Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did Your Kids Do Pre-K?
greenhouse 01:05 PM 02-10-2012
If your town school offers pre-k did you use it for your own kids? I wasn't going to but I think I'd like to close up shop a year earlier. My son will be on the older side of 4. Was the transition hard if they had been used to being home all the time?
bunnyslippers 02:02 PM 02-10-2012
I put my son in Pre-K this year. I thought it would be good preparation for the transition to Kindergarten. Even though I teach preschool, I wanted him to get used to another teacher giving him direction. The transition was easy and he LOVES it!
Kaddidle Care 02:46 PM 02-10-2012
Mine went to a "Playschool" held in the High School by the Child Development class. The children were study subjects - oh my they learned a lot with mine. The Students researched and applied the curriculum. The cost was $35.00 for supplies and it was 2 hours a day 3 days a week. He had fun there and the student/child ratio was 2 to 1 plus a very experienced Teacher. Win/Win!
Crazy8 05:27 PM 02-10-2012
all 3 of mine went to 2 years of preschool - wasn't a town program or anything, just private paid preschools. I did 2 mornings a week in the 3 yr. old program and then 3 mornings a week in the 4/pre-K programs. They all did fine - adjusted after the first few days. I felt like they needed to get away from me being the "teacher" and them "ruling the roost".
e.j. 06:15 PM 02-10-2012
Both of my kids went to pre-k. My son went to the public pre-k program and my dd attended a private pre-k because by the time she was old enough, we had moved to a town that didn't offer public pre-k. My son had some difficulty but he has always been more of a "homebody" and has difficulty with transitions in general. My dd loved pre-k and had no problem with the transition at all. She's always been very independent and adventurous but I had started my dc business when she was very young so she had never been away from me. I wanted to make sure she would be okay before she had to start Kindergarten. She walked in like she owned the place and didn't look back to say goodbye.

How does your son handle change in most situations? I'll bet that will give you a clue as to how he'll react to pre-k.
Heidi 06:57 PM 02-10-2012
Yes to Pre-K for all4 of mine. After being home with me for 4 years, I felt they needed the transition before full time school. They were used to other kids, and even to other adults, but I thought the combination of other adults/other children/and an "institutional" setting was best served in smaller doses.

Ironically, I have home schooled all four of them a some point, too!
Reply Up