Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you always tell parents when their infant had a terrible day?
Indoorvoice 09:15 AM 07-09-2015
I have a 4mo in my care who just really struggles about every other day. I'm trying to stick it out because I truly feel it is a schedule issue that will only last until mom starts a more regular job in the fall (he comes 2 6 hour days in the middle of the week and the rest are 10 hour days. The short days really throw him through a loop). I know I used to hate hearing every day when my dd was struggling in daycare, but I did appreciate knowing I guess. He is so inconsolable on Thursdays after the short day Wednesday. He is never happy or content, even when eating. Only during naps. Would you be communicating this? Calling for pick up every single time? It's not the norm around here to do that. I just hate telling them every day that he screamed all day.
Thriftylady 09:18 AM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have a 4mo in my care who just really struggles about every other day. I'm trying to stick it out because I truly feel it is a schedule issue that will only last until mom starts a more regular job in the fall (he comes 2 6 hour days in the middle of the week and the rest are 10 hour days. The short days really throw him through a loop). I know I used to hate hearing every day when my dd was struggling in daycare, but I did appreciate knowing I guess. He is so inconsolable on Thursdays after the short day Wednesday. He is never happy or content, even when eating. Only during naps. Would you be communicating this? Calling for pick up every single time? It's not the norm around here to do that. I just hate telling them every day that he screamed all day.
If it is a scheduling issue calling for pick up might make it worse. I would let the parents know, but I would also let them know what I think the issue is.
childcaremom 09:20 AM 07-09-2015
Would you be willing to do the full day instead of the short days?

Maybe have a chat with mom and explain that you've noticed a pattern of x,y and z and that he does better when he is here for the full day and would she be willing/able to do the full day each day?
Blackcat31 09:22 AM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I share when necessary or if a parent asks.

In cases of kids needing to have their schedules adjusted to solve the issue, I would absolutely tell the parent.

I don't tell in a complaining type of manner but more of an informative manner.

"DCM, just wanted to keep you in the loop about Johnny's day and want you to be aware that although I am doing my best to provide for him, he is struggling and does spend a good portion of the day screaming; especially on Thursdays. If you have any suggestions or tips that would work for me here, I'd appreciate it."

Keeping the lines of communication open and on-going is important...especially if you end up having to term. That trail of discussions helps.
Indoorvoice 09:34 AM 07-09-2015
Ah, thank you! That gives me a starting point. I am more than willing to go full days, it's dcm who doesn't want him here if she isn't working, which is awesome! But she makes no attempt to keep his schedule the same so he goes from snuggles most of the day at home, napping whenever, has dcm all to himself, and gets all the attention he wants, to the full day daycare setting the next day and I'm sure it's tough! I will bring it up tonight. I hate giving bad reports because I feel like it's a reflection of me, but if a simple schedule change will resolve it, it makes sense to talk about it.
CraftyMom 12:14 PM 07-09-2015
I always tell if they ask, but in general I wouldn't talk about it every day. Parents only want to hear that they have the best child on earth. IME they ask questions wanting to look concerned or like they want to help, but the truth is they really DON'T want to hear it and will get sick of hearing it over and over.
Reply Up