Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Accept Cloth Diapers At Their Home Daycare?
Emsdayhome 08:05 AM 09-10-2013
I have one little full timer in cloth diapers. Does anyone else do this? How do you store the diapers they come with each day? Just curious to see, and bounce ideas. Thanks!
bgmeyers 08:11 AM 09-10-2013
I do. It's no big deal. They bring a clean wet/dry bag that goes home every day. I keep a supply of about 15 to 20 diapers and a few wraps in his cubby and they refill every few days.
craftymissbeth 08:12 AM 09-10-2013
I do for a 12 week old dcb. I love the reasons behind CD, but it's a pain doing it for a dck, IMO. I know many providers don't mind it at all and there's even one here that provides CD for all of her dck's during daycare hours.

I prefer the prefolds with a Snappi and dck prefers pockets and AIO's so she leaves all her prefolds here for me to use. When theyve been used I simply throw them in the wet bag, she washes them and brings them back to me.
LoraJenkins 08:21 AM 09-10-2013
I only supply CDs. I just keep a supply here that I launder. I use perfolds, snappis with covers and pocket diapers. Not that much of a big deal to me. I have 2 in diapers right now but have had up to 5 at the same time. I just did diaper laundry each night.
lovemylife 08:23 AM 09-10-2013
I have an 11 month old that started yesterday that is using cloth diapers. I have always been interested in using CD for my own children, never did. I can see why some providers don't accept CD because it does take a little more time but I don't mind. Mom brings a wet/dry bag, just toss the soiled ones in there and mom cleans them. This mom does it a little different than what I have heard. Using the old cloth diapers folding them and putting them in the snap cover.
Laurel 09:36 AM 09-10-2013
No, but if anyone is willing to tell me, I'd like to be educated on how it works nowadays. Back when mine were young we folded a diaper or there were what they called prefolded ones that were just thicker. We used diaper pins to close and then put rubber pants on the baby (which leaked sometimes).

If baby had a poopy diaper, we would put solids in the toilet and if it was sticky, we would kind of slosh it up and down in the toilet to get poopy off and then launder. There were diaper inserts that were disposable (for bm's) but most people didn't use them. It was about the time diaper disposables were being introduced (early 70's) so I just started using disposables. There were also diaper services. They would take soiled ones and drop off clean ones.

I see some now that look like all in one diapers that just snap on. I just "Googled" nappies but it only shows some kind of plastic thing that must be used instead of pins. I'm confused, lol. No rubber pants except I imagine they are in the fabric snap kind. What about if you just use a regular diaper and the plastic type thing?

Thanks, if anybody wants to explain.

Wow, I can't believe I've been watching babies for 20 years and don't know how to use a cloth diaper anymore!!! I remember when my first was born in 1974 my husband and I were reading the Dr. Spock book and trying to fold a cloth diaper like the illustration. Ahhh, cute memory!

Laurel
melilley 09:53 AM 09-10-2013
I have one child in CD's here and he is 2. He has some that are waterproof and some that aren't. His parents try to send the waterproof one's, but if they run out, then he wears the non waterproof ones and they send dcb in these wool pants that have lanolin inside of them to stop anything from leaking outside of the pants. To tell you the truth, the CD's that aren't waterproof look so comfy, some are even plush!

They just bring diapers everyday (he's here 3 days a week) and bring a wet bag. For the poopy ones, I sometimes turn it over and whatever falls out is what comes out and the rest goes in a bag in the wet bag. I don't mind CD's at all, but I refuse to wipe any poo out.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
I have one little full timer in cloth diapers. Does anyone else do this? How do you store the diapers they come with each day? Just curious to see, and bounce ideas. Thanks!
I have cloth diapered toddlers. Their parents just bring a daily supply of diapers and a wet bag for me to put the soiled diapers in to bring home.

I wish ALL my parents used cloth diapers as just the eco-friendliness of them is more than worth it.
Leanna 09:59 AM 09-10-2013
My 1.5 y.o. DCG is my fourth cloth diapered DCK. I don't mind them at all.

Each baby has a drawer in the changing table and their parents supply clean diapers daily. The wet/dirty ones go in a wet bag that they take home daily.

I will dump "solid" poopy in the toilet but don't do any rinsing etc. (It is actually not allowed per regulations here).

Most of my DCK's have used the all-in-one types with Velcro or snaps, but one used the type that had tp be folded and held together with a snappy.

One mom I recently interviewed told me I was the only provider she spoke with who would even consider cloth diapers - so if you do accept them it could be a feature that draws some people in!
melilley 10:00 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
No, but if anyone is willing to tell me, I'd like to be educated on how it works nowadays. Back when mine were young we folded a diaper or there were what they called prefolded ones that were just thicker. We used diaper pins to close and then put rubber pants on the baby (which leaked sometimes).

If baby had a poopy diaper, we would put solids in the toilet and if it was sticky, we would kind of slosh it up and down in the toilet to get poopy off and then launder. There were diaper inserts that were disposable (for bm's) but most people didn't use them. It was about the time diaper disposables were being introduced (early 70's) so I just started using disposables. There were also diaper services. They would take soiled ones and drop off clean ones.

I see some now that look like all in one diapers that just snap on. I just "Googled" nappies but it only shows some kind of plastic thing that must be used instead of pins. I'm confused, lol. No rubber pants except I imagine they are in the fabric snap kind. What about if you just use a regular diaper and the plastic type thing?

Thanks, if anybody wants to explain.

