Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Age Appropriate Help
Brandy 06:01 PM 01-18-2012
My son just turned 3 last week. However his daycare still has him in a 2 year old class room.
There are 18 kids total in the class room with 2 teachers. My son is fully potty trained, says his ABC's, Counts to 20 and can even count to 10 in Spanish.

The only other kid close to his age is at least 3 months younger than him. This is becoming very frustrating to me. His teachers have all told me that he knows everything there is for him to know in that class.

How long can his daycare keep him in this class room before moving him up?

Thank You for your time.
Heidi 07:44 PM 01-18-2012
If your center follows a school-year program, he is with the same children he will go to kindergarten with.

Schools have dates for moving up a class, with rare exception. You, however, are a paying customer, and this is not a public school. If you are unhappy with the service you are receiving, you need to speak to the director. If they do not meet your needs, you can shop around.

They are not wrong, you are not necessarily right. You are a customer, and either you are happy with the service, you work it out, or you go elsewhere.
SilverSabre25 04:54 AM 01-19-2012
They may be waiting for a space to open up in the three year old classroom. Have you even talked to them about this--respectfullly? Just a "Hey, I was wondering when J will be able to move up to the 3-year old room?" will give you a place to start. Do it nicely--more than likely it is not in the control of the teachers you are speaking with, so no need to be angry with them.

I also agree with bbo, you might want to start looking for another daycare, one where he will be presented with challenges suited to him. Your son sounds very bright.

One final thought...is it frustrating to your son, or just bothering you because of the "number" (his age) involved?
Cat Herder 05:02 AM 01-19-2012
I agree with bbo and Silver.

I worked in big centers and generally one could only move up when someone from the next room was eligible to move.

There was ALWAYS a bottleneck at the 3 year old room because the 4 year old room became the State funded PRE-K. They can't move anyone up to that room until the fall when they are off to school.... (unless a spot opens from a school teacher who has the summer off with her child)
youretooloud 11:18 AM 01-19-2012
I'm glad you are interested in finding him a challenging setting.

I don't know what I would suggest, but, do keep us updated. I hope the school has a good way to solve this, it does sound like he'd be better suited in an older classroom.
Brandy 03:16 PM 01-19-2012
Thanks for all the replies. I have been asking the daycare director for the past month when he would be moved. I never got a direct answer. I was told last week that it was going to be this week. Yesterday I went in to the office and the director told me for sure on Monday he was going to the 3 year old room. Hopefully they will stick by what they say this time! I think it bothered me so much because he just seemed like he was becoming uninterested in what the class was doing. Where as before he always seemed excited and loved learning something new. I think since he has been in the 2 year old class room since he was 22 months old (so he's been in the same room for 14 months) he is getting bored and needs something new to learn. I would love to put him in a better day care, but I can hardly afford the one he is in now. I will let you all know on Monday if they moved him or not. Thank you again.
youretooloud 11:31 AM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Brandy:
Thanks for all the replies. I have been asking the daycare director for the past month when he would be moved. I never got a direct answer. I was told last week that it was going to be this week. Yesterday I went in to the office and the director told me for sure on Monday he was going to the 3 year old room. Hopefully they will stick by what they say this time! I think it bothered me so much because he just seemed like he was becoming uninterested in what the class was doing. Where as before he always seemed excited and loved learning something new. I think since he has been in the 2 year old class room since he was 22 months old (so he's been in the same room for 14 months) he is getting bored and needs something new to learn. I would love to put him in a better day care, but I can hardly afford the one he is in now. I will let you all know on Monday if they moved him or not. Thank you again.

So, you have to just walk in one day, and find out he's in another class? Won't they let him prepare first? I think he should at least get to visit the classroom first. Maybe they can have him come in there for afternoon snack today just so he can see where he'll be next week.
Brandy 02:25 PM 01-20-2012
They were taking him to the threes room every afternoon before Christmas break. After the break however they stopped. Yesterday afternoon they took him over there to play and this morning they finally let him go straight to the threes room! He already knows all the kids in that class since most of them he has been in classes with since he was 6 months old. I can't wait to pick him up and see how his day went! He seemed really excited when I took him in the class room!
SilverSabre25 02:48 PM 01-20-2012
YAY! That's exciting. I'm glad it worked out well for you and for him.
youretooloud 05:00 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Brandy:
They were taking him to the threes room every afternoon before Christmas break. After the break however they stopped. Yesterday afternoon they took him over there to play and this morning they finally let him go straight to the threes room! He already knows all the kids in that class since most of them he has been in classes with since he was 6 months old. I can't wait to pick him up and see how his day went! He seemed really excited when I took him in the class room!

Aww.. I hope he had an exciting day.
dave4him 05:43 PM 01-20-2012
thats awesome progress for his age
Gavin's mommy 09:28 PM 01-22-2012
I picked him up Friday and the teacher said he did great and he said he had fun! He finally gets to play on the big playground and play with all his friends he's been missing! Thank you all!
Michael 01:10 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Gavin's mommy:
I picked him up Friday and the teacher said he did great and he said he had fun! He finally gets to play on the big playground and play with all his friends he's been missing! Thank you all!
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 01-23-2012
I am so glad it worked out!!! I bet he is loving it....
saved4always 05:12 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Gavin's mommy:
Yay!!! I am glad that he had a great day!
Tags:age appropriate, gifted child, ratio - large group
Reply Up