Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sitting On Other Kids!
Unregistered 04:46 PM 08-08-2015
I hate to say it, but there's no child that has been in my care that wasn't a relative or related to someone I knew before hand, that I really miss. Do you miss your former kids?
e.j. 05:09 PM 08-08-2015
I miss many of my former day care kids; some more than others. There are also a few that I don't miss at all.
Play Care 05:09 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I hate to say it, but there's no child that has been in my care that wasn't a relative or related to someone I knew before hand, that I really miss. Do you miss your former kids?
Not really. I enjoy them while I have them, but then it's out of sight out of mind.
LysesKids 05:10 PM 08-08-2015
Actually I have a few... the families & I got real close and I am still friends with them lol. One has been out of care 11 years but we still chat on FB (family lives in Japan). I become Nana to a bunch of newborns and keep them just under 2 years - have always been treated as one of the family including weddings & birthdays for the ones that are close
Crazy8 05:19 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Not really. I enjoy them while I have them, but then it's out of sight out of mind.
same. I have a lousy memory to begin with so really don't even remember much detail about former dckids.
Sunshine74 05:23 PM 08-08-2015
I do miss certain ones, yes.
Play Care 05:43 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
same. I have a lousy memory to begin with so really don't even remember much detail about former dckids.
My first couple years of day care I had a wonderful little boy. When he went off to K he no longer came here (mom teaches at the school so he didn't need b/a care) but one day they had a teacher inservice day so mom asked if I could take him. He had only been gone a couple months at this point. The other dck's were so thrilled to see him and he just looked like a deer in the headlights. At one point he was trying to get away from everyone and hollered "I DONT EVEN REMEMBER YOU!!!"

That was my lightbulb moment.

Three years of care, gone for maybe three months tops, and he didn't even remember us... So yeah, I enjoy them when they're here.
midaycare 07:28 PM 08-08-2015
My first couple years of day care I had a wonderful little boy. When he went off to K he no longer came here (mom teaches at the school so he didn't need b/a care) but one day they had a teacher inservice day so mom asked if I could take him. He had only been gone a couple months at this point. The other dck's were so thrilled to see him and he just looked like a deer in the headlights. At one point he was trying to get away from everyone and hollered "I DONT EVEN REMEMBER YOU!!!"

Three years of care, gone for maybe three months tops, and he didn't even remember us... So yeah, I enjoy them when they're here.
That is a horrible story!
permanentvacation 08:04 PM 08-08-2015
It's so odd that I switched from my Facebook page to this website and saw this post. I literally just wrote a comment on one of my former daycare kids' parent's Facebook post. I am Facebook friends with the parents, but we haven't seen each other in over a year. I watched their little girl from age 18 months until 5 years old when she entered kindergarten. I miss all of them something awful! I felt more like an aunt to the little girl and really got along with her parents more like close friends rather than a client/provider relationship. When she left my care, it literally broke my heart! I cried for weeks about missing her! We visited each other a few times for the first few months after she left, but drifted away from each other eventually.

I also have moments when I think of my very first daycare child 25 years ago. She was the coolest kid! She was fun, hard (she didn't cry at the drop of a hat), you could joke around with her, she was sweet and loving, and helpful. I started watching her when she was 3 years old and kept her until she was in 2nd or 3rd grade. My oldest daughter was a newborn when I started watching her and she was practically like a big sister to my oldest daughter. I happened to come across her family a couple of years ago and they invited me to a parade in their area and to their family get-together. I enjoyed seeing them, but again, we didn't really keep in touch. I have moved about 1/2 hour away from where they live (they still live where I used to live when I watched her). So, due to the distance between us, we don't get together. But we are Facebook friends, so we keep in touch there.

I have a couple of other kids that I really connected with and think of often. Actually, my younger daughter is named after one of my previous daycare kids! Here's that story... My older daughter and I were sitting outside having a picnic dinner one day. She looked up at the sky and told me that the babies were crying. I asked her "What babies were crying and why are they crying?" She told me that the babies in Heaven are crying because one of them wants me to be her mommy. A couple of days later, I found out that I was pregnant! So, when I told my older daughter that I was pregnant, she said that she wanted the baby to be a girl and wanted her name to be 'such and such' just like 'so and so' (her friend's name in my daycare). So, we named the baby after the daycare kid just like my daughter wanted us to do. The sad part is that I stopped watching that daycare child before we decided to name my daughter after her, so she has no idea that we named our baby after her which I would love to tell her because I think that she would think it's neat to have someone named after her.

There was another little boy who was just the cutest and sweetest thing. He was about 1 1/2 years old when I started watching him and my older daughter took to him as if he was her baby brother. His mother and I ran into each other in the mall a few years ago and they came over to visit, but that was the only time we've seen each other since I stopped watching him. I knew he wouldn't have a clue who I was since he was 3 years old when I stopped watching him and 3 years had gone by.

There was another little girl who was just the sweetest thing. She was 3 years old. She connected with my personal children and was more like their little sister and her mother and I connected really well.

