause any distractions or other bothersome behaviors.

I don't think all cultures wear underwear either.

I've also heard lots of unique reasons for not wearing undies..... IMHO, this is one of those "to each his/her own" situations.
Annalee 11:43 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I've known plenty of adults that go commando or wear things that hardly constitute as underwear so it wouldn't bother me if a child didn't wear any PROVIDED it didn't cause any distractions or other bothersome behaviors.

I've also heard lots of unique reasons for not wearing undies..... IMHO, this is one of those "to each his/her own" situations.
Maybe, but I would worry about the parents saying she had them on when she come to daycare and put it back on the provider. I guess I am just overcautious but that is just me.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Maybe, but I would worry about the parents saying she had them on when she come to daycare and put it back on the provider. I guess I am just overcautious but that is just me.
Easy fix

"Hey DCM, just wanted you to know Melissa has been coming without undies the past few days. It doesn't bother me either way but I didn't want you to think she was ditching them while she was here."
Thriftylady 11:51 AM 04-28-2015
It wouldn't bother me unless she had a dress or something on. But I would probably mention it to mom.
Annalee 11:51 AM 04-28-2015
Easy fix

"Hey DCM, just wanted you to know Melissa has been coming without undies the past few days. It doesn't bother me either way but I didn't want you to think she was ditching them while she was here."
If I knew the parent well, I would do this, but if not, I would call immediately for fear of what can happen with clients. Funny thing is, used to this would not have bothered me, but times are changing and I am very non-trusting.
jenboo 04:06 PM 04-28-2015

I had one DCB who always came in undies. He had a hard time getting them back on after going potty so he would just toss them in his cubbie.
It didn't bother me or him. I just told mom that DCB always puts them in his cubbie because he didn't like wearing them.
End of situation.

I would only be concerned if she was in a dress or skirt where her goods were exposed.
nannyde 04:41 PM 04-28-2015
Ewww no

Tell mom she must come in undies that fit every day. When she arrives ask her mom if she checked her undies.
daycare 04:43 PM 04-28-2015
i would require them. Zippers, clothing lining rubbing on privates or such could cause other issues. As well as sandbox, if you have one. No one wants sand where the sun don't shine.
MyAngels 05:53 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
i would require them. Zippers, clothing lining rubbing on privates or such could cause other issues. As well as sandbox, if you have one. No one wants sand where the sun don't shine.

I'd be curious as heck as to what was going on and would definitely ask the parents.
Controlled Chaos 07:23 PM 04-28-2015
My kids don't love wearing undies. They love they don't have to wear them for bedtime. Sometimes I realize at the end of the day my 5yo dd went commando under her leggings all day. Not a big deal. We do have a rule, shorts are always worn under dresses and skirts. Unless she is flashing other kids, I don't think it's any of your business. Don't sweat it.
Nurse Jackie 07:30 PM 04-28-2015
Easy fix

CraftyMom 07:36 PM 04-28-2015
I'm thinking dcg doesn't like them and probably gives her parents a hard time about wearing them. Sounds like they tried other things to get her to wear them... the bloomers, the bathing suit, the bigger underwear...sounds like they used bigger items, maybe she doesn't like the tightness of them.

I would just ask. "Is dcg protesting underwear these days?"
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I'm thinking dcg doesn't like them and probably gives her parents a hard time about wearing them. Sounds like they tried other things to get her to wear them... the bloomers, the bathing suit, the bigger underwear...sounds like they used bigger items, maybe she doesn't like the tightness of them.

I would just ask. "Is dcg protesting underwear these days?"
oh the constraints of modern society!

Your comment just struck me as funny!

I am surprised at the those that are so adamant about requiring underwear. Like I said, there is NO medical or health reason to HAVE to wear underwear and I've heard of lots of reasons not to wear them but I've never thought of them as mandatory....kwim?

If a toddler/preschool kid was wearing sweat pants or legging I can totally see how not having underwear would be super comfy and feel good too!

The first thing I do when I get home is change into my sweats, pj pants or yoga pants. Minus my underwear!
CraftyMom 06:33 AM 04-29-2015

I am surprised at the those that are so adamant about requiring underwear. Like I said, there is NO medical or health reason to HAVE to wear underwear and I've heard of lots of reasons not to wear them but I've never thought of them as mandatory....kwim?

If a toddler/preschool kid was wearing sweat pants or legging I can totally see how not having underwear would be super comfy and feel good too!

The first thing I do when I get home is change into my sweats, pj pants or yoga pants. Minus my underwear!
Now THAT made me laugh!

I wouldn't have an issue with no underwear either. Dcg probably just doesn't like them.

My 4 yo son right now will not wear socks. He hasn't worn them in months. I have so many people question "why isn't he wearing socks?" I just tell them "I have bigger fish to fry. I'm not worried about his socks" He doesn't like the seams of the socks, he says "his socks tease him". No big deal, I prefer to be barefoot myself. So unless he starts getting blisters from not wearing socks with his shoes then I don't see why it bothers people
CraftyMom 06:34 AM 04-29-2015
I do agree though, that if dcg is wearing a dress or loose shorts then she should have them on for privacy issues
nannyde 06:56 AM 04-29-2015

TMI

I'm beginning to rethink our friendship
daycare 07:06 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
TMI

Lol hhahahaah.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 04-29-2015
TMI

I take my bra off too!!!
Dia 09:15 AM 04-29-2015
Thanks for all the replies, they read kind of like my thought process on this one, some days I don't really care, then sometimes it bothers me (mainly when she wears those diaper covers because they are so rough), some days I would think I should be concerned but I couldn't think of any reason why......that's why I asked

I ran around naked most days until I was 8 (we lived on the top of a mountain in the woods) just because I could if I wanted to. So I really don't mind if she wears undies or not I more or less thought I should be concerned but couldn't solidify any reason to be concerned.
Thriftylady 09:56 AM 04-29-2015
I take my bra off too!!!
Ok I will admit it, I will take those items off as well. I have a latex sensitivity and they make me itch horribly. And I haven't figured out how to use any without elastic.
nannyde 12:40 PM 04-29-2015
I take my bra off too!!!
I can't wear bras. After having shingles amd having post herpatic neuralgia, it is so painful to have anything tight on my back.

No undies... icky ick ick. Can't go there
kitykids3 01:21 PM 04-29-2015
If she didn't have pants on (just a skirt or short shorts) I would require them for possibility of showing something. Either way I am comfortable enough with all of my parents that I'd just give a quick "are you aware dcg hasn't been wearing undies lately?" No biggie.
spud912 01:51 PM 04-29-2015
No undies... icky ick ick. Can't go there
Sorry, BC, I'm with nannyde on this one
Reply Up