Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning Need Advice
kelsey's kids 08:44 AM 10-22-2013
I am sure there are related threads but my phone wont let me search so here it goes. We seem to have a nasty stomach bug going around 6 kids in five days with 2 day excluding. How do you recommend disinfecting so we can at least slow it down. I have washed all the soft toys in hot with vinegar in the washer and bleached all the hard toys that dont take batteries in the bathtub with bleach. Wiped down all the big stuff with lysol and did a lysol spray on all door nobs ect. Nothing seems to be effectively killing the germs. What do you all do and or use in this situation?
SilverSabre25 08:48 AM 10-22-2013
Clean the carpets? wipe light switches and door knobs? Open up all the windows (even if it's cold!) and let the house air out?

To be fair though, unless they seem to be reinfecting each other (same kids get sick, get better, get sick again) then I'd say you've killed germs...you just have to wait out the tide of what had already been exposed.
Familycare71 08:49 AM 10-22-2013
If it was truly cycling (kids getting it more than once) I would close for two days. If everyone was just getting it I would probably ride it out. Unfortunately they are contagious before you know - I can't think of anything else for you to do besides maybe lysoling furniture- and making sure floors are disinfected as well.
SilverSabre25 08:54 AM 10-22-2013
Also, after a stomach bug I make sure to give lots of good yogurt (the kind with live cultures) to help restore proper gut florae. For my own family I boost immune system with plenty of Vitamin D (we take a liquid supplement) and Vitamin B-complex, and a separate probiotic supplement as well.
Familycare71 08:58 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Also, after a stomach bug I make sure to give lots of good yogurt (the kind with live cultures) to help restore proper gut florae. For my own family I boost immune system with plenty of Vitamin D (we take a liquid supplement) and Vitamin B-complex, and a separate probiotic supplement as well.
Yes! Acidophilus is my friend!! I recommend it to dcp too
Cat Herder 09:15 AM 10-22-2013
I do what your doing minus the vinegar solution (bleach, lysol and ProForce Lemon, only). Plus:

Double up on handwashing, kids included.

Use only one use hand towels for everything.

Keep kids nails trimmed and hair pulled back.

Wash all dishes in dishwasher with heated dry.

Run a room air purifier and/or fan to prevent stagnant air. Change ac/heat air filters often.

Allow room to get **cold** and completely open to fresh air a couple times a week (if possible, even 15 minutes helps).

Rotate clean toys daily.
BrooklynM 09:20 AM 10-22-2013
I love my steam cleaner. I just got it about 3 weeks ago. Its great for the toys that are hard to clean that you cant put in the dishwasher. I should mention that I hate cleaning so for me to get excited over cleaning is not normal.You can also use it on top of carpets.I have foam tiles that I also use it on.Its a Haan.I got it on Amazon.

I also have a container outside my daycare room that I drop toys into when they go in any of the kids mouths. I have one that puts EVERYTHING into his mouth, and he happens to be the one with a constant runny nose so I clean those toys at naptime or throw them in the dishwasher.
SilverSabre25 09:21 AM 10-22-2013
Cat herder has great points, as usual. I forgot about the furnace filter. yes change that too!
kelsey's kids 09:31 AM 10-22-2013
Great tips thanks. What would you do to make dishes cleaner if you didnt have a dishwasher?
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
Great tips thanks. What would you do to make dishes cleaner if you didnt have a dishwasher?
Add a middle step like in restaurants. Wash, quick soak (30 sec) in bleach water, then rinse & air dry.
slorey 09:36 AM 10-22-2013
I would make sure to do a sanitize dip. Wash-rinse-sanitize-air dry. You can create a sanitizing solution with bleach (not sure of the ratio) or I assume a restaurant supply place probably sells something that could be used for sanitizing.
Cat Herder 09:41 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
(not sure of the ratio)
1:10 is the standard.
countrymom 09:48 AM 10-22-2013
I use to go crazy and clean like mad when there was a sickness. But then I stopped and looked at what was going on. First I noticed it was the same kids getting sick, so it was something that was coming from their house. Also, funny how kids would be fine here all week and then the weekend comes and they become ill. I could clean till the cows come home, but it was totally defeating the purpose when it wasn't my house where the illness was coming from.
so now I don't clean. I open windows, and shampoo the rugs and wipe things down as needed. Also, I let parents know that they need to dress their kids properly.
kelsey's kids 10:18 AM 10-22-2013
I believe that it is being spread here because I am sending home middle of week and every kid seems to have same symptoms. No fever but headache, slight cough, throwing up.
Cat Herder 10:44 AM 10-22-2013
I believe that it is being spread here because I am sending home middle of week and every kid seems to have same symptoms. No fever but headache, slight cough, throwing up.
By any chance have you had your carpet/furniture professionally cleaned lately???