So yes, I do have some of my former kids that my personal kids and I really connected with who I do miss.
Gemma 09:13 PM 08-08-2015
I only miss the ones that I enjoyed caring for!
Meeko 10:40 PM 08-08-2015
Some... sorry to say I couldn't wait to see them go.

Some I miss every single day.

Several I have kept in close contact with for many years.

This is my most favorite daycare kid ever............with her own son!

She's 27 now and we talk on the phone often and chat on FB almost daily.. She came to me at 6 weeks old and it broke my heart to leave her when we moved away when she was three. We have never lost contact. I have photos of her going to KG.....graduating high school, graduating college, getting married and having her son etc.

...and yet I forget the names of kids who left 6 months ago! Go figure!
Attached: 1782019_10207515144463576_7730484253073074514_n.jpg (41.2 KB) 
Unregistered 11:07 PM 08-08-2015

I had an experience like this once. It was that the mother couldn't find a spot for the girl for the day I took her in under the impression she liked being here. There were a few issues. Mostly that she was a bully. She was always a bully mean girl type. She said to me in a really mean tone "This is why I don't come here any more. I told my mom I don't like it here". I lost it and said "Good, you might boss her around. You're not the boss here". I let her have a fit over little thing.
childcaremom 02:06 AM 08-09-2015

When I closed down last year, a few parents commented on how hard the transition would be for the child, they'd miss me, etc. I reminded them that their child would take their cues from the parents and that, in all honesty, the children probably wouldn't remember me in a few months. They didn't believe it and yet.... ran into a few of them about 6 months later and they didn't remember me.

Having said that, I do get attached to my kiddos. I miss the majority once they move on. I do have a few that I miss dearly and a few that, well, not so much.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 08-09-2015
Definitely some. I had a former dcm and her 8 yo drop by Friday to visit. They both gave me hugs and said how much they missed me and loved me. Dcb said 'how about a game of cards?' Ironic because this was a little guy who was(and still is!) very physically aggressive so I was always on his case. But it's good to know he has fond memories. I'd had him since he was a big blue-eyed bald happy baby. And his dear sweet 11 yo sister, I miss her so much. Then there's another sweet little girl who turned 8 this past May, I miss her terribly. The 2 older girls I have this summer I will miss with all my heart, plus their brother who is now 14. Egad, the 11 yo started coming when she was 18 months.

Most of them I miss terribly in the beginning but then you get new children, your time and life gets filled again. Before you know it a year, then 2, has gone by and you're thinking...hmm wonder whatever happened to so-n-so.

And yes, then there are the few that you go through the motions, hope they do well, but cannot wait until they start school. Let's face it, we can't bond 100% with all of them.
MsLisa 07:53 AM 08-09-2015
I very lightly miss the boy that started my career in childcare, like when I see beyblades or someone who looks like him. I'm glad they gave me the chance they did.

Now that summer camp is almost over, I will miss this gang that I got to know for 12 weeks. Some more then others.

I'm excited to see my Afterschool kids again, the ones that didn't go to camp. I can't wait for their stories, quirks and chaos. Its sad knowing some will not be coming back for various reason, but they always somehow find me. I've gotten so many visits and "run ins" over the summer its like they never leave. lol.

Although I'm a very guarded selectively social person, I make it a point to bond with any kids that come into my care. They become my children therefore when they leave they take a tiny piece of me. I don't mind because its the reason I love my job.
Snowmom 09:37 AM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Some... sorry to say I couldn't wait to see them go.

Some I miss every single day.

Several I have kept in close contact with for many years.

This is my most favorite daycare kid ever............with her own son!

She's 27 now and we talk on the phone often and chat on FB almost daily.. She came to me at 6 weeks old and it broke my heart to leave her when we moved away when she was three. We have never lost contact. I have photos of her going to KG.....graduating high school, graduating college, getting married and having her son etc.

...and yet I forget the names of kids who left 6 months ago! Go figure!
That's so awesome!
I hope I get to keep in touch that long with my favorites.

There have been a couple who I still miss regularly. In those instances, it's always the whole family I miss, not just the kids.

And there's some that I celebrated leaving too. Seriously... my husband and I literally went out to dinner and drank nearly 2 bottles of my favorite wine in celebration of my upcoming problem-free week ahead.
Sunchimes 02:22 PM 08-09-2015
I just bought a birthday card for my first daycare girl. I got her at 6 months and she stayed until she went off to pre-k at 4. She's been gone a year, although I still saw her at pick up since I had her brother for another 5 months. He left last winter for PPCD. I went to her dance recital, but it was 3 HOURS LONG, so I didn't stay to the end and see her. I got to see her brother, but he is autistic and other delays. It had only been 3 months but he didn't even acknowledge me.

I still see my 2nd and 3rd kids at WM aka the Town Social Center. They both stayed a year, have been gone 2-3 years, but they still run and hug me when we see them around town.

Last summer, I was at a yard sale and a little boy ran up and hugged me. Umm?????? Then I saw his grandma and knew who he was. He was just with me every other Saturday for about 6 months when he was 2. I couldn't believe he knew me. He was a doll then and now, and I felt horrible about not recognizing him. But, he was twice as big!!! I'm good at pretending, so he never knew.

