Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question re: Breastfeeding
MissKim 09:48 AM 03-15-2012
I have a DCM that breastfeeds her 10 month baby. She is thin and weighs as much as a 7 month old I have. I just found out that DCM puts water in the bottles to make up for not being able to pump enough. This is scary to me! I breastfed my daughters and would never think to add anything to the milk. Isn't this just watering down the nutrients?
SilverSabre25 09:55 AM 03-15-2012
Yes and it's unsafe. If she feels she isn't pumping enough, she needs to increase her milk supply or start supplementing with formula.

As for her size, that may or may not have anything to do with the watered breastmilk; some kids are just small
Greenplasticwateringcans 10:02 AM 03-15-2012
Very unsafe! If mom is only giving breastmilk the water can throw off baby's electrolytes and cause some pretty serious long term damage.
I would refuse to feed baby the watered down breastmilk as, if it was me, I could be held criminally negligent for knowingly harming a baby.
cheerfuldom 10:49 AM 03-15-2012
giving water to the baby (or watering down breastmilk) could actually be making the breastfeeding issues worse! (besides being unsafe!)

here is THE leading breastfeeding site
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

also, when you discuss this with her, please encourage her to consult a lactation consultant. There are MANY people and organizations that offer free consulting (check with the La Leche League, local hospital or pharmacy) and can help this mom figure out what amount of milk her little one needs, how to pump successfully, etc.

Please say something....what she is doing can harm the baby!
MNMum 11:38 AM 03-15-2012
I agree, do not feed watered down breastmilk. The difference needs be to made up with formula immediately, and if mom is able to boost her milk supply with more frequent pumping. However, at this point(10 months), many mothers have a very difficult time increasing their milk supply with a pump. As a previous poster said, it can be very harmful to the baby's electrolytes and the baby may not be getting enough calories/nutrients.

As for the size of the baby being the indicator, many breastfed babies thin out more quickly than their formula fed peers, so that is difficult to judge. There is actually a separate WHO growth chart for strictly breastfed infants.
greenhouse 11:52 AM 03-15-2012
I watered down my sons Breastmilk! Now I feel terrible. He was a year though and it was only a 2-3 times a week. Mom should try night time pumping to augment supply. If she doesn't want to supplement with formula there are sites to buy Breastmilk from.
SilverSabre25 11:57 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I agree, do not feed watered down breastmilk. The difference needs be to made up with formula immediately, and if mom is able to boost her milk supply with more frequent pumping. However, at this point(10 months), many mothers have a very difficult time increasing their milk supply with a pump. As a previous poster said, it can be very harmful to the baby's electrolytes and the baby may not be getting enough calories/nutrients.

As for the size of the baby being the indicator, many breastfed babies thin out more quickly than their formula fed peers, so that is difficult to judge. There is actually a separate WHO growth chart for strictly breastfed infants.
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I watered down my sons Breastmilk! Now I feel terrible. He was a year though and it was only a 2-3 times a week. Mom should try night time pumping to augment supply. If she doesn't want to supplement with formula there are sites to buy Breastmilk from.
I'm sorry but I'm going to step in here and say that both of you are incorrect; increased pumping is NOT going to fix the problem. She needs to NURSE more instead of pump, and she needs to be making sure she is drinking enough water as well as eating things that are known to help boost supply, such as oatmeal and taking taking fenugreek supplements.
cheerfuldom 12:01 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm sorry but I'm going to step in here and say that both of you are incorrect; increased pumping is NOT going to fix the problem. She needs to NURSE more instead of pump, and she needs to be making sure she is drinking enough water as well as eating things that are known to help boost supply, such as oatmeal and taking taking fenugreek supplements.
Actually, increasing pumping CAN increase supply however the ideal solution would be for mom to nurse more as nursing pulls more milk from the breast than pumping does. There is plenty more ideas on the site I posted (including hydrating, oatmeal and supplements like Silver mentioned). Nursing would be the first option but for a working mom, pumping more, pumping between nursing sessions at home, pumping at night, could all be good options.
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up