Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Do Interviews/Tours??
Unregistered 02:28 PM 01-13-2011
Just curious when do people do their interviews/tours? I had one this am and it was a disaster! I had 3 crying kids all wanting me to hold them, while I was trying to talk the prospective mom! I want the parents to get to see the kids and what we do with them, but today was awful (it was raining and one kid just came back from vacation). I think I'll only schedule tours for late afternoon or days when I have 2 kids only. Thanks for your input, I really need to fill this spot and I'm sure today's family won't be coming!
Unregistered 04:29 PM 01-13-2011
Hi,
I usually will do interviews in the evenings. Some parents are looking for a different DC provider, maybe not liking the one they currently have and want to schedule the interview at the time when they pick up their child, on their way home. It does not interfere with our dinner as my own kids are all grown and out on their own, so can fix dinner for hubby and me whenever. I also do interviews or try to do them when it is nap time for my DC kids, so it is quiet and we can really talk. Sometimes that time frame works for parents and sometimes not, but I try and do them when it is more of a quiet time, if possible. Saturdays are also a good day to schedule an interview. I know it is hard to schedule them during the day when the kids are all playing, but you just have to do it when you and parent have the time.
As far as a tour, my home is small, so there is not many rooms to show them. I show where the kids will be playing, napping, the kitchen and then they see living room as they come into my house. I guess I should explain that I only take 2 kids at this time, so there is not many kids running around for an interview if it is during the day. One thing I am very fussy about for interviews is that I will make sure my house is clean and picked up before they come for the interview. I do know that it is that first 2 minutes you met the parents that they will form their opinion of you and your home and you usually will form your opinion of them. If they feel comfortable when they first met you, then the interview should go well.
So that is what I do. Nothing special. Good luck with your interviews.
KEG123 04:30 PM 01-13-2011
I'd never invite anyone over during business hours. If I was the parent of one of your daycare kids, I'd be upset too. The person you were interviewing could have been someone "bad" who could have done anything to you or the daycare kids.

I will only do interviews after hours or on weekends, and only when my boyfriend is home.
Unregistered 07:07 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I'd never invite anyone over during business hours. If I was the parent of one of your daycare kids, I'd be upset too. The person you were interviewing could have been someone "bad" who could have done anything to you or the daycare kids.

I will only do interviews after hours or on weekends, and only when my boyfriend is home.
Good Point! In this world of ours today, you have to be really cautious. I did however, forgot to mention that I will have someone over with me when it is during the day. My neighbor next door and I are good friends and she will usually come over and sit with me. Otherwise, in the evenings or on Saturdays, my hubby is here with me. I also will inform my daycare parents if someone is coming over for an interview that day, so that they are aware of it and so far no problems with it. I also will try and size up the parent when I am talking to them on the phone before hand and if anything sound a little off, I don't do the interview, also I will watch them as they come up to the house and if anything seems strange, I will not answer the door. I also do not do interviews with parents unless they have their child with them.
i
alyssyn 07:33 PM 01-13-2011
I schedule interviews on Saturdays. I never interview during dc hours.
Unregistered 07:50 PM 01-13-2011
Thanks for responses. When I was looking at places to send my son (didn't like any of them, so decided to start my own) I was always given a tour during school hours. So that is how I started off doing tours, but it's too hard to predict how the kids are going to be at that exact moment. I'll stick to Fridays when I have only 2 and Saturdays from now on.
DBug 02:56 AM 01-14-2011
I had the exact same experience -- scheduled an interview during hours and it was a disaster! I only do evenings and weekends now. It's sooo much easier. And I make sure my husband is home to watch our own kids. Did a weekend interview without him and that was an even bigger disaster! My kids are old enough to know better, and yet still got themselves locked in the basement during the interview. The keys were down there with them. Not good. I never heard from either of the families again ...
MissAnn 03:01 AM 01-14-2011
I do an orientation visit after hours. If all goes well and it's a good fit, they can schedule a short visit (15 minutes) while kids are here.
BentleysBands 03:13 AM 01-14-2011
Never ever during business hours! This OS for everyone's safety

I do interviews after hours @ 7pm and never a weekend.

Once I meet and feel its a good match we do a 2hr playdate. Most times the parent never stays.
WImom 04:29 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:

I agree and only do interviews after hours. I have scheduled a 2nd interview a few times in the afternoon if the parent wants to see how their child does with the other kids but never for the first interview. I also 90% of the time have my husband home when I do the interview too. You just never know.
SilverSabre25 05:44 AM 01-14-2011
Interviews only after hours or with at most one daycare child here, and I try to ALWAYS do them when DH is here. He's a big part of my daycare and I need the parents to see that and know that from the very beginning.
Little People 06:43 AM 01-14-2011
I did my very first interview during the day because I had no kids She signed all contracts and paid for the following week. They were here about 2 hours and I had a great time with her and the children.
Second interview was at 9:30 am and I had my first 2 girls here. The mom and 2 children was here till 11:30 (and I had told her when we spoke on the phone I had to start lunch at 11:00) The interview was good but my rooms were a MESS!! She did enroll with me a week later though.
Third interview was again at 9:30 and same thing she overstaid and lunch and naptime was late.

Now I learned my lesson I interview at 5:30pm to 6:00pm through the week and Saturdays afternoons!! I spend about 30 minutes on the phone covering all their questions that way when they get here we do the tour and I talk with the child some and then I ask the parent if she has anymore questions. I also give her a folder with handbook and all other papers that needs to be filled out. I tell her to think about if we would be a fit for her child/children and if she can handle my rules in handbook( I say this in a polite but firm way) and if she would like to enroll, fill out ALL my forms (and bring payment)then call me and I be available for a 9:00 to 9:45 play date for her and her child/children to come and meet my other children. This also gives me the chance if needed (because I feel child or parent would not fit here) to say when she calls back, that the opening is filled.

I quickly learned my lesson with doing interviews during open hours!
tenderhearts 07:44 AM 01-14-2011
For my first interview I do after hours, and IF they want to come back when I have kids here that's fine (obviously only if I'm going to move foreward with it) but I have only had 2 clients in all my years ever want to come back during business hours. Safety reasons and it's too hard to talk to someone when you have kids there.
lvt77 02:08 PM 01-14-2011
I have never let parents come during hours. Some will ask can I see what your program is like and bring my child. I tell them out of respect of the other families enrolled that I don't allow non-enrolled vistors into the daycare while it is in session, this even includes my famiy and friends. I teach a preschool program, so often they want to see what it is all about.

About 8 months ago, I made a home video that my husband reorded without editing, blurred out all of the faces of the children and now this is what I show to those families. I also have a scrap book that I have kept over the year showing all of the fun lessons and activties that we do. But only with the parents permission.
Most of the people interviewing have always respected me for this...
I also tell them that there is a two week trial period (paid) no contract and that once they have enrolled they are weclome to come by any time.
Tags:interview, interview tour
Reply Up