Wow, I can't believe I've been watching babies for 20 years and don't know how to use a cloth diaper anymore!!! I remember when my first was born in 1974 my husband and I were reading the Dr. Spock book and trying to fold a cloth diaper like the illustration. Ahhh, cute memory!

Laurel
My dcb has these waterproof CD's. The outside is waterproof and on the inside are these cloth strips. They just snap on the outside and there are different locations for the snaps so they can wear them as they grow. He also has some non waterproof CD's and when he has those, he wears these wool pants with lanolin rubbed inside of them to prevent leaks. Sometimes he doesn't wear the pants so I have to check his diaper often. Then you just put the wet or poopy diaper in a wet bag. I will flip the diaper over and whatever falls out, (poo wise) falls out the rest stays in the diaper and goes in a bag in the wet bag. I refuse to wipe it out.

I really don't mind CD's, they aren't much different than cloth, but I will admit that the BM's are what I don't like at all. You can't just throw the whole thing away!

I don't remember what brand they are or I would send you a link as to what they look like. Dcb isn't here today.
Size18 10:17 AM 09-10-2013
I raised my own children in cloth diapers... old-fashioned cloth diapers, and for those times I babysat and took in neighbourhood children in cloth diapers, I stored the wet and dirties in a plastic bread bag, which was (at the end of the day) sent home with the moms.

For proper containment (odour/wetness), I prefer a plastic diaper pail for the storage of cloth diapers. With a plastic pail, messes/wetness is contained 100%, no surprises... whereas with bread bags/plastic bags, etc, leaks and messes can happen.

I have no experience with the new modern wet-bags, so can't elaborate on them, however, if the wet-bag method works and gets the job down, then I'd stick with it so as not to inconvenience or burden the mom with having to find and purchase a special pail for the occasion.

As far as cloth diapers taking extra time to deal with (changing, rinsing, storing, and so forth), I never noticed that part. Using cloth (for me) became matter-a-fact like, and once you establish a method and routine, you'll be amazed at smooth and quick the process is.

By the way, the newer more modern method that the mom is using (with the snap cover, etc), sounds equally as speedy as changing a disposable diaper. Even with the traditional flat cloth, pins, and rubber pants method that I used, I don't remember it ever taking me longer than a minute or two to change someone's pants.
EAP 10:19 AM 09-10-2013
I use cloth on my son, accept cloth and beginning next year will supply all enrolled children with cloth to wear in my care. I just store all my diapers un-assembled, I have a mix of pockets, pre-folds and covers. I have a large garbage pail with a large wet bag and do diapers every third day. It's something I really believe in, we also don't use any paper towels but we still use disposable wipes, that's the next thing to go.
Size18 10:24 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by EAP
we still use disposable wipes, that's the next thing to go.
A great Eco-friendly alternative to disposable wipes... flat flannelette diapers. For small messes I used cotton baby washcloths, for bigger messes I'd reach for a flannelette.
LoraJenkins 10:44 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
I use cloth on my son, accept cloth and beginning next year will supply all enrolled children with cloth to wear in my care. I just store all my diapers un-assembled, I have a mix of pockets, pre-folds and covers. I have a large garbage pail with a large wet bag and do diapers every third day. It's something I really believe in, we also don't use any paper towels but we still use disposable wipes, that's the next thing to go.
I use cloth wipes. Basically just baby washcloths that are 100% cotton. They go into the diaper pail along with the diaper. I keep the day's supply wet in a container with just water. I love that I don't have to buy diapers or wipes ever again
MotherNature 11:19 AM 09-10-2013
We do cloth here. Most of my clients use cloth, as do we ourselves. Poop gets sprayed off with a diaper sprayer & any dirty/wet diaper goes into either a plastic grocery bag or wetbag if the parent brings one. I do not supply diapers for others, or wipes. The CD families generally use cloth wipes, as it makes it easier to just toss everything into the laundry, rather than separating out disposable wipes. There are so many options now, including fleece or disposable diaper liners that make poop such a non-issue. Good luck!
Emsdayhome 11:19 AM 09-10-2013
love to see so many providers using Cloth! I cloth diapered all 4 of my own kiddos, I love to see kids in cloth. Mum sends in a days worth of diapers, I send them home in a wetbag to be washed , seems to work for us.
Size18 11:22 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Laurel
Wow, I can't believe I've been watching babies for 20 years and don't know how to use a cloth diaper anymore!!! I remember when my first was born in 1974 my husband and I were reading the Dr. Spock book and trying to fold a cloth diaper like the illustration.
It's like a riding a bike... one quick try to refresh... and you'd have it down-pat once again.
slorey 11:26 AM 09-10-2013
I accept cloth diapers. All of my diaper kids (and non-diaper kids if space permits at the time) have a labeled, clear plastic box on the shelf under my changing table that I store their diapers, extra clothes, etc in. The parents bring the diapers every day along with a clean wet bag. After changes I put the diaper in the wet bag and send them home for the parents to clean. I will occasionally dump the contents, but our regulations do not allow me to actually clean the diaper. I keep my numbers low though (no more than 4 littles) so storage has not been an issue yet.
Angelsj 11:39 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
I use cloth wipes. Basically just baby washcloths that are 100% cotton. They go into the diaper pail along with the diaper. I keep the day's supply wet in a container with just water. I love that I don't have to buy diapers or wipes ever again
I don't supply, but I will CD and I use cloth wipes. I will also launder if asked, but so far, everyone has wanted to do their own. I have no issues with it.
Lavender 12:16 PM 09-10-2013
I used cloth diapers and wipes with my own kids but none at the daycare use them. The center I work at does allow it though. I guess they had one once before I started working there.
Reply Up