There are others that I have no interest in seeing again. I don't miss them one bit.

I have one now that I am already dreading losing. She's just 1, and mom says she will be here until I kick them out crying and screaming. ;-) I think I would actually do pre-k for this child. Of course, she's just now starting to talk and walk, so opinions may change.
BumbleBee 06:29 PM 08-09-2015
Some yes, some no.

When I started I had this darling little girl who was 7 months old. Her parents were awesome in every way. They moved away when she was about 15 months old. Just last week I got a call from her mom asking if I had a spot because they were moving back to the area. Sadly I did not, but I put her on my waiting list. The little girl just turned 3.

Some kids I miss because I know their parents are screwing them up royally. Don't miss most of the parents though.

Oddly, some of the toughest kids I miss the most. Go figure. Drove me up the wall with worry and frustration while they were here but now that they're gone I find myself worrying about them even more. One kid who left was starting to head down the right path while he was here, he was 10 I think. Now he's coming up on 12 and has been in juvie multiple times on drug possession charges.

You can't save em all, but darnit all I wish I could.
e.j. 06:30 PM 08-09-2015
At one point he was trying to get away from everyone and hollered "I DONT EVEN REMEMBER YOU!!!"

Oh, wow! The poor kid! Must not have been a fun time for you either!

It's true, though. I've run into kids who I had watched for several years and if it's been long enough, they really don't remember me or the day care at all.
Stephnrich 07:18 PM 08-09-2015
Some I miss a lot, most I really don't. It is kind of sad that most of them won't remember us, but I'd like to think they will remember the happy feelings.
Play Care 03:25 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
That is a horrible story!
Well, yeah.
He was a great kid and I LOVED having him in care. Missed him terribly when he left. Was thrilled to have him back for a day.
was DEVASTATED to realize that he had NO memory of the past 2 1/2 years

He did warm up eventually, but that was the last time I watched him. The next time his mom asked I was full. I felt for him, but I also felt for the other kids too. And the kids in my FT care are always my higher priority.
DaveA 04:31 AM 08-10-2015
This is me. I enjoy occasionally seeing an old child/ family in public, but aside from that when they're gone that's it.
hope 05:30 AM 08-10-2015
Many are out of sight, out of mind. As much as I adore all the children I care for I usually don't miss their parents. I do have a family that I have become close with and I do invite the family to do things off hours. These kids I will always think about and care dearly for. Parenting makes all the difference. I wish parents realized how their behavior affects their children.
CraftyMom 06:09 AM 08-10-2015
Most of them no, I do not miss them. There are a few though.

I learned the hard way that they forget me as soon as they leave.

I had a dcb that it broke my heart when he left, he was one of my favorites and I did not want him to go. He ended up being on my son's soccer team a few months later (he and my son were best buddies in daycare). I was happy to see him. He remembered my son, gave him a big hug. Then I bent down for a hug and he ran to his mom and hid behind her leg. Then he saw my mother in law, who is my very part time assistant, and ran past me to give her a hug! I was heart broken! How does he remember her, who he only met several times, but not me...the one who took care of him day in and day out for a year and a half?

Anyway, since then I learned not to miss them
Leigh 07:19 AM 08-10-2015

Wow-I still remember my preschool teacher from 38 years ago! I can still remember exactly the layout of her school, and even one of the songs we sang, the snacks we ate, and some of the toys she had!
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 08-10-2015
I've been in business for over 2 decades....I've had somewhere between 250-300 kids come through my doors over those years.

Some made a life long impact on me, my business and/or how I do things (some negative and some positive) and others have come and gone without a blink of an eye.

Some I miss and still stay in touch with, some I miss and have never seen again. In some cases, its just the kids I miss and in other cases just the parents...while in some cases it's the whole family.

Some I do NOT miss at all but remember them as if they were here yesterday and some I don't miss at all and/or hardly remember.
childcaremom 07:37 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Most of them no, I do not miss them. There are a few though.

I learned the hard way that they forget me as soon as they leave.

I had a dcb that it broke my heart when he left, he was one of my favorites and I did not want him to go. He ended up being on my son's soccer team a few months later (he and my son were best buddies in daycare). I was happy to see him. He remembered my son, gave him a big hug. Then I bent down for a hug and he ran to his mom and hid behind her leg. Then he saw my mother in law, who is my very part time assistant, and ran past me to give her a hug! I was heart broken! How does he remember her, who he only met several times, but not me...the one who took care of him day in and day out for a year and a half?

Anyway, since then I learned not to miss them
That's hard. I had a few that I thought for sure would remember me... nope. Heartbreaking.
Play Care 08:33 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Wow-I still remember my preschool teacher from 38 years ago! I can still remember exactly the layout of her school, and even one of the songs we sang, the snacks we ate, and some of the toys she had!
Not to be sexist, but I do wonder if it's because he's a boy? I had a little girl here the same time as him, and when we see her out, she does remember me/what we did, etc.
Reply Up