I had a bad round of what you are describing once and the inhalation of longterm/concentrated fumes from taking naps, on mats, on the carpets turned out to be the culprit.

I was shocked, it never occurred to me. They were supposed to inform me of that risk before they left, but did not.

It was almost a month before the fumes stopped making us nauseas when the windows were closed. We had to move to another room entirely. I have hardwoods, now, because of that.
kelsey's kids 10:54 AM 10-22-2013
No professional cleaning. I have a bissel shampooer I use about once a month or when necessary but have never had a reaction to it.
JoseyJo 11:08 AM 10-22-2013
We have always had a very low level of illnesses here (knock on wood!!) and we don't do anything differently when they get ill than we do any other time.

We always steam sanitize the floors daily.

Bathroom is sanitized at nap and thoroughly cleaned very evening.

Any mouthed toy immediately goes in the yucky bucket to be sanitized (we don't have under 1.5 so we do not allow them to mouth toys, as soon as it goes in the mouth it is taken away and we say " only food goes in our mouths, we have to clean that now")

We all wash our hands (littles included) upon arrival, after potty, before/after eating, after coming inside, and anytime I see them when their hands in their mouth or nose.

We do not have dress up clothes anymore to prevent cross contamination.

We exclude children when they have a fever of over 101, throw up, have diarrhea x2, have an obviously contagious illness (like a rash, pink eye), or are unable to participate in the day. We probably exclude children less than 5 times a year total (we have between 7-9 children total)

We have a good group of parents for the most part who mostly keep their child home when contagious sick. That helps a lot I think!!

We do have a cold going around right now- With most viruses they are almost always contagious before they become ill so we don't exclude unless they have above symptoms. We have sent 1 child home due to inability to participate in the day (no fever, just very whiny, fussy and lethargic 5yo).
BrooklynM 11:25 AM 10-22-2013
A friend of mine told me about baking soda. I buy it in bulk now. If I'm washing by hand, I rinse the dishes first and then soak them in very hot soapy water and add in some baking soda. Baking soda is also great to add to sandboxes, put on your carpets before vacuuming, in laundry, etc. Mix it with white vinegar and it makes a magic potion to clean your drains.

I have not researched the baking soda, I probably should, but she's really healthy so whenever she tells me about something I usually trust it. She is very anti chemicals.
MamaBearCanada 11:40 AM 10-22-2013
In addition to the above I take a Lysol wipe & wipe anywhere they may have touched - doors, chairs, tables, handrails, garbage can, appliance handles and front, door knobs, top & sides of baby gate, window ledges. I clean the faucets, sink and toilet after every use. Open the windows as much as you can. No shoes in the house they carry so many germs.

I only go this extreme for really bad stomach bugs.

A big one for me with hand washing dishes is to make sure you change the cloth/sponge after each meal when kids are sick and don't use that sponge or cloth to clean counters. Bacteria loves sponges. I have a dishwasher but still have to hand wash some things. My grandmother used to boil her dishcloths at the end of each day!
se7en 04:05 PM 10-22-2013
You can microwave sponges to sanitize them.
kelsey's kids 04:11 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:401656:
A friend of mine told me about baking soda. I buy it in bulk now. If I'm washing by hand, I rinse the dishes first and then soak them in very hot soapy water and add in some baking soda. Baking soda is also great to add to sandboxes, put on your carpets before vacuuming, in laundry, etc. Mix it with white vinegar and it makes a magic potion to clean your drains.

I have not researched the baking soda, I probably should, but she's really healthy so whenever she tells me about something I usually trust it. She is very anti chemicals.
We also buy baking soda in bulk for all those things plus it is a great toothpaste, face wash, and gets the stick on stuff off of dishes
daycare 04:16 PM 10-22-2013
I have only ever had to do this one time, but what I will do is bleach everything and then leave all of my windows open over night. The house will be freezing in the morning for about an hour until the heater gets it back to normal.

When the kids are all starting to get sick, I am like a crazy woman with the thermometer and constantly checking them out. You can clean until the cows come home and everyone may continue to get sick. The only way to really reduce the spread of the illness is to remove the sick children..........

I hate dealing with illness.
Unregistered 05:04 PM 10-22-2013
Lysol and Chlorox wipes do not kill the viruses that cause stomach bugs. Only bleach and Lysol III spray kill those viruses. Kids are also contagious for 72 hours AFTER symptoms are completely gone. Hand sanitizer also does not kill it.
kelsey's kids 09:44 AM 10-23-2013
What is lysol lll spray? I just have lysol spray.
Tags:toys - clean
Reply Up